Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 06:28 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,280,067 times

Advertisements

I think we average 25 or so days above 90. Not all years get to 100, but 1967 had 16 days above 100. Most of the time it is fine in the morning until the heat ramps up. It rarely stays hot all night. This summer has been fantastic, especially since we have so far been spared the wildfire smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 06:33 PM

561 posts, read 440,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I'll take the hot and dry any day over hot and humid.
Indeed. What makes Texas unique, especially north Texas around Dallas is you can get 115+ with 50%+ humidity fairly frequent and often. Hottest I’ve ever personally recorded at my house was 119 on a day with over 60% humidity. I almost died doing the yard work. So yea, I’ll take 115 and dry versus 95-100 and humidity days on end. We’ve been very fortunate the past few years to have had very mild summers for Texas. 95-105 temps and no 110 days in a while. Hah! GLOBAL WARMING!!!

Fun fact, it can get a little cold here too on rare occasions. Lowest temp I recorded at the house was -3 Fahrenheit. And this is Texas we are talking about. Also had 18” of snow once. That was brilliant, my wife and I loved that. I cannot wait for winter!

But I digress with my babbling.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:54 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
The most worrisome thing about this hot spell was our prolonged cool, rainy spring.
May was like April, and June was like May.

It allowed all the grass and seedling starts everywhere plenty of time to take root and get ready to grow fast once the heat came. So all the forest undergrowth is thick, lush, and drying out too fast.

If lightning lights up a tree, the fire will go to down to the bottom as fast as to the top of the surrounding area. That's what starts the firestorms when high winds happen.

Once a firestorm starts, they can make their own weather. When that happens, they can go on and on until they either run out of fuel or the temps/humidity cool and rise to the point they can't promote the fire's spread any longer.

That usually means a big fire will burn into October. Those fires can't be stopped, but with luck, they can be contained just enough to keep them from burning a town down to ash.

Woodsmoke is exactly right- in such conditions, the only way a home can be saved is to remove all of the surrounding fuel sources and pray. If a metal roof heats up enough, it will start the home burning.
By the time the roof is that hot, it's likely the electricity is gone and the water pump is out of business unless all the wiring is underground. The only thing left is to smother the roof with dirt and hope that works.

Swinging a Pulaski is really hard work, but it could be the only tool a person has that can still fight the oncoming fire.

It's far better to strip all the greenery down to dirt long before the fire comes marching over the mountain.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:10 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,903,946 times
Hot summers in the northwest are a crapshoot. 2015 was hot, 2016 was cool, 2017 was warm in July and August, 2018 and 2019 were average and this year is definitely leaning hot.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:07 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,783,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The most worrisome thing about this hot spell was our prolonged cool, rainy spring.
We actually had a sprinkling last night. Thunder woke me up around 2:15 (PDT), and after calming the pups, noticed a tad of rain followed shortly. This morning, the sidewalks and streets are dry, so probably didn't do much.

Coming from the high desert, I get a kick when locals start complaining how hot it is when the temps reach the mid 80's. If they only knew.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-19-2020, 09:55 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,766,800 times
I hear ya Volo. When I lived in Salt Lake there would be weeks of 105's in August. Nobody complained because it was a "dry heat". Yeah.......right. Like when you'd be out in the sun and feel your skin baking. The good thing is it simply doesn't last all that long. We also got a mild sprinkle but not much last night down in south central ID.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:51 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,783,305 times
I had visions of lightening fires in the hills west of us. Same as in NoCal right now. Thought our time had come. Thankfully, haven't noticed any smoke anywhere around, so we may have dodged a bullet.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-19-2020, 03:24 PM

5,588 posts, read 5,033,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I had visions of lightening fires in the hills west of us. Same as in NoCal right now. Thought our time had come. Thankfully, haven't noticed any smoke anywhere around, so we may have dodged a bullet.
We have lots of smoke in NorCal right now. 0 containment.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:48 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
There was a little dry lightning here last night, but it stayed up in the air.

It's smoky down here today, coming up from California, but it's just drift- there hasn't been any wind today. At 33%, the humidity is unusually high, which makes the smoke more irritating.

For some reason, California wildfire smoke always has a faint odor of burning rubber in it. It doesn't have the pitchy smell a local wildfire has.

The heat has been oppressive today; my dog prefers to be outside when it's hot like this; he's more comfortable under the shade of my back yard maple, where he can dig up some moisture in the flower bed.
But not today. He wanted to come in by noon, and we both zonked out for a couple of hours, just enduring the heat. At 85º, the house is stuffy, all buttoned up against the heat outside, but it's 15º cooler, and less smoky inside.

The best of a bad situation. I'm hoping for some sundown breeze to refresh things a bit.

Old 08-19-2020, 05:03 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,280,067 times
My AC has been set to 70 since April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho