Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:35 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3scorpios View Post
Jenab,
I am from the Susanville area and am looking for at least 5 acres. You say the Grangeville area is comparable to this area? Any land available in your area worth looking at? Looking for a nice place to retire to. Thanks, mo3s.
You would probably find Grangeville, very comparable to Susanville, without the prison atmosphere!!

There are Realtor websites for that area, most I have found up that way are friendly to work with. Seems to me it's got a "COWBOY TOWN" feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:52 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Smile You'll Know

lynnsocal,

I'd say wherever you can find a residence you like, a job you enjoy and the area feels like home to you so you are happy. The answer isn't necessarily the same for everyone.

Good luck

MSR

Old 04-03-2009, 04:27 PM

25 posts, read 113,548 times
Beware of buying property and moving to anywhere in Idaho County, Idaho. The commissioners think they are God and do not protect the interests and rights of resident property owners. See my site for info if you want. We are going thru a hellacious time here near Kooskia.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:46 PM

13 posts, read 29,894 times
Tennessee is very beautiful, the whole state, we lived in Knoxville for a few months, and it's a nice city. Even though it's bigger you still kindof have the small town feel because people are very friendly. Also it's a university town which I think is pretty cool. The humidity is pretty high though, altho if you are looking to be there for the winter, the winters are pretty mild. You do get snow, but it's not really common, although people don't really know how to drive when it does snow! It is definately a very pretty area and I would definately look into it!

Old 05-16-2010, 06:09 PM

18 posts, read 53,728 times
The Lewis and Clark Valley is on the top of my list. Hells Canyon on your back doorstep, miles of hiking/horseback riding trails, and of course I enjoy the Banana Belt weather and protection of the valley that facilitates hot air balloon rides throughout the year! Downsides do include the Potlatch smell, not nearly as potent or widespread as in the past due to cleanup measures that has taken place.

-Jim

Old 05-17-2010, 10:07 AM

84 posts, read 233,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
Boise is by far the best place to live in Idaho. If you end up anywhere else you can plan on basicaly sitting on your thumbs on evenings and weekends.Boise is also has the best support groups and clubs. And if you like golf, it is the only place to be.
ROFL - actually, playing cribbage is probably more accurate than 'sitting on your thumbs', and most folks that live "out there" could care less about support groups and clubs. I spent a few years in Cascade (no stoplights, one paved road, an IGA that hardly stocked any meat because you can just shoot an elk in the backyard, you know, the boonies) and I literally spent more time hiking/trail biking in the mountains and swimming in the lake than I spent in the house in the summertime. (you paid for it in the winter though... yikes!) It's probably fairly safe to say that most folks considering a move to Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming aren't too interested in city living

-forgot to answer the OP (LOL)... the "best place to live" in Idaho could be anywhere... If you don't want to give up everything, then Boise is best, if you're willing to give up some amenities (or good jobs) to gain something (access to nature, peace and quiet, a "baptist" or "LDS" area, or whatever it is you're looking for) then it just depends on what you're looking for... northern ID is more the "friendly neighborhood small town" sort of area, central ID is the "nature's playground" type area, and southern ID is the "quiet sleepy sit on your thumbs" sort of area (all three with exceptions of course, and ALL of it is just my opinion/observations)

Best "nature" town - Cascade/Donnely/McCall area (only because it's "way out there" but still a reasonable drive to Boise)
Best "neingborhood" town - CDA (possibly the largest "neighborly small town" type city in the country)
Best "city" city - Boise ( not the ONLY city in ID, but the only one that really compares well to the rest of the US)
Best "quiet nothing happens" town - Glenns Ferry (with admitted bias, there's a ton of "sleepy towns" just like it in ID, this was just the one my father chose to retire in)

Last edited by aelwero; 05-17-2010 at 10:20 AM..

Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 PM

37 posts, read 81,836 times
I don't know about other areas of Idaho, but what I can tell you is that even the lowliest jobs are becoming exceedingly hard to get in northern Idaho. If you are from CA, you might seriously consider the Twin Falls area. More jobs, warmer weather. Northern Idaho winters can be brutal.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 AM

18 posts, read 39,846 times
I am mixed race too but look white. I have had it with racists behaving towards me as if I am the racist. When I was a child in New Jersey, we didn't have all this manufactured race hate. I never heard a word against anyone in my home, church or schools. Now apparently I am the source of all evil.I read that Idaho is a good place to live. I heard that it is full of poor people. I am poor, so thought I might fit in. I am nearly retirement age and want a quiet & simple life. Is there any place where we don't have to deal with the hate?

Old 09-19-2010, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,035 times
I am a california plumbing contractor. Moved to Washington 2 years ago, for family. Thinking about moving to Idaho. Too much rain in Washington. Can I do plumbing with my calif. license? Also does Idaho have a little bit better weather.? Don't mind all the seasons. I did mind only 8 days in Washington that I spent at the lake. Any information on license and weather.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:12 PM

10 posts, read 36,990 times
Default Looking to move to Idaho

My husband and I are looking to settle down and start our family. We are looking into Idaho. Except trying to find a good town to live in Oregon when you have never visited is hard. So we need some guidence. I have read the form and so far I am interested in Twin Falls, Boise area. I want a place with there requirements
-Job opportunities
-Safe enviornment to raise children
-Close to colleges/universities
-Cheap Housing
-Friendly People
-Recreational activities

Now I know its hard to find but top of my list are the first 4!

If anyone could provide andy help I would really appreciate it. I would love to here from natives that have first had expirence.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho