Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 04:38 PM

561 posts, read 440,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I just ignore them and think to myself, "what an idiot". I cherish the freedom to do stuff like that, even if it is stupid.
Exactly. Even if I don’t agree or it disgusts me I’ll support their right to display what they want regardless of the ideology, messaging or opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 01:27 AM

7,387 posts, read 12,697,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
I doubt anyone is telling her that all conservatives are racists. There are, unfortunately, a few folks up here who feel compelled to fly a Confederate flag. Perhaps that's not unique to North Idaho.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. There is a guy in CF who flies a Confederate flag on his roadside property. Before any forum visitors get the impression that that's what people do in NID, I should mention that everybody we talk to thinks that the guy is an idiot. He definitely doesn't represent the community.

Old 03-13-2022, 09:27 AM

9 posts, read 8,702 times
Thanks for the replies. I don’t have an issue with any political party but I can’t stand bigots. In reality, I keep to myself anyway so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Anyone affected by SAD from the winters or is it not as bad there vs New England winters? Sandpoint looks like it has been pretty rainy for the past couple weeks. Is that typical for this time of year?

Old 03-13-2022, 10:08 AM

7,387 posts, read 12,697,920 times
When we started building our retirement home in Clark Fork we were told that the seasons in NID are summer, fall, winter, and mud!

Old 03-13-2022, 10:33 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,368,940 times
Quote:
I doubt anyone is telling her that all conservatives are racists. There are, unfortunately, a few folks up here who feel compelled to fly a Confederate flag. Perhaps that's not unique to North Idaho. On the other hand, you'll certainly see a lot of Trump signs. I don't quite get it. "Advertising" for an ex-president?
Yeah, it is peculiar, like he is their God. This bizarre phenomenon is all around the nation in wayward pockets.

This is of concern.

https://idahocapitalsun.com/2022/03/...ocratic-party/

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 03-13-2022 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-13-2022, 01:59 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,789,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSaltyBones View Post
Anyone affected by SAD from the winters or is it not as bad there vs New England winters? Sandpoint looks like it has been pretty rainy for the past couple weeks. Is that typical for this time of year?
This is my fifth winter here. The first one was awful. I heard of SAD, but that was about it...heard of it. Don't know anything about New England winters as I was born, raised, and lived my whole pre-retirement life in SoCal. SoCal has two seasons down there, a dry, hot summer and a not-so-hot, sometimes rainy summer.

Being a cyclist, I really didn't mind clouds because when it was cloudy, it wasn't so hot while cycling. What really got me was the length of daylight hours in the winter. That was just strange and something was wrong with the universe. And, the cloud cover was constant. That first winter, I couldn't remember a single sunny day.

The next summer, someone turned me onto Vitamin D; and that has made the world of difference. I still don't like the short days and constant cloud cover, but at least they are tolerable. We've actually had about ten days this summer with sun. It was glorious! I'm eagerly awaiting Spring and Summer.

To specifically answer your question, "typical" for this time of year?". Yes, quite typical and normal.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-13-2022, 04:27 PM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSaltyBones View Post
Thanks for the replies. I don’t have an issue with any political party but I can’t stand bigots. In reality, I keep to myself anyway so it shouldn’t be a problem.

I've always been seriously affected by SADD all my life.

I'm a native, raised in SE Idaho, where I live now. SADD tends to accumulate with me, and here in Idaho Falls, February is always the worst month. I still fight the depression that sets in during that month now.

It was the very worst when I lived in the panhandle when I attended the U. of Idaho in Moscow, about 90 miles south of Coeur d'Alene.
Volo is right- it's the combination of continual overcast, shorter daylight hours, and for me, the frequent fog up there which tended to form. in the evening, made even the nights darker.

The entire state has less winter daylight due to it's geographical location than all of the states that lie further south, but in Idaho Falls, which is known for its frequent winds, there is much more winter sunshine. Overcast here can last for some time, but it never lasts for more than a couple of weeks, and then we'll always get some big wind that blows it out.
Then the temps will drop way down, and we'll get a cold snap with brilliant daily sunshine for about as long. It cycles regularly here, due to our location.
Idaho Falls lies on the western slope of the Rockies, which act as a huge wind curtain.

Southern Idaho gets the most wind from the southwest- the coastal Pacific wind. Since the center of the state is mostly mountainous, the winds funnel into the SE Idaho corridor. But strong Arctic fronts have such dense air they will climb over the Rockies and flow down into the valley here sometimes.

All of the southern state is higher in elevation than the panhandle, and the height makes for more weather extremes.

Like Volo, I also take a lot of Vitamin D to ward off depression, and I own an extremely sunny house that I keep brightly lit in the winter. My home helps me the most of all, but I have to stay as active as I can even when I'm feeling down.

I gradually learned the best way to fight my SADD was to follow the natural cycle of the sun, adding some extra artificial lighting at times when I need it the most. I replaced all the opaque curtains in the house with Venetian blinds; they help me regulate the daylight.

And oddly, I do much better when I'm a little cool all winter. It helps to keep me moving around.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:01 AM

561 posts, read 440,921 times
Quote:
Apparently they don't think they can win legitimately, so they've got to cheat. Pretty disgusting. And fraudulent. I guess they see one guy getting away with it and think they can too.
FYI, both sides have those that cheat. It just is what it is. It’s up to the voter to do their due diligence with research on the participants and not pay any mind to any false narratives or propaganda from media or internet. It’s getting disgusting to see the toxicity from people on both sides. I miss the days of civil debate and discourse. Now it’s just vitriol and toxicity.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:19 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,286,387 times
Back when I was working, a string of cloudy days didn't tend to bother me so much. I'm not sure if that's because I was out and about and working under florescent lights? However this Winter has bothered me. Don't get me wrong, I love Winter and some great snow storms, its the useless cloudy days that get to me. I finally went and bout the daylight light bulbs for every light and that helped in a large way.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:45 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,368,940 times
Quote:
Apparently they don't think they can win legitimately, so they've got to cheat. Pretty disgusting. And fraudulent. I guess they see one guy getting away with it and think they can too.
The far right in Idaho is dangerous and divisive and toxic. Politics in Idaho used to be more kind and amiable. These people threaten other law makers, mayors, city council members and even police and doctors because they don't align with their radical ways. They go as far as going to homes and threatening family members of politicians that don't agree with.

The rise in population and moreso the extreme rar right radicals moving into the state are the cause of the vitriol that has exploded in Idaho recently. It's really sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho