Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 25,673 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am one of I am sure many who is fed up with the sourthern California rat race. Crime, cost of living, the invasion of illegal immigrents are the major factors. I am planning to Move my family to the Coeur d alene area and buy or start a business there. I am hoping someone can give me some ideas of what is needed in the area between Cour d alene and Sandpoint to not only make a living for my family, but to give the community something it would benifit by. Any suggestions or input would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 10:54 AM

218 posts, read 1,486,990 times
Might be a good investment of your time & effort to read the local newspapers:

Coeur d'Alene Press at www.cdapress.com
Spokesman Review at www.spokesmanreview.com
Bonner County Daily Bee (Sandpoint area) at www.bonnercountydailybee.com

Also the local chamber of commerce office might have some helpful insight at
www.cdachamber.com
www.sandpointchamber.org

Coeur D'Alene & Sandpoint areas are growing rapidly, with a lot of folks just like you! That is spiking the real estate prices up quite fast. The business needs are changing just as quickly, so I wish you lots of luck, although I don't have any specific business ideas to pass along. If I did, I might offer to go into business with you!

Old 12-09-2006, 09:13 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,543 times
Default The Coeur d'Alene - Sandpoint Corridor

Dear Bitemeufool - Is that a California Name?

I live outside Sandpoint and drive U. S. Route 95 to and from Coeur d'Alene frequently. It's a relatively desolate stretch with only a couple of small towns along the way. Towns like Algoma, Hayden, Cocolalla and Atho (that's an Idaho name with a lisp). Mostly forested areas. A very dark drive at night. Few lighted areas and several small or failed businesses along the way.

As you approach Coeur d'Alene you pass by a few businesses like manufactured home sales, decorative rock sales, gas stations and "Mom and Pop" stores of various descriptions. These are scattered rather than grouped and don't appear to being doing a great deal of business.

Hayden Lake (famous years ago as the bastian of "skinheads") is near Hayden and it does a brisk summer recreation business. And, so does Farragut State Park near Atho, which gets pretty good traffic year-round because it also features winter activities like ice skating, snowshoeing, ice fishing, etc.

Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint are both booming and I suspect the corridor will see development in the future. Right now, though, the area is pretty dead.

Hope that helps. If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes!

Pimit2

Old 12-09-2006, 10:10 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,548 times
I'm jealous, I love Coeur d'Alene and would move their if given a chance. I imagine any seasonal tourist type of attractions or businesses would be welcome there. The area is growing and I would imagine there would be lots of business opportunities around if you look hard enough. Good luck.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:02 AM

1 posts, read 12,828 times
Default labor market info

Hi, sounds like you probably need labor market information if you are thinking of buying or opening a business in Coeur d' Alene. Contact the Idaho Commerce and Labor office and ask for Katherine Tacke 208-769-1558.
You can also access the website at www.cl.idaho.gov/cda (broken link)

Old 12-10-2006, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 25,673 times
Thumbs up Thanks for the information

Thank you all for the information, it gives me a great place to start. The name Pimit2, came from frustration several years ago when I was signing into Pogo games for the 1st time and needed a screen name. All the names I tried were already taken, so out of frustration I typed in BITEMEUFOOL and it was accepted! It has stuck with me ever since. If any of you like games on the internet, try pogo.com. It has both a free area and a members section and is a pretty cool website. Thanks again for everyones help.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:03 PM

6 posts, read 26,229 times
Hi, I live in Michigan but I know many people in the Sandpoint area and it is a very very cool town and has alot of tourist type businesses. It is like a place out of the movies and I plan to move there too soon. I am about to start the last of my medical assistant schooling and would like to know if SandPoint or Coeur d'Alene has alot of medical jobs for a medical assistant, medical biller or receptionist? Thanks

Old 12-17-2006, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 12,818 times
Smile bitemeufool

Hello We have property in Sandpoint area and I'm thinking of doing something like you. We also live in Escondido CA Hidden Meadows area. We can't wait to move. My girlfriend and her family moved there a couple of years ago and they love it. If your looking for the very simple life than it's the place. Send me a note since we live in the same city and experience the same. My husband can work from anywhere which is good because there aren't many jobs in Sandpoint. Would like to talk.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:51 AM

8 posts, read 29,873 times
Default Thinking of moving to Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

We are thinking of retiring to Coeur d' Alene.

We would like to know what the downtown area is like. We want to live within walking distance to downtown.

What is the real estate like in the downtown area?

Thanks,
Connie

Old 05-19-2008, 03:46 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
I don't live in CdA but have visited several times...CdA is a lovely town in a really beautiful area. It is too pricey for my budget as far as living in town, and I prefer land around me to city lots so I am looking outside in the surrounding areas, but as far as towns go, I think CdA is one of the prettiest I have seen. Lots of nice areas to walk and shop and have a cup of coffee with a friend. You definitely should visit, though, before making an decisions. That's my advice for anyone moving anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho