Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 01:53 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
All depending on where you are, don't count on your local fire department to show up if there is a fire in your area and you are outside city limits. We subscribe to annual fire protection because our place is rural.
Yes, indeed.
It's still good to have a Pulaski to use until the fire dept. shows up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 03:16 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that there is nowhere in the country that doesn't get up around 100 degrees for a week or two in the summer. Or, at least, very few places. Being far north doesn't protect you from hot weather.

But yes. I agree with you. It's been miserably hot. I'm grateful for my air conditioning.
The Pacific coast north of the Bay Area doesn't. Highest temperature I've ever experienced in Seattle in my two summers here was maybe 90.

But it's different when you get inland, and the Cascades and Coast Ranges shield you from the moderating effects of the Alaska wind currents. I've taken two trips over the mountains this summer, one to Boise and one to Helena MT, and on both trips it's gotten to 100.

Old 08-27-2020, 03:30 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times
I still love that SF fog. Wish there was another place out of CA that can get duplicate weather with 55-65 degree all year round temps.

Old 08-28-2020, 01:02 AM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
The Pacific coast north of the Bay Area doesn't. Highest temperature I've ever experienced in Seattle in my two summers here was maybe 90.

But it's different when you get inland, and the Cascades and Coast Ranges shield you from the moderating effects of the Alaska wind currents. I've taken two trips over the mountains this summer, one to Boise and one to Helena MT, and on both trips it's gotten to 100.
Yup.
The average summer temps in Idaho are the mid-80s, but in my experience, it's a rare summer that doesn't have about a week of 90º or more in July or August.

Indian summers are also typical. There will be a drop in temps in September that are low enough to freeze at night, and they're almost always followed by a few weeks of summer-like temps that last to the end of that month.

The freeze is so predictable the potato farmers count on it. Potatoes aren't harvested until the vine freezes and dies. That's when the spuds stop growing. After the growth stops, the potatoes develop their flavor.

Old 08-28-2020, 03:20 PM

43 posts, read 87,150 times
Glad it’s back to mid-80s! And last night it was 48 degrees! We run around at night and open all the windows and screen doors, sleep bundled up and toasty with cool faces, and then close up in the morning to keep the cool air in (or hot air out.). We sequence lowering and raising the blinds on the east and west side and its been quite pleasant inside. I will admit we hauled out our portable AC unit last week, and I hate air conditioning but was grateful for the relative cool.

It seems to me our berries are way behind what I remember: still producing strawberries and half of my blueberries are not ripe yet. Is this normal for here?

Old 08-28-2020, 04:46 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,897 times
Not sure where you are located DvrGrl, but I've harvested about 85% of my blueberries. We've got about 13 pints in the freezer from this year's harvest. Probably just 1-2 more pints yet to pick.

August seems to be our big month for blueberries.

We live in Sagle.

Dave

Last edited by Cnynrat; 08-28-2020 at 05:22 PM..

Old 08-28-2020, 10:32 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
How has the huckleberry harvest been this year? I see in my mind's eye our favorite huckleberry mountainside...

Old 08-29-2020, 12:54 PM

43 posts, read 87,150 times
Sorry, we are in Sagle west of 95 off of Dufort. I think your side is a little cooler (and I like it better, but alas didn’t find anything out your way that we liked/could afford/was available).

Old 08-29-2020, 01:49 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,897 times
CFF - I haven't heard people either raving or complaining about the huckleberry harvest this year, so I'm going to guess it's pretty typical. We spend enough time harvesting morels around our place in the spring, and then enough time in our garden that we don't often get out for huckleberries.

DvrGrl - Ah, yes I'd guess we are perhaps a little cooler than where you are. We are about a mile from Pend Oreille in a couple different directions, and I think that moderates our temps in both directions. I looked at my notes from a couple years ago, and we were done with our blueberries in mid-Aug that year, so they do seem to be running a couple weeks late this year. BTW, I picked the last pint today. Oddly, last year we had so few berries that I never even put up the bird netting figuring I'd donate the few we had to the birds for the year. But we're back to normal this year.

Dave

Old 08-31-2020, 09:27 AM

36 posts, read 25,472 times
The last day of August just brought us some much needed rain here in NID. Everything feels cool and clean this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho