Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Bible talk

Group Created by Hoosier

This group is for Christian believers to discuss the Bible, theology and how it impacts our lives in the 21st century

View All Members Showing 10 of 693 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 18 Picture(s)
howest2008 thoroughly enjoying himself at Pismo Beach California
From Howest2008
Taken January 2015
From Toolyps
Walker Green 007
From Fortoggie
Tulsa Downtown Historic Church
From Howest2008
images 23
From shecat
Showing Social Group Messages 1501 to 1510 of 2136
  1. swbtoo
    10-28-2010 07:44 AM - permalink
    swbtoo
    Denominational differences arose because some were following this teacher, some that teacher. Even in the early church. Those differences are good when they draw a separation from false teaching and the true Gospel. Paul said how to tell if anyone is preaching a "different" Gospel. There was as lot of that going on, and there still is, and it's important to be separate (apart) from those who add on to or change God's message. Denomination will not ensure salvation. That is the work of God within each individual heart. The Church does not save. Christ does. Perhaps I misunderstand, but your post places a great deal of emphasis on works rather than salvation through faith alone. If I read that correctly, then you also are preaching a different Gospel than what Christ preached. Works are the fruit of our faith, and He said we would know those who are His by their fruit. Our actions, deeds, work is the result of faith, and what we do will never save us without the faith. All we need is faith. Period.

If you add anything else to that, you are saying His sacrificial death on the cross was insufficient to save us and that is not true. He (Christ) did it all!
    We can't add to it or take away from it.
  2. Robert M Prince
    10-21-2010 09:12 AM - permalink
    Robert M Prince
    A message to introduce myself:
    ARE DENOMINATIONS IN KEEPING WITH GOD’S WILL?
    Many people in our day are convinced that, “If you believe that Jesus is the Son of God and accept Him as your personal Savior, you are saved, and that there is nothing you can do to cause you to lose that salvation.”
    But our Savior Himself made high expectations of those who would be His true followers. In the 14th chapter of John, He said, “If ye love me, keep my commandments,” also “Whosoever forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple,” Luke 14:33. In Acts chapter 5, St. Peter said that God gives the Holy Ghost to “them that OBEY Him.” So we must repent and have a mind to obey Christ if we are to receive His Holy Spirit, and I believe that Spirit gives us the power to resist committing willful sins. We know that we are prone to make mistakes every day, but that, “If we confess our sins , he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness,” I John 1:10.
    St. Paul wrote to the Corinthians “That ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment,” I Cor 1:10. Now we know that Jesus told His Apostles, “He that heareth you heareth me, and he that despiseth you despiseth me; and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me” Luke 10:16. He also said, “He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me, and he that receiveth me, receiveth him that sent me,” John 13:20. Also we know that Jesus personally struck Paul down on the road to Damascus and that St. Paul declared his credentials in several of his epistles that he was called of Christ Jesus to be an Apostle.
    Jesus also prayed to his Father in John 17:11, that his followers should be one as He and the Father were one.
    So if we are to be obedient to Christ and also to take heed to all the admonitions of His Apostles, it seems like an impossible task. But if we truly have the Holy Spirit, then He does the work in us, and we have nothing of which we can boast. According to Jesus, ”When ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do,” Luke 17:10.
    Does it make any sense that denominational differences are looked upon as being perfectly normal in our day, with people generally believing that almost all ‘conventional denominations” are branches of the Christian church and that all who have accepted Jesus Christ as their “personal” Savior are assured of going to heaven when they die.
    Do we really believe that our all-wise, all-powerful Father in heaven looks down on this earth and approves of all those who claim to have been called of Him to preach the Gospel, even though they are often preaching things that are exactly opposite of what others are preaching.
    I personally believe that Jesus gave the perfect formula for solving this gross confusion when he said in John 7:17 that, “If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.” I believe that if we have truly repented and pray earnestly for Christ and His Father to show us any area of our life where we are not doing His will, they will show this to us and give us the Holy Spirit. That Spirit will make it possible for us to be obedient to them, which is impossible for us to do if we have a carnal mind. “Because the carnal mind is enmity against God for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his” Romans 8:7-9.
    Jonathan Edwards wrote in 1851, “I am come now to the last distinguishing mark of holy affections that I shall mention: XII. Gracious and holy affections have their exercise and fruit in Christian practice. . . John 15:14, ‘Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.’. . If the old nature be indeed mortified, and a new and heavenly nature infused, then may it well be expected, that men will walk in newness of life, and continue to do so to the end of their days. . . Some may be ready to object against what has been said of Christian practice being the chief evidence of the truth of grace, that this is a legal doctrine, and that this making practice a thing of such great importance in religion, magnifies works, and tends to lead men to make too much of their own doings, to the diminution of the glory of free grace, and does not seem well to consist with the great gospel doctrine of justification by faith alone. It is our works being the price of God’s favor, and not their being the sign of it, that is the thing which is inconsistent with the freeness of that favor. . . It is not the worthiness or loveliness of our works, or anything in us, which is in any wise accepted with God, as a balance for the guilt of sin. Thus we are justified only by the righteousness of Christ, and not by our righteousness.” (A Treatise Concerning Religious Affections; Worcester edition.)
    We know that Jesus said, “Not everyone that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he that doeth the will of my Father in heaven” Matt. 7:21. .Jesus made it perfectly clear that, “He that hath my commandments and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me; and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings” John 14:21 & 24. And as we said, He told His Apostles that if we hear them we hear Christ Himself, so we are expected to have no divisions among us, as St. Paul admonished the Corinthians.
    We certainly acknowledge that Christ has had true disciples in all ages of time since His crucifixion and resurrection, but I believe that, as the time of His return to earth draws nearer, He is calling for those who have truly repented and whose primary goal in life is to do God’s will, that we lay down our denominational differences and follow Him. I believe we should be careful not to judge others too harshly, since they must answer to their maker and not to us. But I firmly believe that if we are truly doing His will, Jesus promised us, “We SHALL KNOW of the doctrine whether it be of God" or whether we speak of ourselves.
    If the reader sees anything in this document that is not backed up by scripture, you would do me a favor by bringing it to my attention.

Bob Prince
    May 5, 2010
  3. TI1955
    09-22-2010 09:04 AM - permalink
    TI1955
    Thanks for the words of encouragment. I could not describe the foolishness of those in authority, yet the Lord always convicts me of my struggles with pride. Keeping silent is not an easy task, but God will keep me strong if I take it one day at a time. My prayers are for direction as I believe the time to wipe the dust off my feet is soon to come.
    PTL....I have seen three people, that I know of get saved while I testified on Christ's behalf. The last two unsaved men are my boss and his brother inlaw.
  4. TI1955
    09-22-2010 08:57 AM - permalink
    TI1955
    The key to any "judgment" we have is balance. We must adhere to the Word of God. His laws are still a description of His very Holiness. But our judgment must be for the sake of the soul.
    If a brother needs spiritual advice or warning we that are spiritual must approach them in love and humility. Never disregard sin...Always care for the sinner.
    If a lost person is in sin... it is best to pray for them, give them a Bible or invite them to a church that preaches the Word.
    Only God can give us the discernment....But we can judge with a righteous judgment.
    If we could live an outward life according to God's Law...we should. But being human it often turns us into the very pharises Jesus denounced.
  5. driftwoodpoint
    09-19-2010 06:28 PM - permalink
    driftwoodpoint
    Chad I agree although I do think God wants us to take care of his temple. Sort of moderation in things. Hopefully most Christians are mature enough to look at the heart of others and not judge. There is a verse that says, "man looks on the outside and God looks at the heart"
  6. driftwoodpoint
    09-19-2010 06:25 PM - permalink
    driftwoodpoint
    TI1955 Wow your job sounds very frustrating. It's hard to be salt and light when it seems so many just are out for themselves. Only you know when the right time to leave will be. Just really pray and ask God where he wants you. Maybe looks for another job before you quit this one. Maybe find a position and network through a church...sounds like most of the days are just hard there.
  7. TI1955
    09-17-2010 09:15 AM - permalink
    TI1955
    The world is falling off its foundation with its standards getting lower every day. "if the foundations be destroyed what can the righteous do?"

I am about to leave my job which is filled with corruption, I tried fighting it, reporting it (my duty as controller) and they (corporate)simply swept it under the rug. If that wasnt enough... the parent company in Japan decides to close us down and offer a job to the corrupt man, they acknowledge has "wasted" their company away.

I am ready to move to Florida and start living as the first church did in ACTS. Selling all we have and living for CHRIST as a community, witnessing for His Kingdom.... I hope to hear from those who as Jesus said "blessed are they that mourn" I could have given in and become a rich corrupt man....But i have reached the end of the line. Does anyone feel that way!

If I go it alone....so be it....I still have JESUS.
  8. USS Enterprise CV-6
    08-17-2010 03:10 PM - permalink
    USS Enterprise CV-6

My thoughts and prayers go out for Israel as we go through these trying times.

I support their right to protect themselves.
  9. zoesequoiall
    08-12-2010 07:33 PM - permalink
    zoesequoiall
    Hi i am a new member, i am also a Christian, I would like for you all to pray for me , I am about to take a big step in my life , I am moving to Washington state. I am single and looking for Christians friends. I want to be near Gods beautiful creations , Texas is not for me , I have been here all my life and I want see the beauty God created for us. It is not here in Texas. I have no family there or friends, I am going on Faith and faith along. So you all pray for me. Thank U
  10. Kimbers
    08-10-2010 11:35 PM - permalink
    Kimbers
    I'm new to the group. I wanted to reply to Chad. I agree with you to an extent. I do believe that our outward appearance is our first witness. Our second being the tone and content of our speech. If we appear kind, gentle, loving and holy others will perceive that and seek us wanting to know what we know.