Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 11:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A New Day View Post
I think that any ladies choose shorter hairstyles as they age.because the hair gets thinner.
I think that CAN be the case but not always. For instance, I am 60. I've had short hair, that has to be thinned at least once a month, for over 20 years. It's an all or nothing thing with me - I have to go very long (and controlled), or very short. I chose very short at least 20 years ago and I love it. I became single by the way after I cut my hair and had zero issues with men wanting it to be long. At least they didn't tell me! Maybe they were scared of me, who knows.

Anyway, I eventually got married again and eventually I tried to grow my hair out. I got past shoulder length and then one day I just got sick of it and went and had it all lopped off again. As soon as I did so my husband said "Thank GOODNESS - I feel like I have my wife back!" This from the man who told me I was the first woman with short hair that he'd ever dated!

I have a natural ombre look going on now - it's silvery white on top but dark around the bottom and it fades naturally from light to dark in between. My eyebrows are still dark, as are my eyes, but my skin is very light. I love the contrast personally and besides that, I was having to color my hair every three or four weeks and that was no bueno to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 12:29 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I wish I was talented enough to cut my own hair. Yours would work for me, actually, but I fear looking like a freshly shorn sheep if I were to cut it short. The hairdresser I go to does very good haircuts, technically, but I sometimes wonder if he pays attention to who he is actually cutting. I contemplate switching to someone else but the fear of the unknown sets in and I decide to just work with him. At least he tolerates me in that I, like you, can't handle chemicals so have to wash my hair at home with my safe shampoo and go straight to his salon when no one else is there and not right after he has done some smelly procedure on the previous client.

To hark back to the original topic, when I was working I always had to be cognizant of the appropriate hairstyle for my position and the image I projected when representing the company. Age wasn't the only factor but my hair did need to be age-appropriate and corporate-safe. Glad those days are over!
I'm the first face anybody sees when they walk in the door.

My hair is white and silver, and at it's longest, it's down to the middle of my back. I haven't had a real haircut since COVID hit, and clearly, I"m not in a hurry to do so. I trim my own bangs about every 2 weeks,

My husband thinks my hair is gorgeous (he said so without prompting just last week) and I get compliments fairly often.

I use a morrocan oil product, because my hair can get kind of fly-away, and the product kind of soothes and smoothes...and I have a couple of hair utensils I use to put some curl in it once in awhile...and that's it for me.

Old 11-29-2022, 04:34 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,433,253 times
Bought Wahl clippers at Walmart after I had bought dog clippers there years earlier for our peke. Figured if I could groom the dog I could learn to cut my hair and my husband’s.

Old 11-29-2022, 05:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Bought Wahl clippers at Walmart after I had bought dog clippers there years earlier for our peke. Figured if I could groom the dog I could learn to cut my hair and my husband’s.
I have trimmed the husband for a long time. Rather hair and beard. But have not yet progressed to his cats:>)

Old 11-30-2022, 07:46 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think that CAN be the case but not always. For instance, I am 60. I've had short hair, that has to be thinned at least once a month, for over 20 years. It's an all or nothing thing with me - I have to go very long (and controlled), or very short. I chose very short at least 20 years ago and I love it. I became single by the way after I cut my hair and had zero issues with men wanting it to be long. At least they didn't tell me! Maybe they were scared of me, who knows.

Anyway, I eventually got married again and eventually I tried to grow my hair out. I got past shoulder length and then one day I just got sick of it and went and had it all lopped off again. As soon as I did so my husband said "Thank GOODNESS - I feel like I have my wife back!" This from the man who told me I was the first woman with short hair that he'd ever dated!

I have a natural ombre look going on now - it's silvery white on top but dark around the bottom and it fades naturally from light to dark in between. My eyebrows are still dark, as are my eyes, but my skin is very light. I love the contrast personally and besides that, I was having to color my hair every three or four weeks and that was no bueno to me.
Pfft. This thing with some men insisting on long hair on women is weird, almost fetishistic. I think it is a minority screaming about it on the internet. Lots of women have short hair and guys don't care. It's just hair. I don't care about a guy's hair as long as its clean.

You hair sounds great, and yeah coloring every few weeks can get real old.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Pfft. This thing with some men insisting on long hair on women is weird, almost fetishistic. I think it is a minority screaming about it on the internet. Lots of women have short hair and guys don't care. It's just hair. I don't care about a guy's hair as long as its clean.

You hair sounds great, and yeah coloring every few weeks can get real old.
Thank you so much! I love love love my hair. Never had an issue with it. EXCEPT for when I first cut it all off. It was very long and thick. I just sort of decided suddenly to do it. I was married at the time and I was meeting my stupid (now ex) husband for dinner after my hair stylist cut it all off - and he said, "OH NO, I CANT BELIEVE YOU DID THAT - YOU LOOK LIKE A DAMN BOY!" I was so mad. I didn't think I looked butch or like a boy at all by the way. Anyway, so it was taking forever to order, so I said "You know what - we need a break from each other anyway, so I'm going to go get us two glasses of wine." I walked up to the bar and immediately two guys started hitting on me, buying the drinks and asking me if I wanted to come out to the lake with them the next day! LOL they didn't think I looked like a boy. So I came back to the table and told my husband about it. He was furious but whatever. He had one glass of wine and so did I and then HE GOT PULLED OVER AFTER THE DINNER BY A COP. Remember, we were in separate vehicles. I was following him home so I pulled over immediately too and the cop said "Listen, we're going to let him go, but with you." So not only did he get mad at me for various reasons, he also had to ride home with me! It was so funny!

And that was the only time I've ever gotten a negative response about my hair.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:54 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
My hairdresser and I retired at the same time. And then came the covid shutdown. My hair just kept growing. I wore it up in a bun, but I am old and it got so heavy and would tangle. I have arthritis in my neck and arms. I dreaded washing it. I had a friend make an appointment but the stylist totally ignored me. I asked her to save my tail of long hair and she cut it off about half way down and then started giving me a haircut. I have a big lumpy head with lots of cowlicks which she kept insisting was "natural curl".

I told her I wanted it short but did not want my neck shaved. She shaved my neck even though I asked her to stop.

She wasn't any spring chicken herself but she treated me like I was an elderly idiot. I did manage to get out with my severed tail of hair. I think I even tipped her.

So I ordered a set of clippers and run them over my head every week or two. I love it! My head feels great. Easy to manage and feels so light. I sleep so good without either having hair in my face or matting up in a bun.

I have never worn hats but I bought one when the weather turned. I don't go out in public much. I only have to please myself, but if I did have a public life I would buy a wig.
I've long dreamt of doing something like this but I don't think I have the courage or the will! Glad that you are happy with it! You are not the only woman I've talked to or read about who loves keep their hairs (sic) really, really short and are really glad they did it.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:00 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,310,540 times
Still do sometimes an updo but with the arthritis is a bit less easy than in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c_gHonRtYI

Old 12-03-2022, 08:09 AM

15,629 posts, read 10,382,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post

My hair is white and silver, and at it's longest, it's down to the middle of my back. I haven't had a real haircut since COVID hit, and clearly, I"m not in a hurry to do so. I trim my own bangs about every 2 weeks,

My husband thinks my hair is gorgeous (he said so without prompting just last week) and I get compliments fairly often.

I use a morrocan oil product, because my hair can get kind of fly-away, and the product kind of soothes and smoothes...and I have a couple of hair utensils I use to put some curl in it once in awhile...and that's it for me.
SnazzyB, I loved your post. After I quit having my hair dyed and letting it go natural to silver/white during covid lockdown, I'm letting my hair grow very long for the first time in over 30 years. It was below shoulder length for most of my adult life, but not real long since my early 30s.

My hair is healthier and thus thicker than ever after quitting the dye and hopefully it will grow very long like yours. Also, the gray/silver hair has natural waves that weren't there during the years the hair was dyed which is a real bonus. It will be fun to have long hair again.

One of the many great things about getting old is I don't give a F what society says is appropriate for my age anymore! I please myself.

My husband loves my silver hair, too! So do my kids!

The only issue is a slight yellowing of the white hair. What do you do/use to eliminate this? We have hard water which is said to be a cause of white hair yellowing. I don't use a hair dryer or styling tools and occasionally use a purple shampoo which isn't doing much.

Old 12-03-2022, 09:34 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
I've had completely silver/white hair for 12 years now. A really great hairdresser convinced me to cut the dyed hair off which was looking pretty ridiculous but I was determined to not use any more dye ever, and haven't. It was cut to just below chin length which, as a confirmed long hair, freaked me out but it was a really cute style. I have since let that grow out -too much work with styling tools

In the beginning it was pure silver/white and was gorgeous. In the first 8-10 years people would stop me and exclaim over my hair, but that is less frequent now. Time to do something about the darkening/yellowing. It's not bad, but it's not great either. For the past year I have diligently kept my hair out of sunlight but there is still darkening and yellowing. I'm not certain about the hardness of water in my area, but it is likely since exposure to the sun has been minimal.

That has caused me a lot of chagrin. There are supposedly "natural" ways to brighten yellowed hair. I haven't tried them yet frankly out of fear that i will ruin my hair. We're supposed to be able to use lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, etc. in various concoctions. There are a few recipes on the web and I haven't decided which one to use for my particular hair.

One thing that does not work is purple shampoo. All it does it make your first few inches of hair (the most virgin hair) look purple or blue. It does nothing for the lower strands. At least, that is my experience.

What I've deduced from research is that it is best to use hydrogen peroxide in your shampoo, to lessen damage to the hair shaft. It takes longer to get rid of the yellow but is supposedly less harsh.

PS I DGAF now either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care