Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 01:14 AM

86 posts, read 199,100 times

Advertisements

I have begun my internet research on lakefront communities in the southeastern U.S. I keep coming across lists and articles that rate the Reserve on Lake Keowee highly and state the lake is among the cleanest in the entire southeast. My wife and I would enjoy the community concept with amenities such as golf, a marina, a clubhouse and social and sports memberships. We would like to keep the budget at or under $1M for a single family home +/- 4000 sqft. Are there any comments or suggestions that could help me find additional communities (even if they are on a different lake) in the western part of South Carolina? I have stayed in Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head and lived in Beaufort for three years. Being from Virginia Beach, I am over the ocean scene and long to retire and fish on a scenic mountain lake. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 04:28 AM

807 posts, read 1,783,880 times
Good choice n my opinion. Beautiful mountain views & I love Lake Keowee. I'm sure some others will chime in with sggestions but since it's usually the only lake we go to I don't know of another with the mountains except Lake Jocassee & I doubt there are any homes available there.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:33 AM

Thank you, Pat. In your professional opinion the Reserve is what we are looking for also?

Old 05-18-2014, 07:35 AM

With the amenities you want it sounds like a great choice.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:28 AM

65 posts, read 116,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmarland View Post
I have begun my internet research on lakefront communities in the southeastern U.S. I keep coming across lists and articles that rate the Reserve on Lake Keowee highly and state the lake is among the cleanest in the entire southeast. My wife and I would enjoy the community concept with amenities such as golf, a marina, a clubhouse and social and sports memberships. We would like to keep the budget at or under $1M for a single family home +/- 4000 sqft. Are there any comments or suggestions that could help me find additional communities (even if they are on a different lake) in the western part of South Carolina? I have stayed in Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head and lived in Beaufort for three years. Being from Virginia Beach, I am over the ocean scene and long to retire and fish on a scenic mountain lake. Thank you!
Though I'm not too familiar with the Lake Keowee area, I am originally from Virginia Beach. I would think even with lakefront property you would get more for your money than you would in Virginia Beach. The cost of living in the upstate is much lower than Virginia Beach. However, if you live in Oconee county you'll have to spend more time driving to main shopping destinations which are mostly in Greenville. Since you're retiring and may not be concerned with shopping, it may not matter in the grand scheme of things to you. However, in Virginia Beach you can typically get to any of the major shopping destinations if you live close to I-264. On Lake Keowee you would either have to battle traffic on Highway 123 through Easley or drive to I-85 in Anderson to get to Greenville.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:47 PM

632 posts, read 747,917 times
BillMarland
It's not a bad drive. Why not come on and have a look. Keowee has quite a lot to offer and your budget certainly gives you options. A drive up around Lake Jocassee might also be in order. If you want to be in closer to town, Lake Hartwell also has some pretty upscale digs. However you decide, , it all starts with having a personal closer looksee.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:53 PM

I agree it's not a bad drive at all. Seneca has most of the daily needs, Lowes, Home Depot, groceries, medical, etc.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
BillMarland
It's not a bad drive. Why not come on and have a look. Keowee has quite a lot to offer and your budget certainly gives you options. A drive up around Lake Jocassee might also be in order. If you want to be in closer to town, Lake Hartwell also has some pretty upscale digs. However you decide, , it all starts with having a personal closer looksee.
Thank you for your opinion and suggestion. Being from Virginia, I've always loved the Blue Ridge in fall. I think we will do just that----even spend three or four days to get a "feel" for the commute. Greensville-Spartansburg is a cropdusting airport----but its functional. How far would Hartsfield or Charlotte-Douglass be from the lake for international flights?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:04 AM

81 posts, read 203,636 times
Lake Keowee is beautiful. I was lucky to grow up there. The Reserve is nice but it's worth checking out many of the other communities on the lake in the area. The Cliff Communities will also offer a lot of the same. I haven't been in Keowee Key in over 15 years but that is another community on the lake with golf course.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:33 AM

298 posts, read 686,703 times
We gave The Reserve serious consideration. My thoughts ...

The Reserve is NICE. The Cliffs are NICE.

However, in both cases I think it wouldl be tight, but doable, to bring in a 4,000 sqft house on a good lot. If memory serves me correctly, the lots alone would probably come in somewhere at least in the 500k range (for a semi decent waterfront lot). The cheaper waterfront lots are extremely steep and once built the driveway may be SCARY steep. You may have better luck with an interior lot. I have to wonder though, if the interior lots in these lakeside communities will ever be sold out. After all, if you're not on the water, why live out in such a remote location?

In both communities, the amenities are very nice but things get pretty sleepy once the lake season ends. Most of these homes are summer homes.

Seneca is the closest population center but any way you shake it, its a long drive for daily necessities.

We went for a smaller place at the south end of Lake Keowee for weekends and the main house in Greenville through the week. Both are close enough to civilization so that getting daily necessities are not a time sink.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 05-19-2014 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area