Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 08:18 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,479,281 times

Advertisements

"On the other hand there is no legal basis for preventing citizens from moving freely within our country."

I do not want to step on any toes at all. but please let us understand on thing clearly: Prevention of the spread of infectious diseases of all types IS a legally recognized reason for authorities to limit/stop travel. It is modern day custom in our society to not restrain people, and such restraint may rub some of us the wrong way, but unfortunately, the statement above is not correct, although many people incorrectly believe it. I have known cases in my own lifetime of infectious people being restrained by police enforcement to obey a quarantine.

Please read here: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/about...isolation.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 09:43 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,766,800 times
I understand Ketchum's hospital has a whopping 1 ICU bed. Yikes..........

Old 03-24-2020, 11:07 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,016,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
"On the other hand there is no legal basis for preventing citizens from moving freely within our country."

I do not want to step on any toes at all. but please let us understand on thing clearly: Prevention of the spread of infectious diseases of all types IS a legally recognized reason for authorities to limit/stop travel. It is modern day custom in our society to not restrain people, and such restraint may rub some of us the wrong way, but unfortunately, the statement above is not correct, although many people incorrectly believe it. I have known cases in my own lifetime of infectious people being restrained by police enforcement to obey a quarantine.

Please read here: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/about...isolation.html
It is not merely a "custom" to not restrain people. It's a fundamental right enshrined in the First Amendment to the Constitution.

I'm not at all shocked that the Federal government has created unconstitutional laws. They've been doing so for a long time.

Dave

Old 03-24-2020, 11:30 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,479,281 times
Please.... None of us should substitute opinion for law. It does not help us to know and understand.

Examine ID laws or any other state statutes. Just one example from ID statutes (and there are more):

From the Idaho statues, 56-1003:

(7) The director, under rules adopted by the board of health and welfare, shall have the power to impose and enforce orders of isolation and quarantine to protect the public from the spread of infectious or communicable diseases or from contamination from chemical or biological agents, whether naturally occurring or propagated by criminal or terrorist act.
(a) An order of isolation or quarantine issued pursuant to this section shall be a final agency action for purposes of judicial review. However, this shall not prevent the director from reconsidering, amending or withdrawing the order. Judicial review of orders of isolation or quarantine shall be de novo. The court may affirm, reverse or modify the order and shall affirm the order if it appears by a preponderance of the evidence that the order is reasonably necessary to protect the public from a substantial and immediate danger of the spread of an infectious or communicable disease or from contamination by a chemical or biological agent.
(b) If the director has reasonable cause to believe a chemical or biological agent has been released in an identifiable place, including a building or structure, an order of quarantine may be imposed to prevent the movement of persons into or out of that place, for a limited period of time, for the purpose of determining whether a person or persons at that place have been contaminated with a chemical or biological agent which may create a substantial and immediate danger to the public.
(c) Any person who violates an order of isolation or quarantine shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:51 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,016,783 times
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The First Amendment has been incorporated against the states (see Gitlow v. New York 268 U.S. 652), meaning state and local governments must abide by this provision of the Constitution.

Again, I am far from shocked to find that there are statutes on the books that are obviously unconstitutional.

Dave

Old 03-24-2020, 01:52 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,257,107 times
There are laws, but no state official has officially enacted one....yet.

It's out there, if afraid remain in your home till it runs its course. I'll still go to stores to get what I need.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:15 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,550,083 times
There are only like 2 roads in and out (3 if you count dirt IIRC). Shouldn't be too hard to drop a few trees across them.

kidding...sort of.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:47 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,766,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There are only like 2 roads in and out (3 if you count dirt IIRC). Shouldn't be too hard to drop a few trees across them.

kidding...sort of.
A guy after my heart

Old 03-25-2020, 06:41 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,815,085 times
Default Statewide 21 Day Stay at Home Order issued

Here's the link to the order issued today.

https://coronavirus.idaho.gov/wp-con...der_032520.pdf

Info

https://coronavirus.idaho.gov/

Last edited by redwood66; 03-25-2020 at 06:52 PM..

Old 03-26-2020, 10:03 AM

424 posts, read 581,700 times
Maybe it's time for hard hit areas in Idaho to take the same steps Florida has.

ORLANDO, Fla. – Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said in a news conference Monday anyone flying from New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut to Florida will be placed under a mandatory 14-day quarantine, saying again that he does not have plans to place the state under a shelter-in-place

However, I would say anyone arriving from those hard hit States whether by plane or car have to go into mandatory 14 day isolation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho