Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 07:50 PM

820 posts, read 1,739,471 times

Advertisements

CDA has always been a hub in NW Idaho. It is growing at a very high rate when considering other areas because of the many different ideals listed in this thread. But you don't have to live in CDA. Go north like mentioned above, or go south, maybe even the silver valley?

When it comes down to it, all cities with something to offer grow, or they die. They grow because people like what they have to offer. I like to compare it to friendships. Most of us don't have the same friends we did when we were growing up, and thats ok. We develop new friendships along the way. You may have moved here 20 years ago for something things you loved and now those things have changed. More than likely if you bought 20 years ago, you have a boatload of cash and are able to move somewhere that more aligns with you life now.

I am in no way saying if you don't like it, move, I am no one of those [mod cut], I am just offering perspective. When I was growing up, I hated it here. Boring as hell as a kid. Now I am almost 37 and I wont leave again.

Do we have too much traffic because our leaders are inept and don't think ahead? Yes.
Do we have infrastructure problems beyond traffic for the same reason? Yes.

Overall, you weigh the good with the bad and decide from there. Only issue I have currently is that the R's have made primaries closed and so races that shouldn't be partisan (Sheriff for example) I can vote unless I register as a R [mod cut]. I am I, I should have my voice heard. But thats a whole different rabbit hole.

Last edited by volosong; 06-22-2020 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: expletive deleted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 07:58 PM

440 posts, read 240,170 times
Everybody came from somewhere. CDL infrastructure is limited and it gets crowded in the summer. On the other hand, there is plenty of water. Thing that bothered me about places around there is the number of dead trees. Seems like quite a growing forest fire threat. Some kind of mold or bug is really effective at killing those trees.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:40 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,378 times
ridiculously overbuilt, overpriced and overcrowded 100%

Old 06-22-2020, 11:38 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
ridiculously overbuilt, overpriced and overcrowded 100%
I don’t quite understand that. Compared to Spokane, Boise, and other large NW areas, NID still seems remarkably spread out with plenty of space for everyone. Sure, Coeur d’ Alene has grown with the usual big box stores, chains, etc., the area outside of this area seem still quite rural and surrounded by wilderness. I get it is all subjective in the end.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,664 times
Currently live in Vancouver, WA looking to relocate Spokane or Northern Idaho area. We like to get away from the Portland area as it’s a complete disaster. Many Portlanders are moving over to this side of the river. Been to both area’s many times and know the area pretty well. Heard Spokane has moved considerably more left over the years. The homeless and Meth issue is a huge turnoff, but have a lot of friends that live there. Schools are solid in Spokane. I’m a conservative so thinking Northern Idaho is the better fit. I work from home, but do have kids in middle and HS age.
Is there any truth to Spokane becoming more like Seattle politically? Many are fleeing the westside of State and from California to these new hot spots.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:47 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,150,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter9 View Post
Currently live in Vancouver, WA looking to relocate Spokane or Northern Idaho area. We like to get away from the Portland area as it’s a complete disaster. Many Portlanders are moving over to this side of the river. Been to both area’s many times and know the area pretty well. Heard Spokane has moved considerably more left over the years. The homeless and Meth issue is a huge turnoff, but have a lot of friends that live there. Schools are solid in Spokane. I’m a conservative so thinking Northern Idaho is the better fit. I work from home, but do have kids in middle and HS age.
Is there any truth to Spokane becoming more like Seattle politically? Many are fleeing the westside of State and from California to these new hot spots.

Just my 2 cents about Spokane & Eastern Washington (I have relatives that live there plus got to visit Spokane a couple times in the past 7 years)

* I really like Spokane. During the meth boom it definitely was reflecting some of the nastier issues that come with that sort of problem, but things are nicer now and people there seem like they work together to keep the city livable and pleasant. It's sunnier/drier than Western Washington state.

* It's working class, I can't speak for the schools but obviously the schools must benefit from Washington State's overall culture of being supportive of families.

* Compared to Northern Idaho, Eastern Washington is more "liberal" if only for the fact that it's literally Washington State. I love it there though so I obviously have a personal bias.

The only way to be sure about relocating there is to visit and see. Facebook groups local to the area might be more illuminating.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:53 PM

146 posts, read 154,264 times
Im in the middle of this right now. Our home near the sound goes on the market Wednesday...and will be relocating east. We looked at Spokane Valley and Liberty Lake, and while beautiful they are still in Washington which worries us. For us, we are going to pay the income tax penalty and move to Idaho.

In two brief years of living here, we have discovered the beauty of Washington. From seeing our first Orcas 10 minutes from our house, to being in the mountains and snow it is exceptionally beautiful. What isn't beautiful, is the state's open disdain and contempt for the working class of people. I am just a vessel to support the will of King County with my tax dollars. My vehicle plates over doubled because I have a hybrid (how dare i...it goes 30 miles on battery but rest gas and they treat it like a full electric) and my property taxes go up 20% a year. The government of this state is so hell bent on pouring tax dollars into illegal immigrants and sanctuary cities, a drugged out homeless population, and pacifying lawbreakers like CHOP that the average law abiding citizen gets the shaft. I have friends in CALIFORNIA making fun of what's going on in Seattle...let that sink in. Seattle is disgusting, and it will not be long until all the producers leave...but hey...rent will be cheaper

I can not take a risk for my family to stay in a state that abandons its citizens and businesses to anarchists. Think that sounds harsh...its not...its reality.

So really we see no choice, Idaho bound in a few weeks

Old 06-29-2020, 11:03 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
[mod note] Enough Washington bashing. This is the Idaho forum. [/mod note]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-24-2020, 06:40 PM

9 posts, read 6,999 times
Hi Green Guy,
I literally just wrote a college paper on this topic! The median income for single-income households is around $45,000 a year, whereas the shiny new houses being built around CDA and Hayden go for upwards of $300,000! Yes, I do think it's a huge problem, CDA is only going to grow.
My family and I moved here 13 years ago thinking about how idyllic and "slow" it was. That's slowly diminished and it's sad to watch all the fields being paved over.
If I had the choice to relocate, I would move somewhere near Hauser, maybe up to Athol, or even further up to Sandpoint to be near another town location. Transplants are bringing their money into the state and buying up all the nice houses, leaving us median income earners with fewer options on what to do and where to live.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:38 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
I moved to CDA to take a job in 1978. I finally left in 1983 due to overcrowding.

Oh, the trees were dying in 1978. I would think by now they would ALL be dead!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho