Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHICH of these towns would you choose to move to?
Coeur d’Alene 9 42.86%
Wallace 0 0%
Hailey 5 23.81%
A different town - if you choose this, name which town 7 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 08:32 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times

Advertisements

If you like big city amenities, Northern Idaho is closest to the largest city on I-90 between Seattle and Minneapolis. If you like to be near a major ski resort, Hailey would be your choice. If you want to live in a very small isolated town, then Wallace would be your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 10:52 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Wallace is still a Superfund site, so the real estate will be cheapest to buy there.

But will also be the hardest to sell too.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:20 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,055,705 times
Kootenai County is to Spokane, what Orange County was to Los Angeles, in the 1970s and 1980s. Namely, a white flight, Republican, contiguous suburban area of various interconnected cities and towns.

The only exception to this rule is the Downtown Coeur d'Alene area between the lake and I-90, which is the only area in Kootenai County where there are significant numbers of Democrats.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:26 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,055,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
I'll type about the towns i know

1.)Preston- ??

Have you ever watched the film Napoleon Dynamite?

Old 02-05-2021, 10:16 PM

The one and only movie filmed in far S.E. Idaho to my knowledge. Pretty quirky little movie but kind of has developed into a cult classc!

Old 02-06-2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Kootenai County is to Spokane, what Orange County was to Los Angeles, in the 1970s and 1980s. Namely, a white flight, Republican, contiguous suburban area of various interconnected cities and towns.

The only exception to this rule is the Downtown Coeur d'Alene area between the lake and I-90, which is the only area in Kootenai County where there are significant numbers of Democrats.
True, but meaningless as the State as a whole only matters in national or statewide elections. Idaho is red and will likely remain so for the next few election cycles. I do believe this may change eventually as Idaho attracts more democratic leaning residents.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:10 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,109,717 times
I forgot that's where Napoleon Dynamite was filmed. I don't think it will have the trees that OP was talking about :-)

Old 02-08-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
I forgot that's where Napoleon Dynamite was filmed. I don't think it will have the trees that OP was talking about :-)
Napoleon Dynamite was filmed all the way down on the southern end of Idaho in a little town called Preston that's close to the Utah border.

Actually, most of the movie was filmed just outside of Preston, and parts were filmed in nearby Montpelier (If I remember correctly.)

It's mighty pretty country down there, but it's not the same as northern Idaho. Tamaracks don't grow that far south, and that end of Idaho was never glaciated. The mountains are older, the soil is richer, and everything is higher than the northern panhandle.

Preston is also in the first region of Idaho that received significant white migration. Franklin is the oldest permanent settlement in the state, and it's only a few miles south of Preston.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The one and only movie filmed in far S.E. Idaho to my knowledge. Pretty quirky little movie but kind of has developed into a cult classc!
Idaho has been in lotsa movies ever since the first silents.

Clint Eastwood filmed several of his movies in S.E. Idaho and along the Idaho/Wyoming border.
- Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
- Broncho Billy
-Pale Rider
- Any Which Way But Loose
-Any Which Way You Can
(All were filmed in various locations in the southern half of the state. Locations in other states, mostly Wyoming and Montana, were also used.)

-Wild, Wild West (1990s film w/ Will Smith)

-Breakfast Of Champions was filmed around Twin Falls

-Toys
-Ghost Dad

3 Marilyn Monroe movies:
-Bus Stop
-River of No Return
-How to Marry A Millionaire

About half of every movie that has the Tetons in the background was filmed on the Idaho side of them.
-Far Horizons
-Spencer's Mountain
-The Mountain Men
-The Great Divide
(a John Belushi adventure/comedy, was partly filmed in Victor. In the movie, Victor moved from Idaho to Wyoming in the dialog.)

Up in the panhandle:
-Heaven's Gate
-Dante's Peak
-Breakheart Pass
-Come and Get It (a classic from the late 1930s)
-The Long, Long Trailer (a Lucy Ball/Desi Arnez comedy, filmed in part on the White Bird Hill)

-Sun Valley Serenade
and
-It Happened in Sun Valley
-Ski Party
- 20 Warren Miller films (or more)
(Sun Valley was a very popular location throughout the 40s to the 60s.
The Union Pacific's Sun Valley Express went straight from the Long Beach depot to Sun Valley)

Lots of Walt Disney TV movies:
-Hank the Cow Dog
-Run Appaloosa Run

This is only a partial list.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:30 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangococonut View Post
Hi,

I am hoping to all of you Idahoans out there who can help me with this dilemma. I am planning to move to Idaho. I have not been there yet, but know I want to live there from research that I have compiled. I have lived all over the USA and planet, but have not been to Idaho so therefore need your input.

I am trying to compare these three towns - and need as much detail as possible. I am flexible so would be happy with any of them - but if I can find one that seems more suitable that would be great. If you could describe what these 3 towns are like - the pros/cons would be helpful.

*As of current time (January 2021) what are these towns leaning towards:
Ultra-Left (commie), Democrat (JFK era), Libertarian, Middle of the road, Republican, Ultra-Conservative

*What is the general year-round weather like (lots of snow/cold, hot summers, humid/dry, what about sunshine - I love sunshine and need it A LOT).

*I work remotely so a job is a non-issue

*No kids - schools are a non-issue

*Prefer friendly welcoming communities where people are involved

*I want to initially rent a place (as I cannot afford to buy) but the ultimate goal would be to live more rural within a 45-60 minute drive from a town (where I could shop/buy things from). If I could already Find a rental like that - I would just go to that area immediately - not sure which towns that would comprise. I want to be off the beaten path in nature. Lots of trees, water would be nice (waterfalls/lakes/anything)...

*I like that 'small town feel' a walkable town would be nice - but not mandatory.

Thank you for any input you can offer!!
Of the three towns, I would choose Hailey. It's a "working class" resort town with a good selection of shops and restaurants, but not as large or as high end as Ketchum. The small downtown area is walkable with interesting history. Hailey is in a scenic river valley with steep hills on each side that hide the massive Pioneer Mountains which are among Idaho's most majestic.

It is in the dryer end of the Wood River Valley, but the woods are only a few minutes away and the valley gets more evergreen near Ketchum and north to Stanley. The Wood River that flows through the valley and Hailey is lined with impressive Aspen and Cottonwood forests. One of Hemingway's favorite world class fishing spots is near Hailey. If you have time to explore the valley when visiting, you will see what attracted Hemingway to this area.

The Wood River Valley is one of Idaho's most liberal areas, fitting your description of Ultra-Left more so in Ketchum/Sun Valley and Libertarian/Democrat south towards Hailey.

Areas of Idaho fit into the "Ultra-Right (not Left) (commie)mindset and is the opposite of the Live and Let Live attitude because they vote Republicans into office who continually mock and attempt to take away our safety measures during a pandemic and pass, or try to pass laws that erode our personal rights. Anyone moving to Idaho really needs to research the state government and see what goes on in the statehouse and form their own decision.

Hailey and the Wood River Valley definitely have that Live and let Live attitude. An example is a number of years ago, the citizens of Hailey voter approved to legalize medical marijuana and to make enforcement of marijuana in city limits a low priority for police. A Libertarian led the initiative and of course the Ultra Right state leaders ruled it all illegal.

Hailey is at a high elevation, so summers have nice warm sunny days, sometimes hot, but the nights cool down. Spring and Fall are wonderful, and Winter in the Hailey area of the valley can be hit and miss with the big snow storms that usually hit Ketchum/Sun Valley.

Keep in mind that Ketchum/Sun Valley is nicknamed "Hollywood North" because of the sheer number of the rich and famous types who have homes and condos there. Hailey has some, but is more relaxed. Real estate is expensive anywhere in the valley, even in the Bellevue area south of Hailey. Demi Moore lives in her estate in Hailey and I'm not sure who else famous has homes in the Hailey area.

The three towns you have asked about are all very different, so visiting would be the best way to help decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho