Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 03:38 PM

4,682 posts, read 2,825,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This is a mess of horse manure. I'm just freaking tired of it....
Hear, hear.

Anyone want to make some assumptions about this man?

https://texashighways.com/culture/hi...ck-with-honey/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 04:52 PM

4,765 posts, read 4,476,901 times
I can't quite see the color ( is it tan or rose?) so maybe if it's a pink I might wonder. But it looks very nice, and to be honest ( lefthanded complement coming here) it doesn't really work well with the carpet color. At least in the photo - I know photos don't always represent things properly.
so the fact that it doesn't play well with the carpet, would dispel any suggestion that you might be gay.

Old 10-14-2022, 05:55 PM

19,816 posts, read 20,420,519 times
I don't think it looks gay at all, it looks more like the bedroom of a 12-year-old girl.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:22 PM

17,500 posts, read 66,391,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This is a mess of horse manure. I'm just freaking tired of it.

People talk about "toxic masculinity" of the past, and homophobia of the past, and that's all a lot of horse manure as well.

There isn't a damned thing "feminine" about those bedclothes.

All this extra homophobia (having to even ask "is this gay?" is the very definition of being afraid of homosexuality).

I'm 69 years old, and I'm just fracking tired of this crap.

People started examining every little thing for signs of homosexuality in the 80s. Before then. Before then, Batman and Robin were straight, Lone Ranger and Tonto were straight, the Green Hornet and Kato were straight, and Velma was asexual. Two men or two women could be roommates without people suspecting them of sleeping together.

People didn't make assumptions about who you were screwing from the barest of surface observations. Gay men could like plaid. Straight men could like magenta.

This idea that a straight man must wear plaid is fracking horse manure. Magenta is a fine color for a straight man. Hell, not even lavender means a damned thing.

Soft fabrics are fine for straight men. When I was single, I had satin sheets because women like satin sheets.

Satin sheets meant "I'm not cheap" not "I'm not straight."

Don't make such loose presumptions about someone's sexual orientation. Certainly not from something like colors and fabrics.

If it's politically incorrect to presume gender, then it damned well ought to be politically incorrect to presume sexual orientation, particularly from something like the color and texture of bedclothes.

Sheesh. Damn. I'm sick of this crap.

Damn dude, get off your high horse!
It’s a casual discussion- and the “ex” said “gay”. Besides, the OP asked and got answers- whether YOU like them or not!

Old 10-14-2022, 06:35 PM

24,839 posts, read 11,261,857 times
You like it. Your house. Pull the blinds straight:>)

Old 10-14-2022, 07:18 PM

17,500 posts, read 66,391,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
And isn't satin a bit ”sexier” of a fabric than flannel?

Yeah- and that’s the way it comes across. You just want them in bed…

Old 10-14-2022, 07:30 PM

14,688 posts, read 12,357,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
OK, let me ask the ladies this:

When a man and a woman move in together, get married, etc. - the woman often express strong opinions about how they would like to change the interior design and decor of the mans place, if indeed she is the one that moved into his place.

For the women who replied, if a man indeed had plaid, flannel sheets (I'm assuming you were being serious and not at all sarcastic) would you like to keep it that way or would you then want to change his place, (including getting bedding that you like)?

When it comes to interior design and decor, my assumption is to lean towards just a touch on the feminine side, so a woman I get involved won't later insist on changing it. Why not beat them to it? I prefer not to have to have a women come and change my space, I'd rather have something that a woman is more likely to find appealing in the long run. And isn't satin a bit ”sexier” of a fabric than flannel?

What's the point of having a bachelor pad/man cave look to your place, if a girlfriend/wife is just going to push her consultation and make you eventually change it?

I think the point of having a bachelor pad is to show her you are a man with good basic life skills and hygiene, but who still needs her to make the place nice. You know.... you'll need to eventually trade out the hat collection for some nice artwork and the lady's touch.

Satin is probably too sexy. You want your bedroom to look clean and comfortable, not necessarily like you shoot movies in there.

Old 10-14-2022, 07:55 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,256,847 times
For me, the bigger issue is the fuzzy comforter + sateen sheets. The bed not centered on the windows. No headboard. The lack of nightstand on both sides of the bed, lack of curtains/drapes, and the two random acrylic tables off to the side.

But you do you. Not everyone would notice these things. If this is a space that makes you happy, then embrace it, and find someone who enjoys it just as much to share it with.

Old 10-14-2022, 08:13 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,744,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think the point of having a bachelor pad is to show her you are a man with good basic life skills and hygiene, but who still needs her to make the place nice. You know.... you'll need to eventually trade out the hat collection for some nice artwork and the lady's touch.

Satin is probably too sexy. You want your bedroom to look clean and comfortable, not necessarily like you shoot movies in there.
Are we in 1970? This hasn’t even been the case in my generation and I’m in my mid-40s. There wasn’t any expectation that a man needed a woman to make his house nice, or that a woman would move into his place at all. I can’t imagine that is more the case now when more women are going on to higher education and professional degree programs than men.

I don’t think the OP’s look is feminine so much as 1990s Love Hotel or something… if that’s the look he wants, have at it, I guess.

Old 10-14-2022, 08:14 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,905,696 times
I mean...it IS pink.

But who cares? What makes someone gay is sexual and romantic attraction to their own gender, not the color/texture of their duvet. A world where orientation was determined by duvet color would be pretty weird.

I think your ex was winding you up a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating