Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 03:23 AM

1,066 posts, read 783,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1l3mm4 View Post
So where we lived for most of my children's early years was a college town of about 65,000 (where about 20,000-25,000 were college students). All the kids played sports and the families would all get together for pizza after games and the kids would run around and play. Everyone lived fairly close so there were always kids running up and down the streets having fun. I never had to drive them to school, nor did they have to take a bus, they could walk or ride their bikes with their friends, safely everyday. I did have to commute about 30 minutes to work but it was totally worth it. If me or my wife couldn’t get them to a practice or a game, all the parent groups were always offering, same with us. There were always other peoples kids at other peoples houses, whether it was for dinner or before or after sports, whatever the case. Where we have been living now for the last two years I still haven’t even seen the faces of all my neighbors. I literally just found out yesterday the guy who lives across from me has a wife and two kids! I’ve never seen them, and I am always in the garage, with the door up, either working out, doing some weird project, or hobby. But my older kids are 16 and 13 now, and with my 2.5 year old I want to find another place like where I came from. With about a 50/50 chance of getting this job offer we’d be able to move to Idaho and put down roots for the baby. That’s kind of what I’m looking for.
You're basically describing our family's experience, except with no commute...and we're in Idaho's largest city. Specifically, the North End of Boise. IMO, you need to be looking at neighborhoods, not entire cities. And it requires work to maintain. We make an effort to welcome and get to know new neighbors with fresh baked cookies, organize block parties, etc.

banjomike, I've run out of reputation points for you. Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write such interesting and informative posts. A wealth of knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,937 times
I couldn't recommend Nampa more. I think Caldwell is a pretty good option as well. But I really like Nampa. I hope to hear where you land! Have a great 4th of July weekend!

Old 07-05-2022, 12:07 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
I know this site is a good place to start, but eventually you will need to be on the ground to figure out where to live. Nampa and Caldwell have many nice neighborhoods, but you have to see them to figure out if you want to pick a particular area of the towns (or any town anywhere). The house you see online looks great, and the street looks great, but two blocks away might be a big run down apartment complex, or sketchy streets full of mainly rental properties that show the years of abuse. You certainly won't want your kids walking to school past these areas.

If you are looking at this as a long-term place to live then find the neighborhood you like, truly like, and then find the right house there. Lots of neighborhoods are walkable for kids in the Boise area, as well as surrounding towns. I live out in Mountain Home, and kids walk everywhere (or ride bikes). There just aren't many activities for them to ride to. I guess it's somewhat a symptom of the the internet and gaming, and busy parents, but it's extremely rare to see kids start up their own pick-up baseball or football game in a park. I see some basketball games. There a plenty of organized soccer games/leagues. Maybe when the under construction community center (think YMCA type) is completed there will be more youth program activities here in Mountain Home. Boise likely has those programs, as maybe Twin Falls, Idaho Falls, Pocatello, and Moscow might. Any of these towns can be a good fit for your family. As most people will say, rent first, explore the neighborhoods/towns, and then buy your long-term house that checks your needs. Unless you pick your house poorly... crime isn't much of a problem in any Idaho town.

Old 07-16-2022, 09:59 AM

159 posts, read 188,219 times
I'm originally from CA, now in TN( big mistake).I lived in Caldwell for 6 years and was never crazy about it. If I were to move back it would be to Twin Falls. They have everything and not as crowded as shopping in Meridian or Boise.

Old 07-16-2022, 01:01 PM

10 posts, read 10,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowgirl View Post
I'm originally from CA, now in TN( big mistake)
I would love to hear your thoughts on why TN was a big mistake for you. What part of TN did you move to? I have narrowed down my search to ID and TN, for now at least. Keeps changing lol.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:24 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudAmer3 View Post
I would love to hear your thoughts on why TN was a big mistake for you. What part of TN did you move to? I have narrowed down my search to ID and TN, for now at least. Keeps changing lol.
I have family that moved from Southern CA to TN. The biggest difference is the humidity in Summer. Other than that they love it. Lower cost of living, less expensive housing, very friendly people, traffic is a minor issue compared to CA's big cities, great outdoor things to do and a 1 day drive to East Coast beaches or the Gulf, and warm water. Plenty of restaurants and things to do, though CA does have more. CA is a special place, but for many either they cannot afford it or they are tired of traffic and the cost of living there even if they can afford it. Each persons choice.

Now some parts of TN are not as desirable. I would pick from Nashville to Knoxville but not the West end of the State. Depend if you want rural or suburbs or city living, though they are all close enough that what you need is close.

I also have family living in TF and it is also a very nice place, though I lean towards the Boise area.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:59 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
If you pay traditional income tax, note that TN has no state income tax.

Old 07-17-2022, 05:37 AM

159 posts, read 188,219 times
We miss ID. ID had very low crime, TN doesn't. It has lots of drugs. We made the big mistake of buying in a rural area. People drive like idiots in these narrow country roads. We are in Greeneville, but trying to buy a home now closer to Knoxville. I hate the humidity and bugs!!
We bought a Subaru in ID, great in the snow.
The southern hospitality in most parts no longer exists. Only in the tourists areas. But we do love the Smokey's and it is beautiful here. Just spend some time here before making a decision.
I would suggest East TN over Nashville.
No place is like CA "WAS"!!

Old 07-17-2022, 12:07 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudAmer3 View Post
Yes I understand that TN has a very high crime rate.

Old 07-17-2022, 12:08 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowgirl View Post
We miss ID. ID had very low crime, TN doesn't. It has lots of drugs. We made the big mistake of buying in a rural area. People drive like idiots in these narrow country roads. We are in Greeneville, but trying to buy a home now closer to Knoxville. I hate the humidity and bugs!!
We bought a Subaru in ID, great in the snow.
The southern hospitality in most parts no longer exists. Only in the tourists areas. But we do love the Smokey's and it is beautiful here. Just spend some time here before making a decision.
I would suggest East TN over Nashville.
No place is like CA "WAS"!!
Thanks for confirming the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho