Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:54 PM

21 posts, read 30,560 times

Advertisements

Thanks K-Dog. Well, the powers that be at work have given me the okay to relocate. So, now the waiting begins for our senior to graduate. Just one more year. Thank God our son won't have to spend another full year in this place! He's so excited about being able to get outdoors and go fishing, hiking, skiing, snowboarding and meeting new friends. Not being "native" Californians I don't think we have ever picked up any of the CA "attitude" that so many in NID complain about being brought in to the CDA area. I lived and worked for many years in southern Oregon but when the spotted owls and the marbled murrelets put an end to real logging over there I had to move on. Even back then Oregon was going the same way as California so I can understand the concern that the people in NID have about folks from CA moving in as I watched the same thing happen to Oregon in the 90's. I think this migration is different though. The middle class is being forced out of California. I've lived here in CA on and off since 1978 and it just gets worse every year. Now the libs don't even try to hide their disgust for us. I have a Trump sticker on my truck and have had my truck keyed, windows broken out and been flipped off more times than I can count. We have lost "friends" and have neighbors who won't talk to us all because we "dared" to put Trump signs in our yard last year. My son had friend of his whose dad come to our house and told him that he was never to come over to their house again and that his son would never be able to come to our house. All this over an election!
Between taxes, illegal immigration and absolutely no conservative representation in Sac those like us have no choice left but to leave. Why stay where we aren't wanted. We tried to change things but our numbers are too few in this state now. There just aren't enough of us in the red areas of the state to effect any change now and it's only going to get worse as the schools continue to indoctrinate the kids into believing Moonbeams and his cronies philosophy.
I'll be very happy to leave CA and never look back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 09:12 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,917,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinlib1 View Post
Thanks K-Dog. Well, the powers that be at work have given me the okay to relocate. So, now the waiting begins for our senior to graduate. Just one more year. Thank God our son won't have to spend another full year in this place! He's so excited about being able to get outdoors and go fishing, hiking, skiing, snowboarding and meeting new friends. Not being "native" Californians I don't think we have ever picked up any of the CA "attitude" that so many in NID complain about being brought in to the CDA area. I lived and worked for many years in southern Oregon but when the spotted owls and the marbled murrelets put an end to real logging over there I had to move on. Even back then Oregon was going the same way as California so I can understand the concern that the people in NID have about folks from CA moving in as I watched the same thing happen to Oregon in the 90's. I think this migration is different though. The middle class is being forced out of California. I've lived here in CA on and off since 1978 and it just gets worse every year. Now the libs don't even try to hide their disgust for us. I have a Trump sticker on my truck and have had my truck keyed, windows broken out and been flipped off more times than I can count. We have lost "friends" and have neighbors who won't talk to us all because we "dared" to put Trump signs in our yard last year. My son had friend of his whose dad come to our house and told him that he was never to come over to their house again and that his son would never be able to come to our house. All this over an election!
Between taxes, illegal immigration and absolutely no conservative representation in Sac those like us have no choice left but to leave. Why stay where we aren't wanted. We tried to change things but our numbers are too few in this state now. There just aren't enough of us in the red areas of the state to effect any change now and it's only going to get worse as the schools continue to indoctrinate the kids into believing Moonbeams and his cronies philosophy.
I'll be very happy to leave CA and never look back.
I remember reading about similar actions happening to people who voted for Obama. The right didn't shy away from showing their disgust for people who supported Obama. It seems to be a cycle in the good old USA.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 08-15-2017 at 09:22 AM..

Old 08-15-2017, 11:11 AM

44 posts, read 44,018 times
Thanks for the write up K-Dog. - So many of the factors above helped us make our decision.

We did a similar trip over the last year and ultimately chose Post Falls outside of CdA a month ago. Thus far we are pretty darned happy with our choice.

Here are a few to the mix.

- FYI, saw a banner outside the Kootenai Sheriff compound that indicated they were hiring. Not sure for what though.
- The location between CdA and Spokane was a factor. We both have medical backgrounds, and this gives us the possibility to go in that direction as well for jobs, any specialty care that may come up along with more shopping options should we need it.
- Trees, water, skiing, green, 4 solid seasons, low natural disaster possibility, political climate, low crime make this place great so far
- Spokane not so much for the crime factor. 15 minutes away in the Valley a motel receptionist told my sister to remove all valuable from the sight as they will be broken into and stolen. Have not heard that since flying through JFK airport years ago on the overhead "If you leave your bags unattended, they will be stolen". It does have more shopping and work options though.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:18 AM

25 posts, read 72,059 times
Thank you for the kind words all. I am glad this has helped others. It was a blast to re-live the experiences through writing it all up.

@CAHntr – I am glad you liked it.

@Smokinlib1- Congratulations on the okay to relocate! It sounds like we might be getting to the same area around the same time and should meet up when that happens. A good Idaho hike or range time or something. The country is in a struggle of two very different ideas and some have taken it to the max. Sad times, but exciting times to be preparing for a move in Idaho.

@A2Z_ Adventures. Isn’t it cool to check out a place because you think it has most of what you are looking then actually confirm it does by taking a trip? I love it and am glad you made your home in Post Falls as it is a safe place with Idaho, but a little easier drive to WA. It sounds like Spokane helps you both for needs outside of Idaho due to the population, just stay safe going there. The things you named are important to me as well and I know that my spouse and I will fit once we get up there.

The banner you saw at the SD is actually what was recommended to me due to the jail expansion and current hiring at departments. I talked to their recruiter too. Thank you for notifying me as I really appreciate it. About 2 weeks ago I spoke to all the area law enforcement agencies.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:17 AM

44 posts, read 44,018 times
Also found this the other day too...

Looks like Post Falls will be recruiting 2 more officers soon

The Coeur d'Alene Press - Local News, Post Falls OKs budget

Old 08-17-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog View Post

I can’t stand traffic as I run a mobile gym and drive about 3 hours daily from location to location plus long drives to Kern/Fresno for other activities. Gangs, traffic, liberals in general, street blocking protests, refugees, tons of homeless, and college based towns (parties, trash, parties, protests), high taxes, HOAs, and so forth are a huge turn off for me.

I like how both CDA and IF have access to colleges, but are not college towns. Both are not “refugee” centers.

So, you are looking for a town in Idaho to escape to and avoid refugees?

Old 08-17-2017, 08:16 PM

@ Syringaloid. The irony is not lost on me. It is one of the things on my list. I know Boise, Twin Falls (The yogurt factory), and Spokane take in refugees. Many refugees are great and many are hard workers. Some have skills, many do not. Some know the language, some do not or not yet. Some chose crime, many don't. Some assimilate into the values of the United States while keep special traditions, others want to change the USA and/or lech off the United States. Regardless of how you feel about refugees, I know how I feel and what I want. I experienced failed "helping" policies at my expense in oh so many ways in the state, county, city I live. So yes, I am a refugee who will embrace and assimilate to the culture of Idaho instead of trying to change it much like what is going where I live. Many like minded CA people have done so for this reason and some on this thread are planning or have done just that.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:45 AM

4,321 posts, read 4,221,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Boise has been a destination for Californians for years now. It's nothing new.
Numbers seem to support this.

Since 1990, population of Kootenai (Coeur d'Alene), Bonner (Sandpoint), and Ada (Boise) counties have all doubled. Bonneville (Idaho Falls) has 50% more people now than 1990.

The picture is almost the same for period 1970 - 1990. Doubling the population in one generation (20-25 years) is a huge jump, and these 3-4 counties have been sustaining this growth for the last two generations.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog View Post
@ Syringaloid. The irony is not lost on me. It is one of the things on my list. I know Boise, Twin Falls (The yogurt factory), and Spokane take in refugees. Many refugees are great and many are hard workers. Some have skills, many do not. Some know the language, some do not or not yet. Some chose crime, many don't. Some assimilate into the values of the United States while keep special traditions, others want to change the USA and/or lech off the United States. Regardless of how you feel about refugees, I know how I feel and what I want. I experienced failed "helping" policies at my expense in oh so many ways in the state, county, city I live. So yes, I am a refugee who will embrace and assimilate to the culture of Idaho instead of trying to change it much like what is going where I live. Many like minded CA people have done so for this reason and some on this thread are planning or have done just that.
To be fair there are plenty of "white" down home Americans who fit into your statements above.
I would say the culture of Idaho has blossomed with the addition of people from other areas of the world adding to the economy, diversity and life here, especially in Boise.

If you are interested in North Idaho you might find this interesting:

Group hoping to make Sandpoint a sanctuary city holds informational meeting - KXLY

Old 08-18-2017, 10:39 AM

@- Syringaloid - I don't want to get off topic and "white" does not mean American culture. There are plenty of people from different backgrounds that have bought into Western culture and have benefited life in American and me personally. There are many people who are white (tons of heritage within "white"." Russian, British, Australian, so forth)that can't stand American values. Color of skin has nothing to do with this as it is about the values and the culture of Idaho that is a draw.

I am for enforcement of laws and like legal immigrants who come to embrace and enhance the culture, not change it. Illegal immigrants are a slap to those who do it legally and to slap to the law of the country. In my view anyway. Feel free to think differently, but I don't want a social debate here as I am pointing out some observations from my experiences, research, and what I am looking for in a state, county, city. People are different and some are looking for the same values I am, some a mix, and some the opposite.

Now, let's get back on topic as I have no desire to debate politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho