Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 06:14 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,433,253 times

Advertisements

I’ve always had fine straight blonde hair. Even as a child braids or a ponytail looked sparse. A short bob haircut looked better….now, at 75, thinning and greying, I keep my hair short, like a pixie but not a really short one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 09:14 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,413 times
There have been numerous threads about age and short vs. long hair and viewpoints are strong both ways. It depends on one's hair, face, lifestyle, and pocketbook. All I can say is that my age doesn't affect how I do my hair. I have longer hair and I'm not going to cut it based on my age. My hair (length, color, etc.) is based on what works for my face, hair type, lifestyle and pocketbook, not on my age.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:30 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I’m old and I’ve had it. Not messing with my hair anymore.

I don’t think I’ve ever been happy with my hair. It is part straight and part wavy, so I’ve spent my whole life either straightening the wavy parts or curling the straight parts. I grow it, then cut, then grow it, then cut it.

Now I’m older, and I’ve had enough. I’m keeping it short, and people have said I look younger. I used to get it highlighted, but lately I’m using DIY color to cover the gray. With short hair it’s within my capability.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
There have been numerous threads about age and short vs. long hair and viewpoints are strong both ways. It depends on one's hair, face, lifestyle, and pocketbook. All I can say is that my age doesn't affect how I do my hair. I have longer hair and I'm not going to cut it based on my age. My hair (length, color, etc.) is based on what works for my face, hair type, lifestyle and pocketbook, not on my age.
Bingo to this.

Old 12-12-2022, 12:36 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
SnazzyB, I loved your post. After I quit having my hair dyed and letting it go natural to silver/white during covid lockdown, I'm letting my hair grow very long for the first time in over 30 years. It was below shoulder length for most of my adult life, but not real long since my early 30s.

My hair is healthier and thus thicker than ever after quitting the dye and hopefully it will grow very long like yours. Also, the gray/silver hair has natural waves that weren't there during the years the hair was dyed which is a real bonus. It will be fun to have long hair again.

One of the many great things about getting old is I don't give a F what society says is appropriate for my age anymore! I please myself.

My husband loves my silver hair, too! So do my kids!

The only issue is a slight yellowing of the white hair. What do you do/use to eliminate this? We have hard water which is said to be a cause of white hair yellowing. I don't use a hair dryer or styling tools and occasionally use a purple shampoo which isn't doing much.
OK, I suppose the ONE thing I do, because of my age and my hair...I DO use purple shampoo once in awhile. It helps, but it doesn't get ALL the yellow out. Oh well.

Another thing you can do...stick to clear products as much as you can. Clear shampoos, clear conditioners, cremes, etc. Our hair lacks pigment now, and will soak up whatever we put on our hair. So if your shampoo isn't clear but whitish, or yellowish, our hair will pick that up.

Old 12-19-2022, 02:09 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Tried to rep you,but could not. My mother had a shoulder length, blunt cut "page boy" hairstyle, for her entire adult life. It moved when the wind blew, yet it was sprayed and teased slightly. Kind of a country club look that was and is, popular among society types.

Since I attended public school, with the exception of three years, the other 60s and 70s mothers tended to wear their hair short and permed, with winged bangs above the eyebrows. Their hair didn't move at the beach, or when the wind blew. They looked more like June Cleaver, or Betty White, and my mother more of a Mary Tyler Moore or Diane Keaton to give examples from the day.

Some of the very best fashion and lifestyle advice I ever received from my mother involved hair. She told me to never have "short hair" unless I wanted it, and that while it could look good on certain women, but cut well, it was just as high maintenance as longer hair is. She added that marriage or turning thirty did not mean a trip to the beautician to chop off one's hair.

On hair color, she never understood women who let their hair go grey - unless their grey hair was a sort of trademark and was silver and flattering. One of my mother's closest friends was a former fashion model and was Miss NYC, in the Miss America Pageant system. She had high cheekbones, vivid blue eyes, and a small straight nose. Her short hair drew attention to her elegant features. Her hair turned grey in her late 20s and it wasn't really grey, it was silver. She always wore dangly earrings and her grew pixie cut became a trademark.

To compare her to another celebrity of the day, she looked nothing like Bea Arthur of television's "Maud".

My mother died when I was only 22. I wish I'd written down more of her "Words of Wisdom", because they have proven, at least to me, to be very true.

I agree with this poster, there are few hard and fast rules. However, there are general guidelines that do tend to apply to more woman than not.

I never cut my hair after I wed (another old adage back then) or turned 30, although I can't count how many of my contemporaries did. I'm in my 60s and my hair is longer that shoulder length. I was born blonde, and I have absolutely no intention to "Grow Out the Grey".

The whole trend among some to "Grow Out the Grey" is purportedly intended to "liberate" women from the so-called "societal pressure" to dye your hair when it begins to turn grey.

Personally, if I am feeling judged at all, it is not to color my hair, it's to "Grow Out The Grey" and to accept myself as I am. I do accept myself and I love my appearance - as a blonde.

It's my opinion that grey hair is almost always aging - with some very few exceptions. Looking older than I need to look is NOT "liberating" in any way to me.

If OTHER women enjoy that look, go for it! I won't stop you! However, it's not my choice. And it never will be.

I just wish these women, who are very fanatical in their beliefs, would leave those of us who choose to color our hair - ALONE! Some of them on Facebook have become so annoying and persistent with me and with other friends, that I have unfriended them.

One even took the liberty of showing three other friends and me how we would look with grey hair using as ap! She was raving about how "distinguished" we all looked. "Distinguished", when used to describe appearance, is seldom used to describe women.

My hair color and style are NOT "political statements". They are personal choices that I make to enhance my natural physical attributes. And, they are NOT up for debate!

Old 12-19-2022, 07:03 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
When I was at our 45th class reunion last year, several friends talked with me about how beautiful my grey hair was and how afraid they were to let theirs go natural. Most of them have now quit coloring their hair and they look just as beautiful as they did before.

It's such an individual choice and I don't know why anyone would feel pressured one way or the other, by anyone. I grew up during a time of hippies, all natural, free spirit thinking. I think we were a generation against conformity.

I know when I decided to quit coloring my hair 15 years ago, I didn't know how it would turn out, but I did have a specific look in mind. My best friend's mom never colored her hair and she was always very active with a healthy tan that looked so pretty with her grey hair. So that's me, healthy, active hippy fun grandma with shoulder length grey hair.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:07 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
I used to belong to a Facebook group that was all about gray, whit and silver hair. Women would post pictures of themselves in their various stages of letting their hair grow out. A lot of women looked stunning and it was kind of inspirational.

But there WAS a certain degree of "we're better than those who color" about the whole thing and I unjoined the group. It was kind of ridiculous. We fight for our rights on some level or other every day, but we're going to pick on women who color their hair.

Back when I WAS still coloring, a friend from high school told me I should embrace my inner crone. Ummm...no! LOL

Old 12-19-2022, 09:49 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
That's really too bad (the scorn about those who color). I never knew of such a group - I could have benefited. It was a really tough 2 years letting the grey grow out. I got a lot of various kinds of looks, including disdain. This was in the era before a colorist could actually do grey. I once offered a colorist $300 if she would do my hair grey. She said, I can't, I just can't. It isn't possible! There's been a lot of advancement in hair color since then I guess (approx. 2005).

Sometimes I wish I could still color my hair when I see a color on a woman that I really like. Then I remember things. I'm actually more than OK with the gray.

I have friends who've let their grey grow out and they didn't like the way it looked so they started coloring again. Those were women with still a lot of pigment in the hair.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
I have hair that is naturally dark around the edges and underneath so to speak but gray and blonde and silver on top and around my face. I love it. Never going to start coloring it again. It's also very short and I love that look on me too. But that's just me. I get it cut once every five weeks and I also have to get it thinned. Otherwise, it's a breeze to keep - takes me literally about 30 seconds a day to style it and I wash it about once every five days - then it takes me fifteen minutes - LOL. So it's here to stay, folks. I figure that 2 hours a month max is time and money well spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care