Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 03:13 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
The summer of 2021 when we had several days of smoke filled skies is when I purchased day light light bulbs for every fixture in our house. Big difference!!
Yes- those daylight bulbs do make a huge difference! Those warm white bulbs may make your eyes happy, but they won't fight the depression at all.

A big part of SADD is the increasing lack of natural daylight in the winter months. Those daylight bulbs, no matter what kind they are, very closely imitate natural daylight's color spectrum.

They cannot, however, ever equal natural daylight's power; nothing can equal the power of the sun. The bulbs have to stay lit pretty much continuously to do their work. For me, that makes for a very brightly lit house all winter until it's my bedtime. The sudden darkness actually helps me sleep better when I turn all the lights off.

I think SADD is genetic. I've had it all my life, and I know my mother had it, even though she never knew she did. Pres. Lincoln had it, for sure; he called it The Black Dog, and often mentioned it in his daily journals in the winter.

I use his term for it. It's a constant fight for me every winter, and I quite often lose the fight. But if I take a lot of vitamin D, more vitamins in general than I usually take, and turn on all the lights, the worst of the Black Dog is kept at bay for me.

The only time in my life I never had to wrestle the Black Dog was during my hitch in the Navy.

I was stationed on a ship that was sent to the Southern Hemisphere in the winter months, and south of the Equator, the seasons reverse; I would always sail southward in late fall in the USA into late spring, and would spend the months of our winter in the summer months down on the southern half of the world.

So I never spent a full winter here in the U.S. for 4 years. And I never suffered from SADD at all for those years. We didn't return until it was late fall down there, so I had nothing but endless summer for 4 full years.

That was the only time in my life when snowfall was a rarity. I missed Idaho snow a lot more than I missed the dark of winter, for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 05:58 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yes- those daylight bulbs do make a huge difference! Those warm white bulbs may make your eyes happy, but they won't fight the depression at all.

A big part of SADD is the increasing lack of natural daylight in the winter months. Those daylight bulbs, no matter what kind they are, very closely imitate natural daylight's color spectrum.

They cannot, however, ever equal natural daylight's power; nothing can equal the power of the sun. The bulbs have to stay lit pretty much continuously to do their work. For me, that makes for a very brightly lit house all winter until it's my bedtime. The sudden darkness actually helps me sleep better when I turn all the lights off.

I think SADD is genetic. I've had it all my life, and I know my mother had it, even though she never knew she did. Pres. Lincoln had it, for sure; he called it The Black Dog, and often mentioned it in his daily journals in the winter.

I use his term for it. It's a constant fight for me every winter, and I quite often lose the fight. But if I take a lot of vitamin D, more vitamins in general than I usually take, and turn on all the lights, the worst of the Black Dog is kept at bay for me.

The only time in my life I never had to wrestle the Black Dog was during my hitch in the Navy.

I was stationed on a ship that was sent to the Southern Hemisphere in the winter months, and south of the Equator, the seasons reverse; I would always sail southward in late fall in the USA into late spring, and would spend the months of our winter in the summer months down on the southern half of the world.

So I never spent a full winter here in the U.S. for 4 years. And I never suffered from SADD at all for those years. We didn't return until it was late fall down there, so I had nothing but endless summer for 4 full years.

That was the only time in my life when snowfall was a rarity. I missed Idaho snow a lot more than I missed the dark of winter, for sure.
You’re correct that there is no substitute for actual sunlight. I’m fortunate not to suffer from SADD in the typical fashion; winter. Mine rather comes with the smoke filled skies, my brain knows it’s supposed to be blue skies and sunshine.

Old 10-22-2022, 10:17 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
...Mine rather comes with the smoke filled skies, my brain knows it’s supposed to be blue skies and sunshine.
We were fortunate this year in NID. Just a few weeks of smoke and not heavy to the point where one didn't want to go outside. It was more like a hazy smog-filled summer day in L.A.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-22-2022, 04:26 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
We were fortunate this year in NID. Just a few weeks of smoke and not heavy to the point where one didn't want to go outside. It was more like a hazy smog-filled summer day in L.A.
Same here volvosong, summer of 2021 was rough though.

Old 10-26-2022, 06:44 AM

344 posts, read 144,730 times
SaDD is very real. Suicide is very high in Idaho. Especially among the young children. My neighbhors son shot himself in the head, another neighbhor about a mile away had their 15 years old hang himself from the ceiling fan.

We have had them as young as 1o years old take their lives. This never make the news as negative news in Idaho is controlled.

Old 10-26-2022, 12:21 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,107,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaEnd View Post
SaDD is very real. Suicide is very high in Idaho. Especially among the young children. My neighbhors son shot himself in the head, another neighbhor about a mile away had their 15 years old hang himself from the ceiling fan.

We have had them as young as 1o years old take their lives. This never make the news as negative news in Idaho is controlled.
Sad, but this is more than an Idaho issue, but a nation-wide teen issue. My niece, and several fellow high school kids, all committed suicide in Denver a few years ago. For her a week before her 16th birthday. As I recall she was the fifth student that year from her high school.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:59 AM

344 posts, read 144,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Sad, but this is more than an Idaho issue, but a nation-wide teen issue. My niece, and several fellow high school kids, all committed suicide in Denver a few years ago. For her a week before her 16th birthday. As I recall she was the fifth student that year from her high school.
Yes , you are very correct, in New York pre teens are jumping off high rises. It is all over.

Old 04-14-2023, 05:22 PM

783 posts, read 839,077 times
My neighbor mentioned that two of her retired friends that moved to Northern Idaho couldn’t take the long gloomy winters. One friend moved back to California and the other rents a condominium in Reno for several months in the winter.

Lake Tahoe has quite a few summer-only residents. Some AirBnb their homes in the winter if they can snag a short-term rental permit, others own several homes in different locales.

Old 04-16-2023, 05:01 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
Lake Tahoe has quite a few summer-only residents
Like many ski resorts … people come for the winters, but stay for the summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho