Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:25 PM

49 posts, read 146,635 times

Advertisements

Quick question for anyone that knows a little about front load washer/dryers. I'm thinking of purchasing and want to know if its true that most work best on concrete floors?
I'm in a quartermaine and my laundry room(closet) is located on the second floor (wood).
Am I going to have issues with these pricey appliances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 10:19 PM

10 posts, read 28,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey123 View Post
Quick question for anyone that knows a little about front load washer/dryers. I'm thinking of purchasing and want to know if its true that most work best on concrete floors?
I'm in a quartermaine and my laundry room(closet) is located on the second floor (wood).
Am I going to have issues with these pricey appliances?

I know nothing about that aspect, but my Mom talked me out of getting those because 1.) Clothes come out more wrinkled and 2.) You can not add something in once the wash has started (and don't you always forget something?!) 3.) If you don't want to bend down to load and unload you have to buy these pedestals that are $200 each. Apparently Consumer Reports said the enegy savings really wasn't worth the extra money you spend on them.

DISCLAIMER: This is what my Mom heard from friends who have those so you may want to do a little more scientific research!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:49 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,913,128 times
you can add clothes to my washer... frigidaire. there is a pause button.

Not sure about clothes more wrinkled. I think it depends on how many clothes you pack into the washer. I do notice my jeans being more wrinkled.. you know those deep wrinkles that you MUST iron out???

I hate to iron!

What I do like is you can wash pillows, comforters etc in the washer because there is no agitator.

I think my clothes come out pretty clean.

not sure how much money is saved in energy... need Poindexter to calculate the cost.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMGNY View Post
I know nothing about that aspect, but my Mom talked me out of getting those because 1.) Clothes come out more wrinkled and 2.) You can not add something in once the wash has started (and don't you always forget something?!) 3.) If you don't want to bend down to load and unload you have to buy these pedestals that are $200 each. Apparently Consumer Reports said the enegy savings really wasn't worth the extra money you spend on them.
Sometimes jeans come out wrinkled, but then all the wrinkles are gone after they come out of the dryer.

My washer has a Pause button. I can add more stuff.

Those pedestals are *great* for storage. And before, I always had to bend down to retrieve stuff out of my old dryer. Not anymore.

My clothes are definitely cleaner--I think the Bosch rinses better than my top loader--and this washer/dryer pair is Energy Star compliant.

I don't think front-loaders are for everyone.
You really have to read (and follow!) the directions. But once you understand the proper procedure, everything works great.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:04 AM

22,349 posts, read 29,457,534 times
As soon as my house is done, I'm purchasing the red LG washer/dryer..I LOVE the color!! haha

Old 04-03-2008, 08:30 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times
I have the kenmores and it has a pause at the beginning of the cycle to add things. My dryer has a wrinkle free option that will run a short cycle after the main drying is done to keep the wrinkles from setting in. My dryer also has a touch up cycle that runs for 20 min that I use if I notice any wrinkles as well.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:37 AM

99 posts, read 612,760 times
We purchased a Kenmore front loading washer/dryer pair in January after our dryer died. Our laundry room floor is vinyl with a wood sub-floor.

We've been very happy with them. The washer gets a bit loud during the spin cycle, but as long as the laundry room door is closed, it isn't a problem at all. Items can be added to to the wash cycle for the first few minutes by pushing a button to unlock the door.

Clothes coming out of the washer aren't nearly as wet as with our previous top loader, which reduces the drying time significantly. It was common with our old dryer to run two cycles to dry heavy items while the new one dries pretty much everything in one 40 minute cycle.

There is a bit more day-to-day maintenance on the washer than with a top loader. You'll need to use special HE detergent and dry out the inside of the door seal (takes 15 seconds) after each load. You are also supposed to run a special bleach load every month or two and leave the washer door ajar when not in use which allows the inside to dry out.

It's hard to break out the benefit of the new washer and dryer versus other energy saving changes, but our electric usage for the first three months of 2008 is down 18% compared to the same period in 2007.

Based on 3 months experience, I would definitely get the front loading washer again.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,506,901 times
You definitely save not only money with front-loaders but perhaps more importantly, energy. If you're concerned about the environment, it's a great choice. My front load dryer (Kenmore) dries clothes very quickly (is done before the washer) so less electricity used. Also the front-load washer uses WAY less water than a top-loader. WAY less, so you save that important resource as well.

After researching, I based my decision on the electricity and water savings. My clothes come out very clean, I can add things with "pause", I have the anti-wrinkle feature so they don't wrinkle. I don't have the pedestals so I do have to bend over, but unless you have some sort of back issue, I don't see why this would be a big deal. I was planning to buy the pedestals, but I don't even notice bending to get stuff in/out so I'm not going to bother.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:24 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
You definitely save not only money with front-loaders but perhaps more importantly, energy. If you're concerned about the environment, it's a great choice. My front load dryer (Kenmore) dries clothes very quickly (is done before the washer) so less electricity used. Also the front-load washer uses WAY less water than a top-loader. WAY less, so you save that important resource as well.

After researching, I based my decision on the electricity and water savings. My clothes come out very clean, I can add things with "pause", I have the anti-wrinkle feature so they don't wrinkle. I don't have the pedestals so I do have to bend over, but unless you have some sort of back issue, I don't see why this would be a big deal. I was planning to buy the pedestals, but I don't even notice bending to get stuff in/out so I'm not going to bother.
We were going to buy the pedastals too, but I figured for 200.00 I could bend over.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:27 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,913,128 times
what about the storage feature.
I didnt' know about this.
I didnt' get cabinets in the laundry room. was going to get a shelf installed. but maybe the pedestals will work for storage and then I can decorate laundry room with framed posters or something.

{shrug}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House