Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 09:41 AM

271 posts, read 390,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
It all depends on your perspective and understanding of the state's political and cultural history and context. Things are always changing.
What is your opinion then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 09:53 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple1975 View Post
What is your opinion then?
Well, I partly stated in in the post above yours.

I do think that areas of the state are getting both more Republican and more radicalized/partisan. I don't even think it's getting necessarily more fiscally conservative, but definitely more socially conservative. Definitely more of a dislike of federal government, definitely more that seek to get away from the rest of the world. But I stress that those attitudes are only found in some parts of the state. You certainly don't see it as much in Southern Idaho, especially Boise, but not in Blaine County, Twin Falls County, and I would argue that you don't even see it as much in eastern Idaho.

But for many reasons, some of them very complicated, the attitudes are dominated by certain groups and factions within the legislature. About 5 years ago some of the freshmen came in and kind of walked all over the order and establishment in the legislature... which was very controversial at the time but in retrospect was a pretty bold move, to their credit. But right now you see some of the more extreme members dominate the discussions, whereas someone like, say, Bedke or Bell, or Newcomb when he was in there, really got pushed to the margins.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Well, I partly stated in in the post above yours.

I do think that areas of the state are getting both more Republican and more radicalized/partisan. I don't even think it's getting necessarily more fiscally conservative, but definitely more socially conservative. Definitely more of a dislike of federal government, definitely more that seek to get away from the rest of the world. But I stress that those attitudes are only found in some parts of the state. You certainly don't see it as much in Southern Idaho, especially Boise, but not in Blaine County, Twin Falls County, and I would argue that you don't even see it as much in eastern Idaho.

But for many reasons, some of them very complicated, the attitudes are dominated by certain groups and factions within the legislature. About 5 years ago some of the freshmen came in and kind of walked all over the order and establishment in the legislature... which was very controversial at the time but in retrospect was a pretty bold move, to their credit. But right now you see some of the more extreme members dominate the discussions, whereas someone like, say, Bedke or Bell, or Newcomb when he was in there, really got pushed to the margins.
That's about what I thought you'd say and it pretty much confirms my impression. I would be willing to bet the non-liberals on this forum think about the opposite as you with regards to your answer, which pretty much tells me that nothing has changed except for maybe the degree of polarization that is apparent. It is probably less so in Idaho than with the rest of the country as a whole though. Liberals in the political sense are a minority in ID so they probably feel like they have to be louder or more vocal to seem more relevant or equal.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:52 AM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
Quote:
Liberals in the political sense are a minority in ID so they probably feel like they have to be louder or more vocal to seem more relevant or equal.
This goes for both sides depending on the state. Look at comment sections on KTVB or Idaho Statesman regarding Butch Otter. I think moderate Republicans are still scared to vote Democrat and Liberal Idahoans are apathetic. Go to the LA Times and you would think California is some Conservative strong hold. Everyone on there complains about "Liberal California" and blames immigrants for everything. P.S. California just paid off its debt a year earlier than planned. A debt taken on by a Republican. Go figure.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:54 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
I read an article recently, I will try to locate it, about how Otter's approval rating is very low across the state currently. It also mentioned that the reason he won again is that there wasn't a strong enough contender to beat him and also he won because voter turnout was very low.

Something interesting,

How Idaho Became A One Party State | Boise State Public Radio

Old 08-13-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I read an article recently, I will try to locate it, about how Otter's approval rating is very low across the state currently. It also mentioned that the reason he won again is that there wasn't a strong enough contender to beat him and also he won because voter turnout was very low.

Something interesting,

How Idaho Became A One Party State | Boise State Public Radio
Yep, polarization. Same reason conservatives would vote for Jeb Bush over any liberal/Dem candidate and libs would vote for Hillary over any conservative candidate in today's times.

Last edited by Disciple1975; 08-13-2015 at 11:15 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 11:20 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,178 times
Quote:
That's about what I thought you'd say and it pretty much confirms my impression. I would be willing to bet the non-liberals on this forum think about the opposite as you with regards to your answer, which pretty much tells me that nothing has changed except for maybe the degree of polarization that is apparent. It is probably less so in Idaho than with the rest of the country as a whole though. Liberals in the political sense are a minority in ID so they probably feel like they have to be louder or more vocal to seem more relevant or equal.
I'm not trying to suggest that Idaho was ever a Democratic or liberal stronghold, but rather, the local politics was less divisive. Nor was I trying to suggest that people who have political viewpoints that differ from my own don't matter.

What I am saying is that there has been a sea change of political temperament in this state, which might reflect the nation at large, I really don't know, but it is increasingly being shaped by newcomers. People who were fed up with their old states and have come to Idaho thinking it is some sort of haven for certain views or politics. And that the perception of Idaho now doesn't reflect what Idaho has been historically: it is very much a relatively new thing. Do you realize that there's a pretty substantial division even within the ranks of Idaho republicans that is becoming increasingly contentious? If you follow the primaries you'll see this playing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho