Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 06:22 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
[i]

And just because you - personally - do not find it appealing doesn't mean you get to make that decision for all the other people*

*approx 80% of folks who fly drink at the airport, approaching 90% if you include the plane. 2 billion people flew last year. So - that's, uh, 1,800,000,000 who don't get a drink because YOU don't think there's "any good reason" for it. That's a whole lotta people you're making a decision for. And it's billions - with a b - in revenue you're trying to get rid of for airports and airlines. Ya think that would raise ticket prices or lower them?

I'm voicing my opinion, as are you. Isn't that what we do here?

And I do not "get to make that decision for all the other people". Above my pay grade for sure. I am entitled to my opinion though.

I wouldn't mind paying a higher fare for better transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 06:39 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I wish airlines would not serve alcoholic beverages at all.

In case of emergency, I don't want drunks sitting in the exit row or stumbling and blocking the aisles!

Are people drinking because they are bored or because they can't go without an alcoholic drink for the few hours they are airborne?
Just so many assumptions there and complete lack of breaking down the length of flight, destination or if the person is afraid to fly etc. or had some sort of ongoing celebration.

It almost sounds like you're lecturing but have never really experienced it yourself much?

That said, we can SURELY agree on people getting ripped on flights and causing problems.

My former partner was afraid to fly, would get modestly drunk so as not to cry the whole flight and I would chaperone. In my entire life I have never been on a flight where there has been a problem like you describe and that includes about 50 flights including ones to Vegas.

Have you encountered any personally? If so please share.

Old 09-07-2023, 09:27 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just so many assumptions there and complete lack of breaking down the length of flight, destination or if the person is afraid to fly etc. or had some sort of ongoing celebration.

It almost sounds like you're lecturing but have never really experienced it yourself much?

That said, we can SURELY agree on people getting ripped on flights and causing problems.

My former partner was afraid to fly, would get modestly drunk so as not to cry the whole flight and I would chaperone. In my entire life I have never been on a flight where there has been a problem like you describe and that includes about 50 flights including ones to Vegas.

Have you encountered any personally? If so please share.
Did your partner self medicate with alcohol in other areas of life too? This is not known to be a healthy way to deal with stress or anxiety.

Old 09-07-2023, 09:38 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
Apologies, Lillie, you're absolutely right - opinions (mine and yours) are just that.

I think I was just veering into the larger picture - where a smaller number of "anti-" something folks catch the ear of a larger group of lobbyists - and just like that, they've made a decision for everyone, even though the actual group affected is quite small. We see it all the time in all types of issues and policies - and this shouldn't be one of them.

RE: the return of smoking on planes - which I remember. The difference there is that it is literally not possible to smoke without affecting other people. The precise effect is up for debate, but stink comes to mind. It is indeed possible to discretely enjoy a glass of wine - and no one knows or cares. It is not possible to smoke a cigarette on a plane and hope no one noticed.

Smokers often underestimate how bad smoking smells. The plane smells forever. The seats smell. Your clothes smell -and now mine do too. If you spilled your wine on me, and I smelled like booze all day, I'd be miffed. Well - you don't have to "spill" for cigarette smoke. 30 seconds next to you - and I smell like smoke all day. The entire plane is "next to you." And 100 other reasons - but that should be enough. Smoking near others without asking them is highly inconsiderate. You can make the case that drinking bothers you - but simply look away. No one can "look away" from smoking. It smells. Bad.

Old 09-07-2023, 11:05 AM

Alcohol has long been an acceptable legal drug. Younger generations are clued into this and not as enthusiastic about alcohol as many older people are. It tends to affect our filters. When I sit on a plane and the guy next to me immediately starts ordering drinks I know there is a good possibility that it will be an uncomfortable flight. Many women have these stories. Put a woman and a man in close proximity sitting almost on top of each other, then add some alcohol to that, good plan.

Yeah I'd pay more to fly on a plane with enforced rules of behavior and alcohol free. Much less chance of bad experiences.

I would advise anxious flyers (like myself) to try taking a bit of melatonin and valerian before a flight. That will slow your roll.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-07-2023 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Edited to remove quoted material after it was deleted.

Old 09-07-2023, 01:56 PM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Did your partner self medicate with alcohol in other areas of life too? This is not known to be a healthy way to deal with stress or anxiety.
My doctor actually suggested alcohol before a flight if the meds she prescribed werent working. I have a very high tolerance for meds and i felt nothing even after she stated she prescribed me double what she normally does. My anxiety takes over and its a miserable flight but alcohol can make it more tolerable. I dont self medicate with alcohol for anything but flying which i try to avoid at all costs.

Old 09-07-2023, 06:18 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
I fly a lot, and occasionally drink on longer flights to pass the time. I also never saw anyone belligerent on a plane due to alcohol. It's very very rare. Not something to worry about as a passenger. Maybe it happens more often on budget airlines to party destinations?

Old 09-08-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I fly a lot, and occasionally drink on longer flights to pass the time. I also never saw anyone belligerent on a plane due to alcohol. It's very very rare. Not something to worry about as a passenger. Maybe it happens more often on budget airlines to party destinations?
You don't know what's going on in the whole plane. Just because someone doesn't make a scene doesn't mean there aren't problems happening elsewhere. Alcohol is known to alter behavior, sometimes just small amounts can do it depending on the person. Some guy next to me fell asleep after a few drinks and his head fell forward and he was drooling all over himself like a baby. I put napkins down on him. Lovely flight that was.

Old 09-08-2023, 07:51 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I never drink at the airport or on a flight. Why? Because I usually have to drive upon arrival at the destination.

I have seen a few "overserved" passengers in my travels. One guy flying from Detroit to Nashville was standing at the gate and I was afraid he was going to fall down. The bad thing is he appeared to be traveling alone and it was a short flight. I HOPE he had someone picking him up upon arrival.

A second one that stands out is a lady on the shuttle bus. She was obviously intoxicated and alone. She drove home drunk.

Every time I fly I notice the airport bars are usually packed with people drinking.

Do people really "need" liquid courage for such a simple and statistically safe form of travel? The odds are one in 11,000,000 for a fatal outcome flying vs one in 5000 driving to the airport.

Smoking? Smokers can use nicotine patches or lozenges to quell the urge during the flight.

My opinion is alcohol and flying don't mix well. I remember a friend of mine back in the day who had a t-shirt that said "Instant A-hole, just add alcohol" and sadly that saying is true for a portion of the population. I feel sorry for the flight attendants who have to deal with these people daily. They are not paid that well for the job they do; adding the problem of intoxicated passengers is unfair. If people are nervous they can use a sedative to get through the fear.

Old 09-09-2023, 05:58 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I never drink at the airport or on a flight. Why? Because I usually have to drive upon arrival at the destination.

I have seen a few "overserved" passengers in my travels. One guy flying from Detroit to Nashville was standing at the gate and I was afraid he was going to fall down. The bad thing is he appeared to be traveling alone and it was a short flight. I HOPE he had someone picking him up upon arrival.

A second one that stands out is a lady on the shuttle bus. She was obviously intoxicated and alone. She drove home drunk.

Every time I fly I notice the airport bars are usually packed with people drinking.

Do people really "need" liquid courage for such a simple and statistically safe form of travel? The odds are one in 11,000,000 for a fatal outcome flying vs one in 5000 driving to the airport.

Smoking? Smokers can use nicotine patches or lozenges to quell the urge during the flight.

My opinion is alcohol and flying don't mix well. I remember a friend of mine back in the day who had a t-shirt that said "Instant A-hole, just add alcohol" and sadly that saying is true for a portion of the population. I feel sorry for the flight attendants who have to deal with these people daily. They are not paid that well for the job they do; adding the problem of intoxicated passengers is unfair. If people are nervous they can use a sedative to get through the fear.
Knowing statistics does not make anxiety and irrational fear magically disappear. You understand that, right?

When I was afraid to fly, the anxiety would kick in as soon as I booked the flight and grow as the trip got closer. By the time I got on the plane, I knew for sure I was facing death that day. My dad was an engineer. He explained to me how planes stay up, and I understood. I still thought I would die.

Then I would land, be relieved, but never fully, because I knew I'd have to fly again in a week or so to get home.

It is a most wonderful thing to not be afraid to fly (or die) anymore, but I do remember what it felt like and sympathize with those still caught in the fear of flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates