Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 02:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I will...because I honestly don't believe more than a tiny fraction of women stop dying their hair because of health concerns. They've made a decision based on other reasons and the thought that there's a small chance they could also improve their health is the "cherry on top" and one more argument they can make to convince others.

That's fine, just recognize it for what it is.
'

It was definitely one of the reasons I stopped dying my hair but it wasn't the ONLY reason. There were several reasons for me personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I do not like that short/short hair cut on older women and especially not on myself. I think it makes them look older. I also like my hair long enough to put in a pony or up in a clip when I am out in the summer.

I guess I didn't think of it that way that every older woman has something like a layered bob. I don't blow dry my hair into the bob like I used to....so my is more choppy instead of styled under.
Maybe it makes YOU look older but please don't say that short hair makes "them" (older women in context) look older. Some it does, some it doesn't. Depends on many factors.

Old 12-28-2022, 04:05 PM

9,484 posts, read 5,262,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe it makes YOU look older but please don't say that short hair makes "them" (older women in context) look older. Some it does, some it doesn't. Depends on many factors.
Well, it was just my opinion. I don't know about myself because I don't cut my hair short.

Old 12-28-2022, 04:24 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,219,841 times
Long ago I did a multi year stint with a cosmonautologist GF. She did things to my head which were unspeakable. Age has affect this in that I now have more say in what is done

Old 12-29-2022, 07:34 AM

11,085 posts, read 6,929,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I will...because I honestly don't believe more than a tiny fraction of women stop dying their hair because of health concerns. They've made a decision based on other reasons and the thought that there's a small chance they could also improve their health is the "cherry on top" and one more argument they can make to convince others.

That's fine, just recognize it for what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It was definitely one of the reasons I stopped dying my hair but it wasn't the ONLY reason. There were several reasons for me personally.
Same. Reading about bladder cancer, being snowed in, tired of coloring every 10 days due to roots.

Some women get IC because of hair dye. I think I am one of them, but currently there is no definitive, identified cause of IC.

Old 12-29-2022, 09:37 AM

12,056 posts, read 8,455,279 times
Today I'm getting my rump-length hair cut. Once it gets a certain length it's difficult for me to style. Especially behind my back. I used to could do the braiding in the back and other special styles but now I'm not as flexible and it's easier to get left-right confusion.

I thought it was an interesting coincidence that I turned on the computer this morning and saw this woman with really long hair styling it like a dress.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/...d/AA15JcHV.img

But then I wondered how good of a job she had done in the back. LOL.

Anyway that's a close facsimile to what my hair looks like. But after taking pictures last night I notice fully half of the top length is silver blonde and the rest is golden blonde, so I hope it will be an appealing change.

(I can already feel the cringe for the first sound of the scissors.)

There's a frustrating story with this. I wanted a matching top piece that was a little fuller than my own hair but couldn't find a good match so decided to grow my own hair and have one made. This has been a long-term project. At its conclusion the joke's on me because the hair that's coming off is no longer the color of the hair that is going to be remaining.

I'll donate to Locks of Love, instead, I guess.

Last edited by Lodestar; 12-29-2022 at 09:47 AM..

Old 12-29-2022, 12:48 PM

12,056 posts, read 8,455,279 times
Just got back from my stylist. She answered the door coughing and after fifteen minutes of conversation it was clear she was way too ill to be trying to work. I told her to reschedule and go home to a hot bath and bed. So.

Sometimes life is like that and this month has been more than generous with changes of plans. Drat.

Old 12-29-2022, 04:47 PM

22,000 posts, read 13,038,107 times
Lock of Love doesn't accept hair with grey in it -- or didn't the last time I asked them.

They said they throw away fully 1/3 of their donations because of grey, permanent or semi-permanent color, perming, straightening, damage, etc. They really want young, healthy, "virgin" hair...

Old 12-30-2022, 05:23 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,074,925 times
Yes, no matter where you go, 99% of the older women have short bobs or pixies or lightbulb haircuts, whatever you want to call it. So yes, I feel it does make a woman look older. Short hair accentuates your face and neck. If you don't think it makes YOU look older, great, then wear it with confidence. But the older women I know who have these haircuts all look like cookie cutter old ladies all doing the same thing. Me--I'd rather not follow the crowd. I wear my hair a little past shoulder length. I love the length. I can pull it up in the hot weather or wear it loose. In hot weather, short hair is horrible on me. It frizzes up like Howdy Doody and I look terrible. I've seen pictures of myself with super short hair and YES, I DO look older. The short hair makes my facial wrinkles stand out (and I have very few of these). It also makes my round face look fat.

Old 12-30-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Yes, no matter where you go, 99% of the older women have short bobs or pixies or lightbulb haircuts, whatever you want to call it. So yes, I feel it does make a woman look older. Short hair accentuates your face and neck. If you don't think it makes YOU look older, great, then wear it with confidence. But the older women I know who have these haircuts all look like cookie cutter old ladies all doing the same thing. Me--I'd rather not follow the crowd. I wear my hair a little past shoulder length. I love the length. I can pull it up in the hot weather or wear it loose. In hot weather, short hair is horrible on me. It frizzes up like Howdy Doody and I look terrible. I've seen pictures of myself with super short hair and YES, I DO look older. The short hair makes my facial wrinkles stand out (and I have very few of these). It also makes my round face look fat.

I don't follow the crowd, thank goodness. I have a face and apparently a neck that's well suited for the short style I wear and have worn (in various styles but always short) since I was about 32. My hair is too thick for a short bob or lightbulb haircut or whatever you want to call it (plus I just look awful in any sort of bob). So it's sort of asymmetrical.

Interesting that you think all older women wear their hair short because I think many older women wear their hair a bit longer, which I think often looks terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care