Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:24 AM

149 posts, read 232,135 times

Advertisements

I've spoken with a no. of people about Houston some years ago, and they all touted the COL, but said that, for a city it's size, it won't 'bowl you over' with it's entertainment and nightlife. They all did say the city wasn't void of it - a city of that size couldn't be void, obviously - and you can definitely find things to do, but it's more of a 'business city'.

Now, it may still be that way, but this was about four years ago, and was wondering if there has been any noticeable improvement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 09:13 AM

18,128 posts, read 25,275,129 times
For a city this size, the aquarium is an embarrassment.
Even Corpus Christi has a better aquarium (less than half a million people city)

Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
You're going to answer a multifaced question with an answer about the aquarium?

Entertainment is not limited to aquariums.

Notice the plural because there are more than one in Houston.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:59 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,853,789 times
I've never had a problem finding something entertaining to do here in Houston. It would be cool if there was a large entertainment district inside the loop that locals and tourists could go to but I doubt that will ever happen. I'm looking forward to what the Super Bowl will bring in the way of entertainment Downtown.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:54 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,917,993 times
If you're bored in Houston, its your own fault.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:58 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,164 times
The problem is that we don't have enough entertainment, it is that is just spread out. Thankfully it is slowly getting concentrated.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:05 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayDoIGo View Post
I've spoken with a no. of people about Houston some years ago, and they all touted the COL, but said that, for a city it's size, it won't 'bowl you over' with it's entertainment and nightlife. They all did say the city wasn't void of it - a city of that size couldn't be void, obviously - and you can definitely find things to do, but it's more of a 'business city'.

Now, it may still be that way, but this was about four years ago, and was wondering if there has been any noticeable improvement?
Well, honestly it depends on what you like to do. We have professional football, baseball and basketball as well as PGA golf. We have one of the largest concentrated theatre districts (2nd to NY) in the country. We have one of the largest parks in the entire country located within a city. The NY Times says we have the 2nd best food scene (to NY) in the country. And honestly man, if getting sloshed in bars is your thing, there are more then enough. I'm not sure what else we can possibly have. I mean shopping is a given (Galleria largest mall in TX and 4th largest in the country). There are plenty of cinemaplexes if a night out at the movies is your thing. Our Museum district is pretty impressive.

Like others have said, it's all spread out. I think that might be a good thing. The problem with concentrated areas of bars is one, you run into the same people over and over again which I guess can be good or bad. And the other problem is areas tend to morph into each other. So you could have 30 different bars all on one street or in one concentrated area but it will basically be one bar. Because the vibe and the people will come together as one sort of. I'm from Chicago and anyone that has ever lived there and hung out in Wrigleyville will know exactly what I mean. Then you have the nightmare traffic that comes from highly concentrated areas of entertainment. Houston's traffic is already a nightmare and that is with everything so spread out. If you can't keep yourself busy here, I'm not sure what to say. I'll probably never experience more then 5% of it.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:17 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
For a city this size, the aquarium is an embarrassment.
Even Corpus Christi has a better aquarium (less than half a million people city)

what aquarium are you talking about ?

surely you're not talking about the restaurant downtown ?

Old 05-26-2013, 03:20 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
It's about right for a city of its size, however, given the immense wealth and growth of Houston, along with it's popularity; the entertainment can be lacking at times.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:42 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You're going to answer a multifaced question with an answer about the aquarium?

Entertainment is not limited to aquariums.

Notice the plural because there are more than one in Houston.
I know right, the hell. Funny too cuz friday night it was an event at the Aquarium where alot of ppl were out having a good time dancing and eating and poppin fireworks at Market Square while another live band was performing there. Entertainment options in the city are getting better and more concentrated with the population boom. Most ppl who don't see this are boring ppl stuck in their subdivision on the outerskirts of Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston