Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHICH of these towns would you choose to move to?
Coeur d’Alene 9 42.86%
Wallace 0 0%
Hailey 5 23.81%
A different town - if you choose this, name which town 7 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 08:58 AM

82 posts, read 460,509 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am hoping to all of you Idahoans out there who can help me with this dilemma. I am planning to move to Idaho. I have not been there yet, but know I want to live there from research that I have compiled. I have lived all over the USA and planet, but have not been to Idaho so therefore need your input.

I am trying to compare these three towns - and need as much detail as possible. I am flexible so would be happy with any of them - but if I can find one that seems more suitable that would be great. If you could describe what these 3 towns are like - the pros/cons would be helpful.

*As of current time (January 2021) what are these towns leaning towards:
Ultra-Left (commie), Democrat (JFK era), Libertarian, Middle of the road, Republican, Ultra-Conservative

*What is the general year-round weather like (lots of snow/cold, hot summers, humid/dry, what about sunshine - I love sunshine and need it A LOT).

*I work remotely so a job is a non-issue

*No kids - schools are a non-issue

*Prefer friendly welcoming communities where people are involved

*I want to initially rent a place (as I cannot afford to buy) but the ultimate goal would be to live more rural within a 45-60 minute drive from a town (where I could shop/buy things from). If I could already Find a rental like that - I would just go to that area immediately - not sure which towns that would comprise. I want to be off the beaten path in nature. Lots of trees, water would be nice (waterfalls/lakes/anything)...

*I like that 'small town feel' a walkable town would be nice - but not mandatory.

Thank you for any input you can offer!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 10:48 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
You want strangers on the internet pick a place for you to move to?

I recommend Prescott Arizona, if we are deciding where you are going to live with a vote.

Take your vacation days and spend a bit of time in Idaho and decide for yourself what place suits you.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:10 AM

726 posts, read 329,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangococonut View Post
*As of current time (January 2021) what are these towns leaning towards:
Ultra-Left (commie), Democrat (JFK era), Libertarian, Middle of the road, Republican, Ultra-Conservative....
I don't know specifically about those towns, but I know that Trump got roughly 2/3 of the Idaho votes for president while Biden got about 1/3.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:16 AM

45 posts, read 44,748 times
I can't speak to Hailey as I've never been but I can give my $.02 on Wallace and CDA.

Politics: Both lean right. Wallace probably more so.

Weather: My best description for the area is to expect 2 weeks of sub-freezing temps and 2 weeks of circa 100 degree weather every year. Snowfall has been mild this year but there's rumors we are about to make it up. The CDA area got like 52" in Feb 2019. I believe the average for the entire year is 60". Some years it dumps, some years it doesn't.

Sunshine (You mentioned you need LOTS of it so I made this a separate line item): The sun shines here in the summer. It shines occasionally in the winter. Neither is going to be like Maui, San Antonio or Florida. Wallace is in a steep valley so direct sunshine has limited hours there.

"Small town feel": This is subjective. Wallace will have it in spades over CDA. Wallace and (downtown) CDA are both walking towns. CDA is set up for it and Wallace is simply small enough to walk across town in about 10 minutes at a leisurely pace. Downtown Sandpoint and Liberty Lake are also walking-centric.

Friendly/welcoming: This will depend more on you and your expectations. Are you outgoing and approachable? Do you open the door for others and thank them when they do the same for you? Will you let a car out of a parking lot while stopped at a light or pull forward and block them? (sorry, personal pet peeves of mine that I'm seeing WAY too much of lately). Do you actually "fit" the areas you are planning to move to? That's not an attack on you, it's a serious question. Style/attitude/dress etc. can all cause locals to decide whether you are to be accepted or not. Jeans and a Carhartt jacket will hardly get a second glance in Wallace but stiletto heels, spiked hair and enough facial piercings to send a metal detector into overdrive will make it hard to make friends there.

Your 2-3 year move cycle makes renting your best option. The "45-60 mile radius to a town for shopping" opens up a lot of real estate. Northern Idaho is only like 60 miles wide. There are plenty of smaller towns in that radius that would meet many of your wants and at a lesser cost-of-living than CDA or Hailey.

Plenty of "leeches" here too but it seems you learned how to spot those.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:50 PM

565 posts, read 473,233 times
From what I've read, Coeur d’Alene is a retirement community for California cops.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:55 PM

726 posts, read 329,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
From what I've read, Coeur d’Alene is a retirement community for California cops.
Maybe moreso Hayden Lake, which is right there by CDA.

Old 01-24-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You want strangers on the internet pick a place for you to move to?

I recommend Prescott Arizona, if we are deciding where you are going to live with a vote.

Take your vacation days and spend a bit of time in Idaho and decide for yourself what place suits you.

Strangers on the internet? Well if there are people who are familiar with a state/towns - people who live there I DO appreciate and value their opinion. CLEARLY I am the one who makes the final decision omg...but its better to get PERSONAL feedback from those who are familiar than going cold turkey to a place and trying to decide - its NOT always possible - I have traveled to places on a trip, and thought it was one way, and found out that is NOT the case living there. It ALWAYS makes sense to get others opinions especially on places that they know about and I do not. I found your comment quite rude honestly - what do you think this site is all about anyways? Do you think I am the only one on here asking for advice on various towns? Go to the state/city threads and see for yourself - MANY people are inquiring as well. It would be STUPID and negligent NOT to ask!

Regarding your comment - Tell us what you like about Prescott Arizona? I haven't personally been there, what are the pros/cons. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
I don't know specifically about those towns, but I know that Trump got roughly 2/3 of the Idaho votes for president while Biden got about 1/3.
Oh really? Thats great to know - thank you!! That is stuff locals would know.... I appreciate your input.

Old 01-24-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTJoe View Post
I can't speak to Hailey as I've never been but I can give my $.02 on Wallace and CDA.

Politics: Both lean right. Wallace probably more so.

Weather: My best description for the area is to expect 2 weeks of sub-freezing temps and 2 weeks of circa 100 degree weather every year. Snowfall has been mild this year but there's rumors we are about to make it up. The CDA area got like 52" in Feb 2019. I believe the average for the entire year is 60". Some years it dumps, some years it doesn't.

Sunshine (You mentioned you need LOTS of it so I made this a separate line item): The sun shines here in the summer. It shines occasionally in the winter. Neither is going to be like Maui, San Antonio or Florida. Wallace is in a steep valley so direct sunshine has limited hours there.

"Small town feel": This is subjective. Wallace will have it in spades over CDA. Wallace and (downtown) CDA are both walking towns. CDA is set up for it and Wallace is simply small enough to walk across town in about 10 minutes at a leisurely pace. Downtown Sandpoint and Liberty Lake are also walking-centric.

Friendly/welcoming: This will depend more on you and your expectations. Are you outgoing and approachable? Do you open the door for others and thank them when they do the same for you? Will you let a car out of a parking lot while stopped at a light or pull forward and block them? (sorry, personal pet peeves of mine that I'm seeing WAY too much of lately). Do you actually "fit" the areas you are planning to move to? That's not an attack on you, it's a serious question. Style/attitude/dress etc. can all cause locals to decide whether you are to be accepted or not. Jeans and a Carhartt jacket will hardly get a second glance in Wallace but stiletto heels, spiked hair and enough facial piercings to send a metal detector into overdrive will make it hard to make friends there.

Your 2-3 year move cycle makes renting your best option. The "45-60 mile radius to a town for shopping" opens up a lot of real estate. Northern Idaho is only like 60 miles wide. There are plenty of smaller towns in that radius that would meet many of your wants and at a lesser cost-of-living than CDA or Hailey.

Plenty of "leeches" here too but it seems you learned how to spot those.
Wow - thanks SO MUCH for this valuable feedback - I really appreciate the comparisons. In answer to your friendly/welcoming - I am very approachable and outgoing and have very good manners - doing all those things (holding the door - letting cars merge in -- I too find it so rude that people no longer have the common courtesy any longer to just be nice. I am NOT a stiletto wearer (don't even own heels - who would want to wear those torture devices anyways - let guys start wearing them to understand) - I am not a high maintenance diva - far from it (those types annoy the hell out of me quite frankly). No spiked hair and no facial piercings! Only one in each ear lobe like the olden days. Very conservative - but not a fan of stupid sheep mentality - or small-minded followers.

Would you recommend any particular places to rent? Glad to hear that my 45-60 minute radius will give me plenty of options down the road. Yeh, I understand about the leeches!! lol :-)

Thank you again!

Old 01-24-2021, 02:45 PM

I don't want to start a war on here with what I am about to ask - and if you do not agree with my opinion I am not asking for a confrontation on why you feel differently. I KNOW what I KNOW. I am a researcher and have extremely good sources (not the Tell-Lie-Vision) but let me get to the point.

I want to know what the governor in Idaho is like as far as the Convid situation - are they mandating muzzles (masks) or mandating vaccinations (the medical device 'shot,' for corona)?

Are people pretty laid back about this? Are muzzles/face diapers mandatory? I know there is a huge divide on this subject - and I don't want to hear if you disagree with my point- its not up for debate - I just am asking a simple question (you can believe what you choose, and I know the facts). So between the 3 towns in the original post - Wallace, Hailey and CDA - wondering is one more draconian/tyrannical with this stuff or not? Thanks for the feedback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho