Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 09:05 PM

8,505 posts, read 8,814,710 times

Advertisements

I see the OP hasn't logged in for 2 plus years; but... if you happen by and feel like giving an update, there would be some curious readers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 04:41 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,393,554 times
Here's an update:
The Mackay Bar ranch is for sale. It's the last spot on the Salmon River that's inhabited, and is always going to have no neighbors because it's inside the boundaries of the Frank.

It's offered at $6,700,000, and the buyer will need to own a horse, or boat, an airplane, an ATV, and/or a snow machine to get into the place as there are no roads into it at all, and never will be.

The ranch is only 21 deeded acres, but it has an airstrip, a low-water jet boat dock, 3,000 feet of river frontage, a great white sand beach, and is fully set up as a small destination resort with a lodge, private guest cabins and other lodging, and everything else needed. Water rights, solar, hydro and propane power w/ a new generator.

It's also a functional small livestock ranch with fully fenced pasture that is irrigated and can be cropped for hay.
(I'm not sure I would want to raise much livestock there- lots of predators in the Frank, and domestic animals might attract them.)

The ranch has been there since 1956, and has always made a go of it as a very nice small getaway resort. It's also been a profitable home base for guided hunting, fishing, and sightseeing expeditions into the Frank. Since it's the last place on the river, it's also a very popular overnight spot for all the whitewater boating that runs the Salmon.
I think there's also a general store included, and the place is a natural for operating jet boat tours and fishing expeditions.

The present owner has never lived there full-time, as far as I know, but the place has always been occupied by families who have managed the property. Any owner would have to have some excellent financial resources; anything that comes in or goes out will be costly.

It is exceptionally isolated for sure. Life there wouldn't be lonely year-round, though, as the Salmon is now a very popular whitewater river in the summer. The winters would be very difficult for sure. Anyone who lives there would always have a lot of maintenance and upkeep to do, and have to be physically fit and healthy.

It would be a strenuous life, but it would also be a life spent the the most beautiful wilderness Idaho has to offer, and the only area that will always remain true undeveloped wilderness that exists in the lower 48.

For someone who wants to experience pioneer life in the western wilderness, this place is the ultimate.

Last edited by banjomike; 09-03-2022 at 04:56 AM..

Old 09-03-2022, 09:35 AM

https://mackaybarranch.com/gallery/photos/ The about page has more on the current owners.

Carole King's Robinson Bar Ranch (also in region but a moderate distance outside the Church wilderness) apparently sold for way way less than earlier pricing.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...ranch-for-sale

https://hallhall.com/property-for-sa...91Y00001wJ9Uf/

Property history from way before Carole King:
https://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/robinson-bar-ranch/

King would buy around 1987. (She and husband were road closers, winning a legal fight to do so.)

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-03-2022 at 10:43 AM..

Old 09-03-2022, 12:22 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,278,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
https://mackaybarranch.com/gallery/photos/ The about page has more on the current owners.

Carole King's Robinson Bar Ranch (also in region but a moderate distance outside the Church wilderness) apparently sold for way way less than earlier pricing.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...ranch-for-sale

https://hallhall.com/property-for-sa...91Y00001wJ9Uf/

Property history from way before Carole King:
https://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/robinson-bar-ranch/

King would buy around 1987. (She and husband were road closers, winning a legal fight to do so.)
Loved the last article about the Robinson Bar ranch!

Old 09-04-2022, 02:53 PM

5,587 posts, read 5,027,424 times
https://mackaybarranch.com/salmon-ri...fishing-trips/

This looks great

Old 09-04-2022, 09:16 PM

58 posts, read 32,168 times
It's breaking my heart but I'm going to have to sell my 7 acre wilderness retreat in Hokkaido, Japan and try to find something in Idaho because my wife is fed up with Japan's pandemic restrictions on non-residents entering Japan. She hasn't been able to enter Japan for 2-1/2 years while I've been able to because I have a business visa.

We've been going back and forth between Portland and Japan for years because I work remotely and it worked for me because the property has everything I ever dreamed of. Looks like the dream is over now though as the price I can get for my place is a lot less than what a comparable property in Idaho is going for now -- if you can even find it.
Attached Thumbnails
Wilderness living...-thumbnail-hokkaidohousedec16.jpg  

Old 09-05-2022, 10:17 AM

Could she do what it takes to get a business visa as well? That would appear to be a main strategy to try.

I would not sell at this time.

If things are unsolvable in another year or two, maybe.

Old 09-05-2022, 12:02 PM

Take a qualifying job or create one.

Buying and reselling local products (locally, nationally or internationally) would be pretty simple to set up and run. Even if for low to no profit. Or import business. Would that qualify? Internet seminars? Writer / artist retreat? English as a second language teaching business with a Japanese partner if desired or necessary. travel / ticket agent. Maybe something among hundreds of typical local jobs would qualify? I'd think there would be some way to qualify for a business visa. If a person really wanted to be there. Surely there must be others who've done it to ask.

Air bnb, even a limited availability, super picky one. (Could be partly people you know or do other business with. Talk to lawyer / obey laws.)

Set up a life in Japan news site and become the correspondent?

Something.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-05-2022 at 01:18 PM..

Old 09-05-2022, 11:48 PM

58 posts, read 32,168 times
My wife and kids aren't interested in living full-time out in the middle of nowhere in the Japan countryside. Plus they don't speak Japanese so they don't have any local friends. So my wife just isn't interested in going thru the trouble and expense of getting dependent visas for everyone which would be difficult to maintain anyway if they're not actually domiciled in Japan. The situation worked well before the pandemic but I had sold my wife on the idea that the property would be a refuge in case things got bad but given that Japan's borders closed in April 2020 and still haven't opened to non-residents that idea's gone.

The hard part though is knowing it's going to be near impossible to find anything as nice in Idaho if you don't have millions to spend.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:59 PM

If you consider Idaho, what criteria for cost, house size, acreage, distance to town or city, etc.? Preferred elevation and snowfall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho