Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 07:59 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,781,486 times

Advertisements

Well I won't criticize it . . . I think it's lovely. I could see it in my guest bath, probably on an accent wall as that bathroom is on the dark side due to its interior location. If the Bradbury chinoiserie paper that's in there now ever needs to be replaced I'd seriously consider it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2023, 08:12 PM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I wouldn't say that ALL painted walls look cheap. I have matte painted plaster walls, and they look smooth and elegant. Perhaps I might be tempted to wallpaper them if they were cracked or peeling, but the plaster is well finished. I hate to think of the damage that removing wallpaper from those plaster walls would cause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The urge to apply wallpaper hasn't cancelled out the trauma resulting from wallpaper removal. Yet. Not expecting that to occur any time soon !
^^^ Wallpaper evolved. Different times. Different quality and look. Different applying (and removing) techniques. Much easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Part of my problem is that I have a 1989 house. It has no soul….it’s not mid century, it’s not southern, it’s not historic.
How does one choose a wallpaper that isn’t just wrong? Nondescript contemporary, I guess.
You choose wallpaper that match the spirit of your interior, not exterior.

Old 06-04-2023, 08:43 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would love to have this wallpaper on one wall in our bedroom, in black.

https://www.finestwallpaper.com/stor...Wallpaper.html

It does go with a nature theme we have throughout the house.

I think they look sweet and calming. Hubby thinks it will keep him awake at night.
This is rich and whimsical at the same time! I would love it on one wall in a bedroom. It certainly goes with your nature theme.

Old 06-04-2023, 09:10 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
So many critics...
…joining the crowd, huh?

Old 06-05-2023, 05:50 AM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:

I think they look sweet and calming. Hubby thinks it will keep him awake at night.
He could count the animals to fall asleep

Old 06-05-2023, 06:18 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Like Parnassia, I think, I was traumatized removing border wallpaper when we bought this home. What a colossal hassle!!!
Lately, however, I've toyed with the idea of this removable wallpaper I've seen in various places, perhaps just as an accent in certain places.
Anyone have experience with this type of product?

Old 06-05-2023, 07:36 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
…I've toyed with the idea of this removable wallpaper I've seen in various places, perhaps just as an accent in certain places.

I actually have! I did an accent wall for my daughter’s powder room.

So, other than the physical constraints of a powder room, and 9’ ceilings- it’s not like regular wallpaper. I’ve done A LOT of wallpaper over the years- and this removable “paper” IS NOT as forgiving as regular paper. If you don’t get it aligned pretty much straight from the start, it can get stretched and the pattern will not align.

I used a method like you would do with regular contact paper- pull the backing paper as you go, align with edge, and only squeegee/smooth after the starting edge was correct. The more you pull it off the wall after smoothing, the more stretched it becomes. And definitely don’t let adhesive side touch itself- it will stretch for sure trying to get it apart!

The other observation I made- the “paper” (it’s more vinyl than anything) is super thin- make sure the wall is super smooth and clean! Sand it if necessary- make sure there are no goobers/boogers on the surface before applying- they will definitely show thru!

Old 06-05-2023, 08:46 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Like Parnassia, I think, I was traumatized removing border wallpaper when we bought this home. What a colossal hassle!!!
Lately, however, I've toyed with the idea of this removable wallpaper I've seen in various places, perhaps just as an accent in certain places.
I have not used it, and I wouldn’t. I’m very comfortable with pre pasted, since that is what I’ve always used. They advertise it as being dry strippable now, so hopefully that is true.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:08 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
He could count the animals to fall asleep

That's what I think too! Like a little wild things slumber party!

Old 06-05-2023, 01:18 PM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Wallpaper evolved. Different times. Different quality and look. Different applying (and removing) techniques. Much easier!

You choose wallpaper that match the spirit of your interior, not exterior.
Well, on that note, paints have evolved as well. Many of the newer paints provide very rich and velvety textures to wall surfaces that look elegant on their own. If one prefers a wallpaper print, that's fine. However, to say that a well-painted wall in a rich calming or jewel tone always looks "cheap' is a very broad brush statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating