Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 04:25 PM

17,234 posts, read 57,219,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Wow really? I've not shot competitively with high power rifles but I am totally confident out to 400-450 given the right weather.
Yeah, but you are the exception, not the rule. You have experience shooting at range. The OP is actually "forbidden" to go target shooting by Daddy and Mommy.

OP, your parents are, if you have accurately described them, a serious impediment to your development as a shooter and as a man really. What to do about that would be a different thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 05:13 PM

19,890 posts, read 22,814,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Yeah, but you are the exception, not the rule. You have experience shooting at range. The OP is actually "forbidden" to go target shooting by Daddy and Mommy.

OP, your parents are, if you have accurately described them, a serious impediment to your development as a shooter and as a man really. What to do about that would be a different thread.
I was quoting the guy that was a long range competitive shooter.

Old 05-11-2024, 05:15 AM

779 posts, read 430,182 times
Quote:

Ya my dad forbids me from buying ammo at the sporting goods store and from ordering ammo online.Not much I can do about it though.I talked to my mom about letting me buy antique gun and she wont even let me buy antique guns like a antique .308.

Old 05-14-2024, 08:23 PM

3,270 posts, read 5,651,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
Ya my dad forbids me from buying ammo at the sporting goods store and from ordering ammo online.Not much I can do about it though.I talked to my mom about letting me buy antique gun and she wont even let me buy antique guns like a antique .308.
I have to ask . . . How old are you? How mature are you? Do you trust your parents to guide you in your young life?

Old 05-15-2024, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I have to ask . . . How old are you? How mature are you? Do you trust your parents to guide you in your young life?
I just think I should be able to make my own decisions in my life for the most part.I am not going to post my age here because of privacy concerns.

Old 05-17-2024, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Wait, weren’t you all spun up about a .300 Win Mag? To the point of not even considering anything else? What changed? Why are you deciding on a .308, instead of any of the myriad other cartridges? Deer and hogs at 100-300 yards could be very properly addressed with a host of other cartridges. And “cheap†Fmj ammo? The cheapest .308 on Ammoseek is $.72/round. Is that cheap?

Anyway, a .308 chambered rifle can shoot 7.62, but it would be advisable to not do that extensively. .308 is a higher pressure round, and should not be used in 7.62 chambered rifles. The manufacturer doesn’t matter when it comes to this compatibility. Winchester, Remington, Tikka, etc., if the rifle is chambered in .308, you can use 7.62 ammo.

Your description of a bolt action .308, with either a walnut or synthetic stock, makes lots of options available. Any other important criteria? Do you want iron sights on the gun? Detachable magazine? Threaded muzzle? How important are aftermarket parts and accessories?
What other cartridges would you suggest TaxPhd?Maybe I should get a Remington Model 700 Tactical in 7.62 NATO if I want a gun that can shoot lots of 7.62 NATO just fine.

Last edited by NewMexicoCowboy; 05-17-2024 at 06:27 AM..

Old 05-17-2024, 06:02 AM

I would like the gun to have a 4 to 5 round capacity.I dont need a detachable box magazine but I would be open to one that had one.I think it would be nice if my gun held 5 rounds.

Old 05-17-2024, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
I'd get a Ruger or something like it. Winchester is too high. Ruger is positive feed. I hate having to depend on a gun where the ammo is sloshing around in the receiver before it is driven home.
How expensive are Ruger .308s?I have a Ruger .243 but I have never really liked the gun all that much although it has served me well....I just wish it was a nicer rifle like a Winchester Model 70 or Remington Model 700.I guess I could rebarrel my .243 to .308 if I wanted to but that option doesnt appeal to me.I have never been much of a fan of Ruger.I hunt deer with a Ruger currently.

Old 05-17-2024, 06:24 AM

Quote:
You need to move out of your parent's house worse than you need another gun.

And once you are on your own, go out of your way to buy the guns "daddy" said you shouldn't have!
Like maybe I can get the .30-06 when I move out because my dad has always hated .30-06 for whatever reason.Its funny because he doesnt even know why he doesnt like .30-06 or .270 really.

Old 05-17-2024, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
What bullet do you intend to use?

Edit- let me rephrase. It's going to depend on what shoots well in your rifle, and which bullet you wind up using. For example- the rule of thumb that I would use is at least 1800fps impact velocity with at least 1200ft lbs energy for large game. Give those parameters factory ammo will yield different max ranges. Sticking with a 180-ish class bullet weight as a minimum, A factory Federal round (blue box- 180 gr) gives you about 350-400yard MAX, wheras a Federal Terminal Ascent 175gr gives you about 450-500yds MAX.

My PERSONAL comfort zone using a 7mm bullet in either 7mm-mag or .280AI with a 155-160weight bullet is 400-450yds. I know I can consistently and repeatedly hit an 8" piece of steel at 400yds in all weather and wind conditions. So I set my personal max distance at 400-450yds. Does that mean I can't hit at 500yds? No, I can and do it regularly, but not 100%.
What bullets and grain weights would you recommend in .308 for elk and eland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting