Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 12:07 PM

9 posts, read 8,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Here's an example of what is available, in Clark Fork, 25 miles from Schweitzer Resort/Sandpoint, on 3 acres. Frequently the minimum is 5 acres outside of city limits. Scotchman Peaks proposed wilderness just up the road.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M25656-49552
Wow, that is gorgeous! Don’t tempt me! I’m not in a position to move right now but I’m trying to get a general feel for the area to see if it would be an option to consider in the future. Eventually I will have to make it up there and experience it for myself.

Are the winters pretty overcast? I know that’s kind of a silly question to ask since Google tells me it’s cloudier than my location, but how bad is it really? I’m seeing 175 days on sunshine on average, vs 275 days where I live now. How do you deal with it? Is it truly a flat gray sky or more like a mix of sun and clouds? I’m from the northeast originally and could not deal with the flat gray winters.

What is the culture like overall? More Midwest friendly or intermountain state independent? My current town is very liberal but I’m not opposed to living in a more conservative area, as I have before.

Are the more rural areas higher in crime and drug use? Is racism a big problem there? Or are those areas more for weekend homes owned by rich second homeowners? Any towns I should look near in particular? Schools don’t matter for me (no kids), and neither does nightlife.

Are the recreational areas overrun with 4 wheelers and hunters? I want to get an overall picture of the good and the bad

Last edited by CaptainSaltyBones; 03-09-2022 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Would the OP consider Wallace or Grangeville? Bonners Ferry? Priest River? Rathdrum? St. Maries? Orofino?
I was looking at the area between Kellogg to St. Marie’s northward to Bonners Ferry, but I’m not at all familiar with the area and would be open to other options as well.

Old 03-09-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosePad View Post
Try looking at the Kettle Falls and Colville area of Washington. The 49 North Mountain Resort east of Chewelah is 40 miles from Kettle Falls. Real estate seems to be priced less than the Idaho panhandle.

I used to live in the Colville and Addy area. And I used to live in the Dolores and Cortez area of Colorado.
Thank you. I’ll look into it.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:32 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
What size town do you prefer? You want to step away from ski town but do you prefer a town with some tourism / amenities or would you go for just average / no frills town for locals? Employment considerations?

The answers to some of your questions vary for specific locations.

Place size, land budget, in town / out of town are details that might get more targeted responses. You may be open to many or all possibilities but people may not want to say a lot without you narrowing the options down.

Certainly read past threads for useful information previously provided for similar inquiries.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:36 AM

32,645 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSaltyBones View Post
.....What is the culture like overall? More Midwest friendly or intermountain state independent?..........

The people of North Idaho are polite and most of them seem to be happy enough that they will smile and wave. However, do not expect any of your neighbors to take care of you. Idahoans are independent people and they will expect you to be able to take care of yourself.

The bit about wanting a place where you can borrow a cup of sugar bothers me. Your neighbors will expect you to plan ahead and maintain your own larder like an adult. If you get caught short once and need a cup of sugar, you will get it, but if you expect your neighbors to fill in holes in your pantry because you are too lazy to go shopping or you can't plan ahead, your neighbors will very soon be quite irritated with you.

Pull you out of the ditch once when you slide off the road, but not twice a week because you refuse to learn how to drive in the snow.

Note, if you are disabled and literally can't do things for yourself due to health reasons, you will most likely get a fair amount of help, as that is a completely different situation, but don't be expecting anyone else to be doing your work or doing your planning or your shopping for you. Taking advantage of a person's good nature is frowned upon.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The people of North Idaho are polite and most of them seem to be happy enough that they will smile and wave. However, do not expect any of your neighbors to take care of you. Idahoans are independent people and they will expect you to be able to take care of yourself.

The bit about wanting a place where you can borrow a cup of sugar bothers me. Your neighbors will expect you to plan ahead and maintain your own larder like an adult. If you get caught short once and need a cup of sugar, you will get it, but if you expect your neighbors to fill in holes in your pantry because you are too lazy to go shopping or you can't plan ahead, your neighbors will very soon be quite irritated with you.

Pull you out of the ditch once when you slide off the road, but not twice a week because you refuse to learn how to drive in the snow.

Note, if you are disabled and literally can't do things for yourself due to health reasons, you will most likely get a fair amount of help, as that is a completely different situation, but don't be expecting anyone else to be doing your work or doing your planning or your shopping for you. Taking advantage of a person's good nature is frowned upon.
Thanks for the response. My husband and I are always down to help a neighbor we’re but independent and like to keep to ourselves, which I fear can come off as rude in smaller towns. Where I live now is more community oriented and close knit than I expected. Everybody knows each other and there are a lot of opportunities to get involved in the community, which we haven’t really taken advantage of. Sounds like we will be ok in that respect. My main concern with being in a mostly conservative area (especially North Idaho in particular due to its history) is that I’m not white, and my husband is of Jewish descent. I’ve always lived in mostly white communities and never had a problem, at least not to my face. But I don’t want to get stares at the grocery store or anything weird like that

Old 03-10-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
What size town do you prefer? You want to step away from ski town but do you prefer a town with some tourism / amenities or would you go for just average / no frills town for locals? Employment considerations?

The answers to some of your questions vary for specific locations.

Place size, land budget, in town / out of town are details that might get more targeted responses. You may be open to many or all possibilities but people may not want to say a lot without you narrowing the options down.

Certainly read past threads for useful information previously provided for similar inquiries.
The reason I haven’t given many specifics is because I’m still not sure if I would be interested in living here at all. I’m also not in a position to move right now, especially with the inflation of the current housing market and whether that will stabilize or drop in the next 5-10 years or not. I’m trying to get people’s opinions of life here in general, especially those who have lived in both places. I found one thread that was relevant but it was over 15 years old.

In general though, I’m not interested in living in a town with a population of more than 25k or off the grid (unless I can get good enough connectivity to WFH). I would be looking for a place either in or outside of town. My husband and I currently work in the service industry but are in the process of figuring out remote jobs, which I would want to lock down before I consider moving.

Old 03-10-2022, 12:49 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
But I don’t want to get stares at the grocery store or anything weird like that
There are idiots and bigots everywhere, but for the most part, nobody will care what you look like or where your ancestors came from. Same for your husband.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 03-10-2022 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 03-10-2022, 06:16 PM

32,645 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
......... But I don’t want to get stares at the grocery store or anything weird like that

The people who are telling you that all conservatives are racists are lying to you. Conservatives are no more likely to be racist than anyone else.

No one is going to care about your race or religion. Make a bit of effort to fit yourself in and you will be fine. Just don't go around telling everyone how things were done better in California and that Idaho would be so much better if they just did things like it was done back home.

Old 03-12-2022, 03:43 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
There are, unfortunately, a few folks up here who feel compelled to fly a Confederate flag. Perhaps that's not unique to North Idaho. On the other hand, you'll certainly see a lot of Trump signs. I don't quite get it. "Advertising" for an ex-president?
I just ignore them and think to myself, "what an idiot". I cherish the freedom to do stuff like that, even if it is stupid.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho