Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 24,754 times

Advertisements

I starting visiting Idaho about 8 years ago and fell in love with the area.
I bought property and built a home just outside Salmon, ID.
Besides the wonderful scenery and interesting history. The cost of living is unbelievably low. Low Property taxes, cheap electricity (my highest utility bill including heat is under $85/mo for a 4,500 sqft house). Very friendly people, where else can you stand on the side of the street (not a crosswalk) and have cars stop and people smile and wave at you to cross the street.
City of Salmon Idaho Chamber of Commerce Travel Tourism Area ID
I think that you wouldn't have a problem finding work as a paralegal with Salmon being the county seat of Lemhi County. The building trade is down hear slightly like it has been all over the nation, but if your husband is self motivated, I don't think he would have a problem finding work in the plumbing trade.
As for your concerns about Californians moving to Idaho, I haven't heard of issues in Salmon, there are a number of people from Nevada and California already here. But I have seen issue in other parts of Idaho, I remember riding with a friend of mine in his truck over by Boise with California plates on his truck; in 6 hours of driving we were flipped off 5 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 07:34 AM

448 posts, read 1,070,495 times
My husband and I moved here from REAL N Ca (hr north of Reno,Tahoe,Truckee) and feel quite at home. We've been here 7 years and feel like it has been forever. Must admit that the Grangeville area is very similar from where we came from. The people are great and the area is perfect. We did change our license plates and licenses first thing though. Highly recommended. After living and working in Reno,NV this is heaven on earth!!!

Old 02-03-2008, 05:14 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,285,718 times
10th generation? that would be about 200 years. Can you trace your roots back to the time of the Franciscan missions in Alta California? If so, I am impressed.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:31 PM

65 posts, read 282,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janab View Post
My husband and I moved here from REAL N Ca (hr north of Reno,Tahoe,Truckee) and feel quite at home. We've been here 7 years and feel like it has been forever. Must admit that the Grangeville area is very similar from where we came from. The people are great and the area is perfect. We did change our license plates and licenses first thing though. Highly recommended. After living and working in Reno,NV this is heaven on earth!!!
Hey Janab, that didn't happen to be the Quincy area did it? Wifes parents live there, it's a beautiful area.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:04 PM

448 posts, read 1,070,495 times
Default Perfect spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4horseshoes View Post
HI,

I too, am looking for the less expensive place in Idaho or Montana. My husband & I are disabled, so we don't have to go to work. The kids are grown or live with x spouse. So schools aren't an issue. Just need a quiet, 3-5 acres for our three horses and two dogs and the two of us. Inexpensive would be the order as we are on a fixed income...
perfer summers to be low 90s or less...

What area of Idaho would this be??? any suggestions would be welcome, please....

Thank You

Dee
Here just about 13 miles outside of Grangeville,ID down along the S.Fork of the Clearwater River is the most perfect place to live. What can I say, while others up on top get wind, snow, freezing temperatures we are able to enjoy ourselves here. We have 5 acres, 2800 sq ft home and a creek flowing year round. Check out: mtimages's photos and albums on webshots
You will find your perfect place. Why I do I want to move? Well my daughter and grandkids live in Helena, Mt and I would like to be closer to them is all.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:49 PM

28 posts, read 143,197 times
Smile Thank you for the info n webcite !

Janab,

I love your posts they are so positive here.
The info you provided I will definitely check out. I tried pulling up some of the pictures.. my dial up is slow tonight, will have to try later when I can get a little faster speed.

The one or two pictures I did pull up looked beautiful, mountains, trees the house down in valley like area.

Thank you again for the info and I hope things go well for you and getting moved to be with your family.

Take Care & God Bless

Dee

Old 02-12-2008, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 129,220 times
I was born and raised in the Coeurd'Alene area. I am now 41 years old. The growth rate up here is very intense. We use to have maybe 30 thousand people in the whole area and now we have about 150,000.
The changes that have taken place over the last few years are also intense. We use to be a town of sawmills and logging, slow paced friendly people. It wasnt expensive to live here and now all the sawmills are gone, it seems like a lot of people now a days are in a hurry, and arent quite so friendly. You say hi or smile at someone and they look at you like "what do you want???"
My husband is a builder and has had several people from California give opinions on how slow and backwards we are. Some people want to change the area that they first thought was attractive and slow paced.
This is why people from Cali get a bad rap. I have friends that are from Cali and they are wonderful people! Another reason why so many Californians are getting such a bad rap is because there are so many moving up here which has drove our house prices up as well as the property taxes and our cost of living is out of control. The average job here pays $7.00-10.00 and hour unless you have college background. So the locals can't afford to really live here anymore.
I personally think it is pretty ignorant for us locals to treat any person with disrespect but I also think it is rude for any person no matter where they are from to move in a new area and treat the locals like second rate citizens and cut down their "HOME". I feel we all have the right to move where we choose and that we all need to have respect for each other and the area we live. I know growth is happening all over and so we just need to mellow out and enjoy our lives as it is so short.
To answer the question of the lady that's looking at moving here.............In my opinion, the weather here is a pain. We got over 8 feet of snow where we live in Rathdrum. It is usually dreary, dark and cold from the end of October through April.
We only get an average of 174 days of sun a year. I personally hate the winters here as you dont get warm weather until around the middle of May and then it starts getting rainy and cold in October. So we have a very short season of warm weather. Summers are great. The traffic is getting kind of bad at least in my opinion.........cost of living is higher than the national average. But all in all it is still a beautiful place to live.
My husband and I are actually looking for a place to live in the winter months as I just can't take the winters here anymore. Has anyone lived in Tennessee or the western part of North Carolina???? And what did you think of it as far as climate, bugs, humidity???

Old 02-12-2008, 06:17 PM

537 posts, read 1,322,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokun4 View Post
I was born and raised in the Coeurd'Alene area. I am now 41 years old. The growth rate up here is very intense. We use to have maybe 30 thousand people in the whole area and now we have about 150,000.
The changes that have taken place over the last few years are also intense. We use to be a town of sawmills and logging, slow paced friendly people. It wasnt expensive to live here and now all the sawmills are gone, it seems like a lot of people now a days are in a hurry, and arent quite so friendly. You say hi or smile at someone and they look at you like "what do you want???"
My husband is a builder and has had several people from California give opinions on how slow and backwards we are. Some people want to change the area that they first thought was attractive and slow paced.
This is why people from Cali get a bad rap. I have friends that are from Cali and they are wonderful people! Another reason why so many Californians are getting such a bad rap is because there are so many moving up here which has drove our house prices up as well as the property taxes and our cost of living is out of control. The average job here pays $7.00-10.00 and hour unless you have college background. So the locals can't afford to really live here anymore.
I personally think it is pretty ignorant for us locals to treat any person with disrespect but I also think it is rude for any person no matter where they are from to move in a new area and treat the locals like second rate citizens and cut down their "HOME". I feel we all have the right to move where we choose and that we all need to have respect for each other and the area we live. I know growth is happening all over and so we just need to mellow out and enjoy our lives as it is so short.
To answer the question of the lady that's looking at moving here.............In my opinion, the weather here is a pain. We got over 8 feet of snow where we live in Rathdrum. It is usually dreary, dark and cold from the end of October through April.
We only get an average of 174 days of sun a year. I personally hate the winters here as you dont get warm weather until around the middle of May and then it starts getting rainy and cold in October. So we have a very short season of warm weather. Summers are great. The traffic is getting kind of bad at least in my opinion.........cost of living is higher than the national average. But all in all it is still a beautiful place to live.
My husband and I are actually looking for a place to live in the winter months as I just can't take the winters here anymore. Has anyone lived in Tennessee or the western part of North Carolina???? And what did you think of it as far as climate, bugs, humidity???
Yep, totally agree.
Go check out the Tennessee and North Carolina threads, I have visited both and they are lovely.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:14 PM

6 posts, read 42,738 times
Talking Idaho Falls!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsocal View Post
I have been reading some of the threads; and I'm a litte afraid!
I'm a 10th generation native Californian, just married in my mid twenties and can't afford to live in California anymore. Literally can't afford it. It's very upsetting to be forced out of one's home state.

That being said, I'm looking into Idaho, and am well aware of the stigma attached to Californians over in Idaho. I do understand, becuase the more people that come into a place tend to screw everything up and people don't like that. (I live in CA, so I know) But people have to be able to try to make the best life they can for their family. Everyone is really trying to do the same thing in the world... with afew exceptions.... of course. Everyone has to have a place to live and that's just the way it is.

I've been looking into Idaho for a couple years now, and I need some opinions as to where the best job market is for 2 professionals in their mid twenties. I'm a Paralegal, and my husband is a Journeyman Plumber....
I read a bunch of conflicting info about the job market in Coeur d'Alene, Moscow and Boise. I don't want to be completely disillusioned, if someone would tell me how it is there, really is, how hard it is to find a job, etc.. I would greatly appreciate it! It's hard to be an outsider looking in .... especially when anything looks better than California.

Thank you so much for your time everyone- and have a nice day!

I've lived in Idaho Falls all my life save 4 years at college in Moscow. That makes about 30 years now! That being said, Idaho Falls gets my vote for both jobs and raising a family. I have 2 kids and totally plan on keeping them here until they're raised!

As for moving to Idaho from Cali, sorry to hear about the cost of living over there... I know it's horrible. I don't know how they expect people to make it anymore. Idaho does pale in comparison to California as far as the home prices are concerned so that may be a plus for you to think about. I agree with one of the other posters though, you ought to take a good vacation over here and just spend some time in a few different spots of the state. I'll bet you like IF though, most people do. Keep in mind, too, that the Idaho National Engineering Site is just outside of Idaho Falls and employs several tradesman. You ought to check out The Idaho National Laboratory and see if there's any good jobs posted. Perhaps you're husband works local for a while until he could get on with them making the big money? Just a thought...

One last thing to think about... How much would it cost you to make the move? Do you own or rent over there where you are currently?

Old 02-14-2008, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 29,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsocal View Post
I have been reading some of the threads; and I'm a litte afraid!
I'm a 10th generation native Californian, just married in my mid twenties and can't afford to live in California anymore. Literally can't afford it. It's very upsetting to be forced out of one's home state.

That being said, I'm looking into Idaho, and am well aware of the stigma attached to Californians over in Idaho. I do understand, becuase the more people that come into a place tend to screw everything up and people don't like that. (I live in CA, so I know) But people have to be able to try to make the best life they can for their family. Everyone is really trying to do the same thing in the world... with afew exceptions.... of course. Everyone has to have a place to live and that's just the way it is.

I've been looking into Idaho for a couple years now, and I need some opinions as to where the best job market is for 2 professionals in their mid twenties. I'm a Paralegal, and my husband is a Journeyman Plumber....
I read a bunch of conflicting info about the job market in Coeur d'Alene, Moscow and Boise. I don't want to be completely disillusioned, if someone would tell me how it is there, really is, how hard it is to find a job, etc.. I would greatly appreciate it! It's hard to be an outsider looking in .... especially when anything looks better than California.

Thank you so much for your time everyone- and have a nice day!
hi there i am from boise id, and have lkived about everywhere else you can think of but cali, i would like to go there but know that it is very expensive like you say well i will tell you that the best place is probably boise, its the largest and it is alright and there are plenty of jobs there, i only dont really like it because of my husbands race we are multi cultured and people there are not that cool if you feel me, but it is apretty good place to live and it is ver y affordable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho