Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 05:47 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

I have been noticing a comeback in wallpaper on accent walls, and some foyers, powder rooms and dining rooms. Some of the patterns are really beautiful, so I’ve been thinking about getting some.

Back in the day, wallpaper was cheap, but now it’s crazy expensive. I’ve been looking around the internet and I haven’t really found anything I like, yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2023, 06:20 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
We built a house in 1997, and I put wallpaper in every room except the living room, the laundry room and up the stairs.

That satisfied my wallpaper itch, although I loved it at the time and had a ball picking it all out.

Old 06-03-2023, 06:41 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have been noticing a comeback in wallpaper on accent walls, and some foyers, powder rooms and dining rooms. Some of the patterns are really beautiful, so I’ve been thinking about getting some.

Back in the day, wallpaper was cheap, but now it’s crazy expensive. I’ve been looking around the internet and I haven’t really found anything I like, yet.
I love wallpaper and I used to wallpaper what ever myself, but I am no longer comfortable up on ladders and arthritis in my hands would make it tough to do on a larger project. I had a toile bathroom that I loved and we had an accent wall with a Chinoiserie pattern but back in those days it was cheap as you said.

Another problem here is that it really is an art and there are not a lot of hangers, here at least.

Old 06-03-2023, 06:46 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
It's not only very expensive to put up these days, it's also expensive to take down. We just got quoted $650 to remove wallpaper from a medium-sized bedroom, and the quoter said that didn't include repairing the walls to be ready for paint, e.g., fixing gouges, etc. to smooth the walls, which might be another $600. Needless to say, we decided to live with the wallpaper for awhile.

Old 06-03-2023, 07:28 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
It's not only very expensive to put up these days, it's also expensive to take down. We just got quoted $650 to remove wallpaper from a medium-sized bedroom, and the quoter said that didn't include repairing the walls to be ready for paint, e.g., fixing gouges, etc. to smooth the walls, which might be another $600. Needless to say, we decided to live with the wallpaper for awhile.
When we lived in our first house, we bought an inexpensive steamer (I think you can rent a commercial one) and stripped all the wallpaper in the house. Then patched and painted or wallpapered ourselves. Saved the cost of paying someone with a little sweat equity. It's not really hard to steam down, just takes some time.

Old 06-03-2023, 09:56 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Forget the cheap and quite ugly wallpapers from the American past. Wallpapers have never gone out of fad, although their styles, prints, colors, and even usage have evolved over the years.

Wallpaper is still and always was used in luxurious homes and hotels around the world.
A high quality wallpaper IS a luxury item compared to a wall paint. It can transform mediocre living rooms and bedrooms into sophisticated settings that ooze regal glamour. Their interesting array of textures and patterns, brings something truly unique to the table.

The wallpaper you see in European stores is beautiful, contemporary or classic, high quality and still very desirable.
Yes, it cost money - the paper and labor - the reasons why it's so hated by many Americans that prefer fast and cheap.
But people with money and taste have no problem with it.
Wallpaper is coming back to America, though.
https://businessofhome.com/articles/...-it-s-for-real

BTW:
A LOT of people wallpaper their homes as DIY project. It's not difficult and there are many YT tutorials. I have done it all by myself few times, when lived overseas.

Hanging wallpaper is a skill that looks more difficult than it really is. You can master the basics with common sense, the right tools, and some practice.
Thanks to new techniques like “paste the wall” wallpaper, this has been made simpler because there's no need to apply the paste to the wallpaper, fold it and let it soak in before hanging it.
Start with easy to match patterns...

Last edited by elnina; 06-03-2023 at 10:06 AM..

Old 06-03-2023, 12:14 PM

I know how to hang it. I covered everything in my houses in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. I feel sorry for the people who bought those houses.

I got my punishment in the house I live in now, because the last owner painted over some.

Anyway, when I find what I like I might take a crack at it again.

Old 06-03-2023, 01:37 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
NOT AT ALL. Paint!

Old 06-03-2023, 05:30 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
NOT AT ALL. Paint!
But painted walls looks cheap, compared. And it's high maintenance. You see all the impurities of your walls too...
In colder climates the papered walls feel warmer too.

Cheap hotels and apartments have always painted walls...

Old 06-03-2023, 05:47 PM

All I know is, on some of the Home Improvement shows, the wallpaper is stunning. So far, I’ve not found anything I want online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating