Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 05:29 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I’m getting a little concerned as well. Our officers and investigators seem to go over everything with a fine tooth comb so as not to have anything fall through the cracks. I’m hoping all their hard work isn’t for naught!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 10:31 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Thanks so much for bringing structure to that horrible story, Mike. It's good to have a "mental map" when the trial unfolds/more news trickles in. As I became reacquainted with the story, it's just left me feeling depressed. There are people in this world who will murder their innocent children because of superstition. And then there are of course also people who will murder as many strangers as they can (like in Monterey Park) for whatever unfathomable reason. Or knife college students to death just to prove how smart they are. Etc. Etc. It's good to remember that we hear the news of these kinds of stories precisely because they are aberrations. I still believe that most people are good and decent human beings...

Back to the subject: I found out that Netflix has been running a series on Vallow and Daybell, The Sins of Our Mother (which is a really weird title), so I was watching the first episode this evening. It's a good companion piece to Banjomike's analyses and timelines--if you can stand watching it.

I watched the whole Netflix series. It was so disturbing I felt like I had to take a mental shower afterwards (how do you do that? Watch Little House on the Prairie?). The bare, brutal facts of the murder of the children--and who knows how many others in the family, at least 2 persons--combined with Zombie delusions. Hard to watch. The special doesn't reveal the cause of death of the children--that will be addressed at the trial.

Old 02-18-2023, 04:49 AM

Yes, the show was quite disturbing! To this day, it’s still hard to wrap my brain around all of this. That there are people so demented they would kill their own children.

Old 03-08-2023, 10:15 PM

From the Idaho Statesman March 8:

"Idaho judge lays out rules on phones, buttons, remote viewing for Lori Daybell trial"

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...#storylink=cpy

Quote:
The public can attend the trial in-person at the Ada County Courthouse in Boise, where an overflow room will be set up for additional seating. Boyce is prohibiting media cameras, live video broadcasts and a live audio feed.

Old 03-09-2023, 04:47 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
I think this separation was a very good decision.
I believe both trials will be decided with much more circumstantial evidence than direct physical evidence.

The evidence is unequal. I believe there's more circumstances surrounding Lori Vallow than Chad Daybell, but more direct evidence that ties Chad to his crimes than there is for Lori's involvment in them. And their crimes are different in both action and intention.

As a joint trial, that warned me to think that one of them could actually escape conviction and the other one could get all the blame and be convicted.

And in my mind, the real perpetrator in these murders is meek, timid, Chad Daybell. Lori is such a spectaculary glamorous nut case she's gotten all the attention from the first, but as I've watched all of this transpire, I came to believe it all started and happened from Chad the schlump.

He's the most classic "The Last Guy I Would Ever Believe Capable of Committing" guy I've ever seen, and Chad's mental faculties are completely intact.
I'm sure he's spent the past year concocting a pile of very good alternatives to his guilt while he's been in jail, and he's much more intelligent than he lets on.

He's the most cold-blooded person of the pair by far, and he's a very experienced crime plotter- he made his living writing about religious murder for years, and his novels are all blueprints that he employed to get what he wanted the most in his life.

Chad will be the last to be tried. That's good, because Lori's trial will build some firm circumstances that if carefully made, will implicate Chad as the instigator- the mastermind who stays hidden and orchestrates all others to do his dirty work.
That trial will be the one that's the most critical to seeing he's properly convicted for his crimes, and that's going to be a lot more difficult to do for the prosecution. And for his defense. Idaho's best law team is on this case, so the trial will be really something to watch if possible.

No matter how a jury will decide for Lori, she's up the river for good now I believe. She will spend the rest of her life behind bars, if not in prison, it will be in a mental hospital for the criminally insane.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:53 AM

The Lori Vallow trial began yesterday with jury selection. Apparently Clay Daybell's lawyer was present in the courtroom. YouTube is full of long and short reports. NewsNation is digging into the case, but based on their track record with the Kohberger case I wouldn't trust everything they say they can reveal.

Old 04-04-2023, 11:53 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
I think you meant to say "Chad" instead of "Clay", CFF.
I'ts no surprise tio me that someone in Chad's legal team would be there.

There is going to be a lot of evidence that will be seen and heard for the first time now. Some of it has been held very tightly by the prosecution, and other by the defense. It all can be used on Chad in his later trial.

I don't think any of it will come out just yet. The jury will need to get a very long story first about everything that happened before people began dying.

Circumstantial evidence is strong when it's a long chain of small details that all follow, link by link, to only one logical conclusion.

The story needs to be well told by the prosecution while the defense is trying constantly to interupt the cohesion of the story- the stuff that ties it together. The pace is always slow.

That's the way these trials go.
Trials like this are ones that can provide the best Perry Mason moments sometimes; lawyers get to make some dramatic speeches, big surprises are revealed, and the outcome is always more uncertain in circumstantial trials.

When there is lots of physical evidence, the evidence does the talking and the trial moves along at a faster pace.

This trial will have some of both, but it's mostly circumstantial.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think you meant to say "Chad" instead of "Clay", CFF.
I'ts no surprise tio me that someone in Chad's legal team would be there.

There is going to be a lot of evidence that will be seen and heard for the first time now. Some of it has been held very tightly by the prosecution, and other by the defense. It all can be used on Chad in his later trial.

I don't think any of it will come out just yet. The jury will need to get a very long story first about everything that happened before people began dying.

Circumstantial evidence is strong when it's a long chain of small details that all follow, link by link, to only one logical conclusion.

The story needs to be well told by the prosecution while the defense is trying constantly to interupt the cohesion of the story- the stuff that ties it together. The pace is always slow.

That's the way these trials go.
Trials like this are ones that can provide the best Perry Mason moments sometimes; lawyers get to make some dramatic speeches, big surprises are revealed, and the outcome is always more uncertain in circumstantial trials.

When there is lots of physical evidence, the evidence does the talking and the trial moves along at a faster pace.

This trial will have some of both, but it's mostly circumstantial.

Absolutely, sorry about that. Chad Daybell! (It's easier to say Clay Daybell! )

Old 04-05-2023, 09:12 AM

Pretty interesting account of the jury selection from yesterday:
https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/0...-murder-trial/

Old 04-06-2023, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Pretty interesting account of the jury selection from yesterday:
https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/0...-murder-trial/
Yes! Nate Eaton with East Idaho News has been on the story since the gates opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho