Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 07:15 PM

72 posts, read 27,848 times

Advertisements

I bought these Whirlpool washer/dryers from Home Depot in 2008, turn-knob style and they have been working flawlessly since then for the last 16 years. Have only done yearly house dryer vent cleanings.

Recently, when starting a new load in the washer, I PULL the knob to start the machine and the water takes almost 45-60 seconds to start flowing and the water sputters sometimes. Once it starts, the flow is regular/normal. It does this no matter the water temperature knob setting. The water pressure seems fine in the rest of the house. Once the water starts filling the machine, the rest of the cycle works flawlessly. When doing a 2nd load of laundry right after, the water starts to fill quickly like before.

Any ideas on why the water takes almost 60 seconds to start flowing when I pull the start knob? It’s a noticeable change, it used to start right away. Water, pressure, valve, some circuit board issue?

Trying to keep these machines going because the minimal use of electronics in these!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Do a search on Youtube.

I remember finding a British tech there who specialized on keeping old Whirlpool machines going. When I looked I was trying to fix an old gas dryer and his technique worked. I bought a part on-line for $10 and was soon back in business.

I'll bet the repair services hate him.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:35 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Sounds like the inlet valve(s) maybe going…
Depending on your water quality, they can get contaminated/fouled and stop working (hopefully in the “off position”).

They’ll look something like this-
https://www.google.com/search?q=W110...obile&ie=UTF-8

Old 04-22-2024, 07:29 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Sounds like the inlet valve(s) maybe going…
That would be my guess.

The appliance parts websites often have suggestions for trouble-shooting. Give one a try.

This is likely to be an easily fixable problem.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:46 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I would do the obvious easy stuff first. You make no mention of the hoses leading to the washer. Both are past due for replacement. First, locate the MAIN water shutoff in case you get into trouble. Then cut off the water at the pipes leading to the washer. While the water is turned off and the hoses removed, look for little inlet screen filters on the washer itself and remove and clean those. Before attaching the new replacement hoses, use a bucket and let the water run full force into the bucket for fifteen seconds through the new hoses. You might find debris. If you find parts of a rubber washer, you can guess what else needs repairs (and be thankful you know where the main shutoff is).

Old 04-22-2024, 09:08 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Why are you assuming that the water hoses are "past due for replacement"?
Just because of the age, or because they possibly cause OPs problem?

Old 04-23-2024, 09:50 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Why are you assuming that the water hoses are "past due for replacement"?
Just because of the age, or because they possibly cause OPs problem?
Simply put, the hoses going to washing machines commonly age poorly. The hot water hose in particular gets exposed to higher temperatures and the elasticity of the rubber or other material gets lost over time. In an extreme case, a hose will crack and leak water for hours before the leak is discovered. In the case of a hose that has a metal sheath, the waterproof material is thinner. The means it could slough off in tiny flakes and clog the inlet screen.

Hoses that are never touched may last well beyond the suggested 10 year lifespan. Once you start messing with them, as is going to have to be the case here to do any diagnostics, you can start an active crack in the hose material without noticing it. If you are lucky, it leaks immediately and you see it. If you aren't so lucky, it lies in wait until you go on vacation, playing the "Jaws" theme.

The metal fabric sheathed hoses can still leak. That strong metal fabric hopefully keeps a tiny leak from becoming a catastrophic gusher.

Old 04-23-2024, 05:07 PM

2,047 posts, read 1,661,124 times
My vote is for failing water valves being the issue. Depending on when the hoses were last replaced, it might be a good idea to replace those too.

Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
My vote is for failing water valves being the issue. Depending on when the hoses were last replaced, it might be a good idea to replace those too.
If you're talking about the valves at the wall, those won't cause a DELAY in the flow of water; they might cause a slow flow rate which isn't what OP's complaining about. I'd bet on the water inlet valve IN the washing machine, which is a solenoid valve, and which could certainly be slow to act due to mineral deposits in the mechanism, or a degraded seal that's shedding bits of rubber and jamming it.

Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

2,047 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
If you're talking about the valves at the wall, those won't cause a DELAY in the flow of water; they might cause a slow flow rate which isn't what OP's complaining about. I'd bet on the water inlet valve IN the washing machine, which is a solenoid valve, and which could certainly be slow to act due to mineral deposits in the mechanism, or a degraded seal that's shedding bits of rubber and jamming it.

Agree. I was talking about the water valves inside the washing machine. I had a similar problem and replaced the valves and all was good. We are on well water so mineral deposits are a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House