Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 03:32 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,026,642 times

Advertisements

I believe they are referring to Duane Hagadone, owner of a successful diversified business conglomerate based in CdA. They own the CdA resort, the golf course, a marine dealership, a few marinas, and are the parent of the north Idaho newspapers (The Daily Bee, CdA Press, The Bonners Ferry Herald, plus a few others in MT, WA and WI ...).

I don't understand all the details, but apparently he wields a lot of influence, particularly in CdA.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 12:03 AM

29,230 posts, read 22,478,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I believe they are referring to Duane Hagadone, owner of a successful diversified business conglomerate based in CdA. They own the CdA resort, the golf course, a marine dealership, a few marinas, and are the parent of the north Idaho newspapers (The Daily Bee, CdA Press, The Bonners Ferry Herald, plus a few others in MT, WA and WI ...).

I don't understand all the details, but apparently he wields a lot of influence, particularly in CdA.

Dave
Hagadone isn't unique. All of Idaho's large cities have a Hagadone of their own. None of them interfere too much though in the day to day life for most of us.
As a southerner, I find most folk's lists on this topic to be pretty accurate as to the pros and cons. Every place has them, that's for sure.

The only one I thought was a bit amusing was the mention of our recent hot summers. CDA is far from unique in that regard; Pocatello and Twin Falls have been just as hot lately, and Boise always has had 100º summer days. Even Idaho Falls has had more of them lately than I can remember in the past.

Oddly, that's one of the earliest predictions done by the global warmers. A recent conversation I had with a Sho-Ban, I learned that in the Bannock's oral history of their tribe, Idaho was once warmer than it is now, and our recent hot summers were common. The Indians are pretty accurate in a lot of their history.

Last edited by banjomike; 04-15-2016 at 12:14 AM..

Old 04-15-2016, 07:29 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,026,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
As a southerner
For a minute there I thought you were going to tell us you were born in Georgia or something ...

Old 04-15-2016, 03:23 PM

29,230 posts, read 22,478,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
For a minute there I thought you were going to tell us you were born in Georgia or something ...
!

I thought that might catch someone's attention! I was indeed born and raised in the south. South Idaho.

I used to joke about that with my old shipmates in the Navy. Some were the real deal southerners.

I have a genuine connection to the South; one of my great-great grandmothers was the wife of a prominent plantation owner in Mississippi. When her husband converted to Mormonism, so did she, and they sold everything to move west.
Along the way, he and 2 of her children died of Typhus onboard a riverboat. The captain dumped them all out on a riverbank by St. Louis, the living and the dead, and she made her way to Idaho from there on foot, able to only bring what she and her 4 surviving small kids could carry. It took her 2 years to get here.

She lived well into her 90s, and before she died, had become a major financeer and a nationally known horse breeder, selling horses to the cavalry and to the western expansion. She never re-married.

Half of her kids joined the LDS church and the other half, my half, did not. I was just told this story last year, by a relative that came from the other half of her kids, and was introduced to a big bunch of cousins I already knew, but never knew we were related.

God works in wondrous ways. One of my brand new cousins gave me some really good help last year, at a time when I really needed it. For free. It was a sort of "Welcome to the family, cuz."

Last edited by banjomike; 04-15-2016 at 03:35 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 06:25 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,382,048 times
I like the gloomy weather. I was stationed in Yuma, AZ for ten years. I've had enough sun for three lifetimes.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:00 AM

84 posts, read 164,243 times
I think a lot of what some of the other posters have said is incorrect. If you look to rent or buy wear the internet out. Check out craigslist, nickelsworth and the Cda Press as well as any real estate sites you can find. With the exception of a 2 foot dump over a 3 day period there wasn't a lot of snow last winter. Winters have been gloomier than I was used to but We have not had a problem dealing with that. Snow at the higher elevations has varied from year to year; good in 13 and 16, bad in 15, OK in 14. Local weather people seem to think that the coming winter will be snowy. I've seen many decent homes under $200K.

y\

Old 08-04-2016, 11:41 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,615,000 times
I don't think I would call it gloomy just because it is overcast some of the time. The clear and bright snowy winter days are beautiful enough to make up for that , I think.

Housing has certainly gone up, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho