Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 02:12 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times

Advertisements

In these crazy, evil times with more SoCal lockdowns looming, I just have to take a deep breath once in a while and reassure myself that we actually have a place in NID, even if it is only 80% finished... We're making plans for 2021. Good way to stay sane at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 02:14 PM

5,588 posts, read 5,031,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
In these crazy, evil times with more SoCal lockdowns looming, I just have to take a deep breath once in a while and reassure myself that we actually have a place in NID, even if it is only 80% finished... We're making plans for 2021. Good way to stay sane at this point.
Lucky you. Hang in there.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:53 PM

726 posts, read 329,628 times
Quote:
...I just have to take a deep breath once in a while and reassure myself that we actually have a place in NID, even if it is only 80% finished...
I drove by Clark Fork a couple days ago. I'm not sure where your place is, but Clark Fork is still there!

Old 12-04-2020, 03:06 PM

820 posts, read 1,741,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
IDK what the gmail link is, but any site that offers a estimate of your home in Idaho will be wrong because of the law. Realtor.com has more complete info though.

Old 12-10-2020, 02:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,582,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
In today's Coeur d'Alene Press:

Titled, "Home values rising like crazy in southern Idaho, too"
Sub titled, "Boise home prices growing faster than any other top-100 U.S. metro area"

By John Sowell, The Idaho Statesman

Basically, house prices rising faster in Boise than anywhere else in the nation, in big cities. 16.4% this past year. Also led the nation last year with a 11.1% increase. No, it's not your imagination. One realtor expects it to keep going up in the Spring.
You’ll eventually hit a affordability ceiling.

I feel sorry for people who were getting ready to buy that lived in Idaho cause they're getting priced out. Unfortunately there is no guarantee you will,own a hoise where you really want to live. Eventually the “big” cities in Idaho will be overwhelmed so Idahoans sell and move. I mean right now if yiur hoise is worth 1.5-2x what you paid for it you can walk wi5 a lot of cash. Enough to make moving worth it. And as the COVID thing goes away quite a few people will get tired of the cold and snow and want to move back to warmer places so there will be sipome fluctuations in that sense.

I myself am looking to move to Idaho. But I don’t mind the cold and i have absolutely no desire to live full time in So Cal again. We may keep a hoose here as a vacation home. There are plenty of things I can do so I’ll most likely open up my own business again and make my own schedule. But I’m not dead set on Idaho. Wyoming would be ok. I was thinking Tennessee but I do t think my wife wants that.

Old 12-10-2020, 02:55 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,382,309 times
Default Your comment and summary should be...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There's always 2 sides to a real estate boom.
Folks like elousv, who have no plans to sell their home, will always get nicked but the rising property taxes, but there's always someone else like my next door neighbor.

He bought the house next door in 2006 or 2007 at a time when home prices hadn't changed much for a long time and sales were stable and predictable.

Everything was fine for him and his family until 2 years ago, when a long bout of ill health changed everything. He was off his job for months at a time when he was coming close to retirement, and once he was able to return to work, he had trouble doing it that he never had before.

He never said much to me about it, so I don't know any details, but he decided to retire early late last year, and wasn't all that happy with that decision. He just sold his house, and only a few days ago, finished moving out. He's not leaving this area, I'm sure, as his extended family has been here a very long time, and all his grown kids are still here.

I won't ever know why, but I'm pretty sure he simply took advantage of the price spike here and solved some financial problems. Newly retired, that was a beneficial thing for him to do.
Since most of that money will go into a new home for him and his family, it was beneficial for someone else too. It was good for the city, as the money is staying here and moving around.

The new owner of the house next door will be paying higher property taxes on it than he paid, but he will be paying higher taxes on his new place too.

Since the city has one more new citizen, the property taxes won't be rising for any of us as much as they would if the newbie had not decided to move to Idaho.

Property taxes are ones a taxpayer can see. If the city is using them well, and all the city services are being well met, it's money well spent for all. If not, then taxpayers can change that easier at the city level than at any other in the next election.

If a city is growing soundly, new folks who just moved in are finding new jobs that were created by the growth. Growth means life may cost a bit more for everyone, but when its well managed, the costs to each resident are smaller than the benefits they get from the growth.

Its only when the growth gets out of hand or wasn't adequately planned for that causes trouble.

But I've seen stagnation, where a city quits growing and slowly begins to die cause much more trouble than growth.When more folks leave than come, things like property taxes can really get bad.
Your reasoned comment and summary should be top posted in every RANT THREAD about house prices, people coming from out of town, and rants no seeing the forest before the trees. This is happening EVERYWHERE and it's not the Chinese, or the Californians. It's an economic trend over fifty years, with burps like the credit crunch, that now has people my age with "income streams" built over half a century. But those house builds and higher tax and permit fees FUND all kinds of jobs, especially those with the city/county and ranters seeem to forget all that. Everywhere, (except maybe south Milwaukee and east wherever; they have OTHER unresolved issues).

Old 12-15-2020, 10:50 AM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
I drove by Clark Fork a couple days ago. I'm not sure where your place is, but Clark Fork is still there!

Somehow I missed your post. CF is still there--that's good to know! But have you checked it lately?

We have a road-trip theory that the view is being created ahead of us (by the Management) as we drive, so it actually only exists some 30 minutes ahead of us. And sometimes when we take unexpected detours, everything looks kind of unfinished for the first few miles! That's also why sometimes distances seem longer than other times. Management moves towns around, especially in the dark. (That theory provides a bit of entertainment on long hauls... Are we a little bit nuts? Oh yes! Or else we've seen too many Twilight Zone episodes... )

Old 12-15-2020, 11:03 AM

648 posts, read 432,677 times
With all the development going on, when will they need to start doing substantial infrastructure upgrades? Sewer processing plants and roads/highways for instance.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:49 AM

726 posts, read 329,628 times
Quote:
Somehow I missed your post. CF is still there--that's good to know! But have you checked it lately?
Yeah, drove through there a couple days ago. We even stopped at the Cabinet Grill for (what we call) a Covid burger to go. (Folks are really lax in Clark Fork about the pandemic. Mask wearing is rare.)

Quote:
We have a road-trip theory that the view is being created ahead of us (by the Management) as we drive... Are we a little bit nuts?
No, not really nuts at all. Oddly, some physicists consider the idea that we're living inside a giant computer simulation to be "a legitimate scientific hypothesis." (I'm not among them. Well, I'm not a physicist either.) Here's a Scientific American article about it. Too bad the simulation does not allow instantaneous teleportation!

Old 12-15-2020, 01:59 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,781,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocoilslick View Post
With all the development going on, when will they need to start doing substantial infrastructure upgrades? Sewer processing plants and roads/highways for instance.
In North Idaho . . . infrastructure upgrades are going to be slow. There are a few state-sponsored projects in the works. Highway 41 between Post Falls and Rathdrum is currently being expanded to four lanes, with a separate bike lane. Right about the time that is completed in a couple of years, they are going to start re-building the I-90 and Hwy 41 interchange. They just opened the new Hwy 53/95 interchange. That's about it, (in Kootenai County). Earlier this year, they finished a Hwy 95 "re-do" between the freeway to the north end of Hayden. Some new lights, some removed, new turn lanes, etc. All state projects.

Locally, in the past election, the voters in Kootenai County turned down a proposition that would increase vehicle license fees by $50 per year which would go to funding a series of specified road infrastructure upgrades. It was a tough sell in these days when many are out of work due to the virus and property taxes are ever increasing. They don't want one more fee added, and many believe that new residents are causing the increase in the crowded roads and it is they who should pay for any upgrades. Also, drivers from Washington cause much of the congestion, and they wouldn't be paying the fee. It is seen as "unfair" to long-term residents.

There was no "Plan B". It is unknown what will happen now.

Schools are another area that have a much-needed increase in funding. That's a hard sell for the same reasons. The last increase two elections ago, (not sure if it was a bond or something else), was voted down locally. Residents are not in a mood to give schools more money.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho