Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 04:12 PM

648 posts, read 431,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
In North Idaho . . . infrastructure upgrades are going to be slow. There are a few state-sponsored projects in the works. Highway 41 between Post Falls and Rathdrum is currently being expanded to four lanes, with a separate bike lane. Right about the time that is completed in a couple of years, they are going to start re-building the I-90 and Hwy 41 interchange. They just opened the new Hwy 53/95 interchange. That's about it, (in Kootenai County). Earlier this year, they finished a Hwy 95 "re-do" between the freeway to the north end of Hayden. Some new lights, some removed, new turn lanes, etc. All state projects.

Locally, in the past election, the voters in Kootenai County turned down a proposition that would increase vehicle license fees by $50 per year which would go to funding a series of specified road infrastructure upgrades. It was a tough sell in these days when many are out of work due to the virus and property taxes are ever increasing. They don't want one more fee added, and many believe that new residents are causing the increase in the crowded roads and it is they who should pay for any upgrades. Also, drivers from Washington cause much of the congestion, and they wouldn't be paying the fee. It is seen as "unfair" to long-term residents.

There was no "Plan B". It is unknown what will happen now.

Schools are another area that have a much-needed increase in funding. That's a hard sell for the same reasons. The last increase two elections ago, (not sure if it was a bond or something else), was voted down locally. Residents are not in a mood to give schools more money.
Informative. Traffic does seem to be an issue. I would imagine the new added residents would explain more people on the road, but old timers should realize that it is other "old timers" that are making lots of money developing virgin tracts of land into housing, and doing major remodels of old houses. Cuts both ways.

I was up there pre-covid and thought the number of dead and dying trees in the forest was concerning. I know they do lots of logging etc up there to slow down forest fires, but I saw vast areas of very unhealthy forest up all around there. Like I say, concerning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 11:38 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocoilslick View Post
Informative. Traffic does seem to be an issue. I would imagine the new added residents would explain more people on the road, but old timers should realize that it is other "old timers" that are making lots of money developing virgin tracts of land into housing, and doing major remodels of old houses. Cuts both ways.

I was up there pre-covid and thought the number of dead and dying trees in the forest was concerning. I know they do lots of logging etc up there to slow down forest fires, but I saw vast areas of very unhealthy forest up all around there. Like I say, concerning.
Are theydoing remodels of older homes to be put on the NID real estate market?

If there are lots of dead and dying trees in the forest that is a prelude to a fire. Add more fuel to the fire when all of that dry brush is left uncleared.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:37 PM

382 posts, read 1,033,195 times
They have been logging the heck out of the woods this last year. I saw more activity out there logging this year than I have in a very long time. Nothing like in the 70’s and 80’s. But they are logging everything that is close to towns. They are thinning the brush and burning slash piles. The honey badger project they are calling it. It starts down by Canfield and extends to the Bunco road. There will be more logging to come I’m sure. There is a lot of trees out there to take care of. A bunch down on the cda river that already burned up that need to be removed. Not sure when they will be doing that. I saw a lot of fire wood guys there last year. Even saw activity in Clark fork. They forest service have been out there working. I talked to them a few times when I saw them when I was taking photos. Not sure what the Obiden administration will do to the forest service. Will they lock it all up again or will they realize that they need to actively manage it by removing and replanting. Time will tell.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:28 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
Quote:
Earlier this year, they finished a Hwy 95 "re-do" between the freeway to the north end of Hayden.
FYI, there is a plan to make US95 4 lanes pretty much all the way to the south end of the Long Bridge. The timing on that project is unclear - depends on funding priorities, which if I understand correctly are set by ITD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
If there are lots of dead and dying trees in the forest that is a prelude to a fire. Add more fuel to the fire when all of that dry brush is left uncleared.
This is a problem throughout the timbered states in the west. Fortunately, there seems to be growing awareness that a long term pattern of annual new timber growth exceeding annual harvest combined with aggressive wildfire suppression leads to unhealthy forests choked with dead, dying and diseased trees. Too many people live in/near the forests now, so aggressive wildfire suppression is necessary. That leaves only one reasonable answer.

We live adjacent to a large tract of BLM land where that would have been an accurate description. Thankfully, it was logged this past winter, and in addition they created a firebreak around the perimeter. The project was specifically undertaken to reduce wildfire risk. It looks a little rough right now, but it will improve over time, and we feel less at risk as a result. For the first time since we've lived here we've seen a herd of elk back there, so now that the loggers are done the wildlife seems to be happier as well. It's also nice that when you walk back there we now enjoy filtered views of the surrounding mountains instead of a wall of trees.

I don't follow it closely, but I think timber prices have been up this year, which will drive logging activity.

Dave

Old 12-21-2020, 07:19 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
FYI, there is a plan to make US95 4 lanes pretty much all the way to the south end of the Long Bridge. The timing on that project is unclear - depends on funding priorities, which if I understand correctly are set by ITD.
That will be nice, because it means a dedicated bike lane off to the side. I'm all for that!

There is an existing bike lane in Sagle, (to Sandpoint and beyond), but it was pretty beat up last time I used it.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-22-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
That will be nice, because it means a dedicated bike lane off to the side. I'm all for that!

There is an existing bike lane in Sagle, (to Sandpoint and beyond), but it was pretty beat up last time I used it.
I think I may have seen them resurfacing the trail in Sagle a while back, not 100% sure though.

I think they will have a challenge managing northbound traffic as they transition from 4 lanes down to 2 lanes for the long bridge. I expect to see traffic backups during the busy times of summer if/when they complete the project this far north. On the positive side, they will be addressing the intersections with some of the arterials in Sagle (Dufort and Sagle Rd.) which will make it much safer getting on 95 from those roads.

No plans to address the Lakeshore intersection though, which is a shame because that one produces plenty of accidents.

Dave

Old 12-22-2020, 05:37 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I think I may have seen them resurfacing the trail in Sagle a while back, not 100% sure though.
That's good to know. I didn't ride it this past summer because my ride on it the summer before wasn't all that enjoyable. Riding across the bridge was pretty cool, but too much root damage on the Sagle trail.

Maybe they will reapportion that wide "bike lane" on the east side of the bridge to be another northbound traffic lane. It's certainly wide enough for an extra traffic lane while leaving enough room for a bike lane too.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-23-2020, 12:56 AM

45 posts, read 44,663 times
Aren't higher prices in Dalton because that is where the "transplants" have congregated?

The "wide bike lane on the east side of the long bridge" was the original highway. I've often wondered if they'll re-incorporate that into the widening project.

Small facepalm tidbit... growing up we always heard about how deep PDO was and I was just in awe of how they could build a bridge in such deep water. It took a long time before I realized it's only like 15' deep at that point. LOL

Old 12-23-2020, 08:20 AM

726 posts, read 329,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTJoe View Post
....It took a long time before I realized it's only like 15' deep at that point. LOL
Yeah, I was surprised how shallow Pend Oreille's Pack River Delta and Denton Slough are. In summer people are kayaking the Delta and boating the Slough, but now with the lake level down, the Delta is basically dry, with a ribbon of river snaking through it. When the lake is full, the Delta must be only 5 or 6 feet deep. And the Slough -- currently you could walk across the mouth of it!

We did spy the submarine when we took a side trip over to Garfield Bay....

Old 12-24-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTJoe View Post
Aren't higher prices in Dalton because that is where the "transplants" have congregated?

The "wide bike lane on the east side of the long bridge" was the original highway. I've often wondered if they'll re-incorporate that into the widening project.

Small facepalm tidbit... growing up we always heard about how deep PDO was and I was just in awe of how they could build a bridge in such deep water. It took a long time before I realized it's only like 15' deep at that point. LOL
I'm pretty sure the old long bridge is no longer safe to carry auto traffic. I believe that's why they built the new bridge. I'd be surprised to see the old bridge ever carry cars again. In any case, the widening plan for 95 actually stops a mile or two south of the long bridge, so the bridge itself will remain 2 lanes for the foreseeable future.

The area of the lake near Sandpoint is quite shallow, no more than 40' in most places, and that's at full pool. Off the eastern end of Sagle the lake gets to be 4-800' deep, but the deepest places are south of Garfield Bay. It is over 1000' deep in places down there. It is not a lake to be taken lightly in a small boat!

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho