Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 30,268 times

Advertisements

I have been reading some of the threads; and I'm a litte afraid!
I'm a 10th generation native Californian, just married in my mid twenties and can't afford to live in California anymore. Literally can't afford it. It's very upsetting to be forced out of one's home state.

That being said, I'm looking into Idaho, and am well aware of the stigma attached to Californians over in Idaho. I do understand, becuase the more people that come into a place tend to screw everything up and people don't like that. (I live in CA, so I know) But people have to be able to try to make the best life they can for their family. Everyone is really trying to do the same thing in the world... with afew exceptions.... of course. Everyone has to have a place to live and that's just the way it is.

I've been looking into Idaho for a couple years now, and I need some opinions as to where the best job market is for 2 professionals in their mid twenties. I'm a Paralegal, and my husband is a Journeyman Plumber....
I read a bunch of conflicting info about the job market in Coeur d'Alene, Moscow and Boise. I don't want to be completely disillusioned, if someone would tell me how it is there, really is, how hard it is to find a job, etc.. I would greatly appreciate it! It's hard to be an outsider looking in .... especially when anything looks better than California.

Thank you so much for your time everyone- and have a nice day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 07:38 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
I am in N. Idaho and moved here 26 years ago from S. CA, during a time where people from CA were much more looked down upon. I was told then, get an Idaho license and license plate right away and just don't talk all the time about being from CA and you'll do fine, and that was true. You do not really need to worry about that. Unless you plan on coming here bragging about how much better CA is than ID and trying to change everything, no one will care. As far as your jobs I do not know specifically how easy or hard it will be, but the fact that you are professionals will help a lot. I would make a trip up here ahead of time and look at housing and the job market and visit the places you mentioned and decide which place you like best. My biggest adjustment was and is the weather. Unless you are really into snow and snow sports, winter can be loooong. Also there is little sun in the winter and spring.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 30,268 times
Default Many thanks!

Thank you very much for letting me know what you think! I appreciate it!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:12 PM

54 posts, read 140,769 times
Default I love Boise

My family and I moved to Boise from NV 4 months ago. I love it!! My kids love it too. I drove around with out of state plates for a couple of months and nothing happened to me. We live on the SW side of Boise almost in Meridian and I love everything about it. I can't tell you about jobs either. I came from the NV school district ( not a teacher) and haven't been able to get a job in the Meridian schools yet. I still have hope and faith that something will come up. I truly believe that Boise is a family kind of place.

Good Luck
F.S.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:41 AM

879 posts, read 2,858,653 times
I currently live in California but grew up in Boise and visit rather frequently. If you're looking for a more comprable lifestyle to the one you now have in California the only area that would come close is Boise. For the most part it has all the shopping and dining options you'll find in major California cities with the exception of very high end stores and designer stores. However, Boise has much more character than most suburban California communities and an abundance of outdoor activities within a short distance.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:04 AM

69 posts, read 239,017 times
Default Jobs??

I moved to Boise about 2 years ago from the SE. My first job closed the division that I worked in and I was laid off from my second job due to the slow down. Development has slowed down terribly. 3 months unemployed now. However, I doubt I'd be doing much better in the SE either. Is any area of the country prospering now?

Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 PM

40 posts, read 215,920 times
lynnsocal - check out the Idaho Falls area. I am a young(ish) mother too, and there is a great variety of things to do here with kids, it's pretty affordable, and I believe we were just named the only city in the US right now with unemployment less than 2%. I don't know anyone who can't find a job here, counting out the lazy ones who don't want to work. I have recently befriended 2 mothers from CA who like it here too. Just don't come and expect everything to be like California, we move a little slower here and aren't workout/botox kings and queens, but in general it's a pretty nice area to raise a family.

Boise is great too, but if you're looking for a bit smaller population and not as much crime, here we are.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:42 PM

28 posts, read 143,241 times
HI,

I too, am looking for the less expensive place in Idaho or Montana. My husband & I are disabled, so we don't have to go to work. The kids are grown or live with x spouse. So schools aren't an issue. Just need a quiet, 3-5 acres for our three horses and two dogs and the two of us. Inexpensive would be the order as we are on a fixed income...
perfer summers to be low 90s or less...

What area of Idaho would this be??? any suggestions would be welcome, please....

Thank You

Dee

Old 01-22-2008, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 14,916 times
I was born and raised in Boise - and I love it. It's growing so fast that the state needs to figure out what they are going to do 10 years in advance rather than fixing EAGLE road constantly...but other than the road/traffic issues, it's SAFE and wonderful!

Although, we do need more things for entertainment which could benefit the economy and give the people who aren't into sportsman activities, something to do....other than eating - because a lot of people are overweight in Idaho.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:31 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreemlite View Post
I was born and raised in Boise - and I love it. It's growing so fast that the state needs to figure out what they are going to do 10 years in advance rather than fixing EAGLE road constantly...but other than the road/traffic issues, it's SAFE and wonderful!

Although, we do need more things for entertainment which could benefit the economy and give the people who aren't into sportsman activities, something to do....other than eating - because a lot of people are overweight in Idaho.
I don't think we do - isn't this part of "coming in and changing things into something its not" that so many detest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho