Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a moderated group.

Friends of Bill W.

Group Created by johnycakes

If you belong here, you don't have to ask.

View All Members Showing 10 of 33 Member(s)
Showing 1 of 1 Picture(s)
Chip
From McGowdog
Showing Social Group Messages 111 to 116 of 116
  1. cricket_factor
    06-23-2008 10:01 PM - permalink
    cricket_factor
    Hi, nice to meet everyone - my sobriety date is 2-16. It's the best thing I have ever done - except quit smoking. I'm working slowly on my third year of sobriety. And what I have found out is sobriety is cooler than I thought it was. There are so many perks - no hangovers in the morning, not hungry for terrible fatty, salty food like I was when I was drinking. And I don't repeat my sentences over and over and over like I used to. I can remember dialogue in movies I've seen. I feel calmness a lot more than I have in the last 15 years. I do not know why I quit drinking in February - I think it was because I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I was bloated from drinking and every joint on my body hurt. I lived on Mylanta and Advil.

I work full time, so I go to two meetings a week. Once in awhile when I'm not too exhausted, I can cram a third one in.

I go to a wonderful discussion group (open) on Thursday nights, and Tuesday nights I go to a 12 and 12 meeting (open) or there's a Big Book (closed) meeting up the street from me on Tuesdays as well. When I don't feel like participating much, I really enjoy the speaker meetings.

I'm so glad this group is here. As I was going through the groups I was thinking "Maybe?" And I wasn't disappointed. Thanks a bunch for starting this group!
  2. SunnyKayak
    06-21-2008 05:10 PM - permalink
    SunnyKayak
    I like to sometimes analyse just a little people anniversary dates it sometimes reveals to me what cause them to say I had enough of this old way living. Mine was fourth of July but I relapse a month later so the whole month is just so iffy and everyone is out enjoying the summer and invitations start coming in. Luckily this year there is two different get togethers for the 4th by members of our group and I am grateful.

I definitely see how the weather can play a factor in your edgy feelings johnnycakes as the opposite weather plays on me.

My sponsor just moved across the US and I got to find me a new one which I hate doing but it a good thing bringing a little closer members you trust.
    I sometimes want to ignore the action steps because they can get emotionally deep.

I apologize my random participation but I am still getting use to using these groups.

I need to own a copy of Dr. Bob story it is a powerful movie.
    McGowdog our group meets twice a week. The friday is mostly open discussion except first Friday then it Cover Dish with a Speaker
    On Tuesday we have step or book study or you can attend the other meeting that concentrated on first three steps.
    Im glad johnycakes started this group it kinda neat for us on city data.
  3. McGowdog
    06-18-2008 01:45 PM - permalink
    McGowdog
    I also like Dr. Bob. I belong to a closed group in Pueblo Colorado. It spun off of the Monday Night Group in Denver.

I don't care who knows it so long as I never forget; I'm an Alcoholic. I've been sober for over 4 years and it took me about 14 years to get this much time.

We do the steps yearly. Although we are a small group, we are the best group in town.

PS: Thanks for allowing me to sign up. I'm new to a Social Group. I don't exactly know what to do here; but while looking through all the Social Group topics, this is the only one I would fit in.
  4. johnycakes
    06-10-2008 04:24 AM - permalink
    johnycakes
    Well, I know for me... my anniversary date (11-14) comes at a "low" time of the year for me anyhow.... days have gotten very short, cold weather setting in, can't really do much outside after work, and so forth. So, I think for me, it's no coincidence I hit my "bottom" at the time of year I did for that reason. Could be there's something like that at work for you? Like.. kayak season has pretty much wrapped up, and the really hot, muggy and buggy air is setting in, perhaps?
  5. SunnyKayak
    06-09-2008 09:23 PM - permalink
    SunnyKayak
    Why is it approaching anniversary dates hard for me? I am approaching my 6 year anniversary and I am proud of it lord knows 7 years ago I wouldnt have thought this but my date follows a holiday and I grew up celebrating this holiday
  6. johnycakes
    06-08-2008 02:07 PM - permalink
    johnycakes
    Welcome! I was starting to wonder if anyone else was going to join in!