Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 07:31 PM

129 posts, read 332,264 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody

I just purchased a home in Twin Falls Idaho I'm not able to complete my move to Twin for a little while. I will be going up there on the weekends for a the time being

is it possible to get a Idaho ID card it doesn't have to be the star card and keep my California driver's license
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 07:48 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Can't answer you specifically, but you may want to consider switching "everything" over to Idaho as soon as possible. For tax purposes. ID taxes are a lot less than CA taxes.

The first thing I did when my house closed escrow, even the same day, was go to the Registrar of Voters and register to vote in Idaho. That's like the 'gold standard' in establishing residency. With my address-of-record for voting purposes being in Idaho, California could not come back to me later asking for more taxes because they said that I was a CA resident.

The next thing I did was get an Idaho driver license, change my auto registrations, and change my CCW permit from 'non-resident' to 'resident'. However, in these virus days, who knows how to go about doing this stuff?

Unless you have a specific reason for maintaining California residency, the advantages of switching sooner rather than later far outweigh the disadvantages.

p.s. Welcome to Idaho. It's a pretty awesome place!

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-21-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

and change my CCW permit from 'non-resident' to 'resident'. However, in these virus days, who knows how to go about doing this stuff?

p.s. Welcome to Idaho. It's a pretty awesome place!
me and my wife still have our good jobs here in California we're not able to leave right away I just wanted to get my Idaho ID card so I can buy a lot of goodies that I'm not able to buy in commiefornia. I will keep everything in the state of Idaho

Twin and Magic Valley is awesome!!

Old 12-21-2020, 08:04 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countonme View Post
Hello everybody

I just purchased a home in Twin Falls Idaho I'm not able to complete my move to Twin for a little while. I will be going up there on the weekends for a the time being

is it possible to get a Idaho ID card it doesn't have to be the star card and keep my California driver's license
No, if you are moving to Idaho you must get an Idaho driver's license within 90 days, of making the move. You can not have driver's license or ID card in two states.

Driver’s License and Identification Card Information - DMV _ Idaho Transportation Department

Old 12-21-2020, 08:11 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countonme View Post
me and my wife still have our good jobs here in California we're not able to leave right away I just wanted to get my Idaho ID card so I can buy a lot of goodies that I'm not able to buy in commiefornia. I will keep everything in the state of Idaho

Twin and Magic Valley is awesome!!
You can buy what ever "goodies" you want and keep them in Idaho. You can not have IDs in two different states.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:28 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
As already noted, you can only have ID in your state of primary residency, which is where you spend more than half your time.

You also will be a CA resident for tax purposes until your primary residence changes. No way around that unfortunately. Also, you might want to learn about how CA treats "CA source income" for non-residents. It's not very pretty, so you may want to shed any sources of income that are located in CA once you make the move here.

Dave

Old 12-22-2020, 12:43 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You can buy what ever "goodies" you want and keep them in Idaho. You can not have IDs in two different states.
I live in Hawaii. MANY people who are part-time residents have driver's licenses from their home state, and Hawaii State I.D. cards for over here. It allows "locals" discounts for golf and restaurants.

You can't legally have driver's licenses from two states, here, although some people manage it.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:24 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times
This has been discussed before. Here is an official source of answers for drivers license or ID card:

https://itd.idaho.gov/starcard/accep...documents.html

OP do you own a home in CA, or just rent? Official residency does not always follow where you are most of the time, if the 2nd place is just for work. Commuters across state lines are residents of where they live when not working. Residency does not strictly follow taxation. So you should be able move residency and 'live' in ID, work in CA, and deal with the taxation.

Here is the ID statute for residency for voting purpose. Read the 1st and 2nd paragraphs carefully; I think you can be an ID resident now.

https://legislature.idaho.gov/statut...h1/sect34-107/

Old 12-22-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
This has been discussed before. Here is an official source of answers for drivers license or ID card:

https://itd.idaho.gov/starcard/accep...documents.html

OP do you own a home in CA, or just rent? Official residency does not always follow where you are most of the time, if the 2nd place is just for work. Commuters across state lines are residents of where they live when not working. Residency does not strictly follow taxation. So you should be able move residency and 'live' in ID, work in CA, and deal with the taxation.

Here is the ID statute for residency for voting purpose. Read the 1st and 2nd paragraphs carefully; I think you can be an ID resident now.

https://legislature.idaho.gov/statut...h1/sect34-107/

yes I own the home in the San Francisco Bay area for over 20 years I will sell when my job goes

Old 12-23-2020, 08:13 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times
OK, that seems to pretty well settle it, that you would still be considered a CA resident, what with your long time residence and property ownership there plus work too.

So you presently have a 2nd home in ID. Not sure that you can get that ID in ID... but not sure what you cannot buy that stays there. (But it might be impossilbe to prove that a firearm, for example, would be staying in ID.) Look over the links provided for Idaho ID's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: