Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 02:57 PM

19 posts, read 23,330 times

Advertisements

1-2 hours from any town. I can commute farther on “town days” 3-4 hours to the next town for shopping once every month or two, or so..

I will be checking into the areas you’ve listed, thank you, although I’m really becoming focused on the Frank Church wilderness area.

I’m intending to be a regular visitor deep in the wilderness yes, haha. That’s the whole point, for me! I’m a woman of action, not of words (or of experiencing the wild through a window!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 04:28 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,805,720 times
Have you seen this ad? https://msarealty.com/property/wilde...l-creek-ranch/

Not in wilderness but nearby: https://www.adreamawayrealty.com/def...age=1&sortby=2

https://www.landhub.com/property/844...r-Basin-Cabin/

Do you have a target on property size or cost?

I don't think Elk City has been mentioned; but it might be at the limit of wild with (perhaps) acceptable winter access.

Bridge replaces river ford near Edwardsburg (for first time ever?) https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/payet...TELPRDB5338242

Sula MT would be another pretty good compromise between remote / wild and accessibility. Or Wisdom, Jackson or Wise River MT.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-15-2019 at 05:10 PM..

Old 11-16-2019, 08:31 PM

You found some places I hadn’t come across, thank you NWCrow. The Pistol Creek cabin(s) were of interest because of the location, but ultimately none fit the bill perfectly...

When it comes to property size it might be acceptable to me to go with less acreage if I’m bordered by National Forest. Price is a tricky one because I don’t need to spend much but I would if the right place can be found.

I checked out Elk Creek, it’s a good location. I’m not really finding MT interesting to me as much as it used to be. I certainly haven’t explored the whole State but I guess I just want to explore some new and different wilderness areas.

Last edited by VagabondForBeauty; 11-16-2019 at 09:39 PM..

Old 11-16-2019, 11:20 PM

https://www.xome.com/homes-for-sale/...3525-312999231 ? !

200 inches of snowfall. 2-4 ft on road for 5 month winter. https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?id2575 Would want to check everything carefully.

If you want far less snow then look around edges, like Riggins or south / east of Salmon. Or possibly around Fairfield, Kooskia or Grangeville.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-17-2019 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?id2575

Old 11-17-2019, 10:01 AM

I meant 2-4 ft on ground. Autocorrected to "road". I dunno if / how road to Dixie is plowed in winter.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:02 AM

Thanks again for the listing and the snowfall report. I’m probably going to build rather than buy and I’m always checking out winter access on the properties. Still looking and getting familiar with the areas...!

Old 11-19-2019, 10:21 AM

If you decide to build in a remote area, I'd think it wise to find an acceptable builder before buying. Not everyone may be willing to work remote. Probably better to have the builder, the schedule and the extra costs identified and agreed to beforehand.

Good luck with the search and after process.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:22 PM

Well, I took a road trip this past week and am back to square one. I drove South through ID and checked out properties around Grangeville, Riggins, Elk City, Kamiah, Orofino, then over to St. Marie’s, Wallace, Avery.. I didn’t find what I was looking for. Clearly growing up in Colorado and spending every spare moment in the Rocky Mountains has shaped my preferences. Now, having spent the last 10 years in Montana my standards are high. I’m still in search of rugged, mountainous beauty that is remote, not touristy. Although, something I’ve learned in all my travels, if a place is worthy it’s going to be touristy. I’m going to keep looking, just wondering now if I’m in the right State.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:27 PM

Thank you again, NWCrow for the advice on finding a builder that works in the back country. It can be done, just more challenging. And expensive.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:04 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VagabondForBeauty View Post
Well, I took a road trip this past week and am back to square one. I drove South through ID and checked out properties around Grangeville, Riggins, Elk City, Kamiah, Orofino, then over to St. Marie’s, Wallace, Avery.. I didn’t find what I was looking for. Clearly growing up in Colorado and spending every spare moment in the Rocky Mountains has shaped my preferences. Now, having spent the last 10 years in Montana my standards are high. I’m still in search of rugged, mountainous beauty that is remote, not touristy. Although, something I’ve learned in all my travels, if a place is worthy it’s going to be touristy. I’m going to keep looking, just wondering now if I’m in the right State.
Keep driving south. You just didn't go far enough into Idaho.

All the most spectacular stuff is south of Boise. It's also where some of it is the most remote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho