Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:56 PM

940 posts, read 1,903,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I know you are talking about metros. That is why I said they are a collection of cities.

also Metros get redefined all the time. You don't know if they are going to be trimmed or expanded. last time they added FW to Dallas but took away some smaller areas. Who knows what they will do the next time?

Last time Houston's MSA was just Houston, Sugarland and Montgomery county. The Pearland, galveston etc areas were added in 2003.
So if Galveston, 50 miles away was added, can someone tell me why the SF Bay area metro does not include San Jose, 40 miles from SF? I think as such, they would be 7.5 million, with cities completely solid all around the bay and over the hills east to the valley and San Ramon where there are other cities also. They do call this a CSA but why isn't Houston-Galveston considered a CSA being further spread?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:12 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,976,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
So if Galveston, 50 miles away was added, can someone tell me why the SF Bay area metro does not include San Jose, 40 miles from SF? I think as such, they would be 7.5 million, with cities completely solid all around the bay and over the hills east to the valley and San Ramon where there are other cities also. They do call this a CSA but why isn't Houston-Galveston considered a CSA being further spread?
simple answer. The counties are joined based on commuting patterns, NOT distance.

The OMB don't go around willy nilly calling things CSA or MSA based on distance.

That link David posted had MSA numbers for all other cities and then had the San Jose CSA. It was flawed info. They din't even do it for DC-BAltimore. the only CSA there was SJ-SF. I could understand if they listed all 10 CSA values, but one CSA and 9 MSA's ??? That is deceptive

Old 11-29-2011, 10:12 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,341,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Question for you guys.

What do you think Houston is going to do when its ETJ Population is bigger than its own?

in 2010 the ETJ was 1.5M, just 600K less than the city itself.
By 2020, Harris county is expected to gain a conservative 650K new people with more than 300K going to the ETJ. Add to that the expected 200K into the ETJ from Fort Bend, Montgomery, Waller, etc would mean that the city would be at about 2.3 and the ETJ at about 2.1M.

Do you guys see city planners getting fancy with the city limits again?
The city website forecasts a slimmer and slimmer growth pattern for the city, but a maintained growth for the county. I dunno if I see Harris county having 7M people with Houston at only 3M. With the 30 or so smaller cities in the metro having combined population of less than 1M people, that would mean the ETJ in Harris alone would be over 3M people.

Can you guys see a Katy, Cypress, Spring, etc having 800,000 to 1M people surround Houston?

Do you think that Houston is already wary of this happening that is why they have not released this area?

Do you think the DFW people will start saying "look who's talking about sister cities." Even though these developed as true suburbs of the city instead of independent cities that had their own downtown before the metro swallowed it?
Interesting. I can see it happening, however I don't know much about Texas or Houston politics and policies.
Katy, Cypress, and Spring don't have established infrastructures and and centers so they will never feel like satellite cities like Denton or whatever else surrounds Dallas.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:51 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,995,478 times
NGL, I had to pull up another window because I said "What the heck is MSA?"

I've seen that here before and honestly didn't know. I'm bad with acronyms

Old 11-29-2011, 11:46 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,965,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Interesting. I can see it happening, however I don't know much about Texas or Houston politics and policies.
Katy, Cypress, and Spring don't have established infrastructures and and centers so they will never feel like satellite cities like Denton or whatever else surrounds Dallas.
Actually, no, Katy does. It was its own city off by itself before Houston sprawled that way. Katy would be a big city if Houston released the ETJ. The Houston area had many cities and towns, but they were just swallowed whole. DFW towns annexed and surrounded Dallas before Dallas could annex much. Houston has many suburbs that are their own cities just like the DFW suburbs. Just most of them aren't as big, though a few (Pearland, Sugar Land, Missouri City, League City), have the potential to be pretty big.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Actually, no, Katy does. It was its own city off by itself before Houston sprawled that way. Katy would be a big city if Houston released the ETJ. The Houston area had many cities and towns, but they were just swallowed whole. DFW towns annexed and surrounded Dallas before Dallas could annex much. Houston has many suburbs that are their own cities just like the DFW suburbs. Just most of them aren't as big, though a few (Pearland, Sugar Land, Missouri City, League City), have the potential to be pretty big.
I know about them, you even see some of the older signs. Specifically in west Houston around Briarforest. I know there's a downtown Katy, but I don't think I've ever been. Most of it is just suburban or rural roads.

The larger ones you mentioned have no sense of place. Just feels like suburbia, they will probably never feel like a separate city.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,965,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I know about them, you even see some of the older signs. Specifically in west Houston around Briarforest. I know there's a downtown Katy, but I don't think I've ever been. Most of it is just suburban or rural roads.

The larger ones you mentioned have no sense of place. Just feels like suburbia, they will probably never feel like a separate city.
They feel like separate cities to me. The zoning is what really does it.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,311,830 times
Visit St. Louis and you'll see the difference between MSA and city.

St. Louis city - 300,000
St. Louis MSA - 3 million

There's almost as many people in Corpus Christi as there is in the city of St. Louis.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:30 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,311,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
If it makes you feel better,
there's people asking for San Antonio and Austin to be one MSA (at least 60 miles away)

Old 11-30-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
They feel like separate cities to me. The zoning is what really does it.
All feels like suburbs to me. I barely notice the zoning changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston