Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 09:32 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

It doesn't really bother me, and in terms of Europe, the vast majority of flights to other parts of Europe are short haul (less than 3 hours) and any one can't wait a couple hours to get a drink, clearly has a problem.

As for those who are already drunk they are not permitted to travel and it's at the airlines discretion as to who they let board and as to who they serve alcohol to.

Lets also not forget, that for most passengers alcohol is certainly not free, and many airlines charge rip off prices for a drink.

I don't think anyone should be banned from having a drink if they so wish, however it's a question of common sense in relation to both the actual passenger and the airline staff.
I think ive been on a plane 3 times in the past 8 years, but ironically, I have never had to pay for a drink while flying. I have attempted to pay but they always say dont worry about it...maybe they see the fear on my face and feel bad for me. That said, I think two drinks on a flight is about the most ive ever had but I always come prepared with some nips in my carry on if I need a little more calming. My goal on a plane is too sleep, so however I can get to that point is ok with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 09:47 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,873,638 times
any one can't wait a couple hours to get a drink, clearly has a problem.

Well, if it's "CAN'T" - then yep, problem. But if it's simply DON'T WANT TO - then that's no one's business. Remember, a three hour flight is just that - but I already drove an hour to the airport, where I sat for two hours before boarding, and another two hours after the delay. If I want a drink on the flight, after all that, I'm having one. It's not "JUST" a three hour flight. Maybe it's the second or third or fourth leg of a long journey. Ever fly (across different planes) for 20 or 30 hours to get where you're going? Sprint from one flight to the next? It may SEEM a "short" flight to you - but you have no idea what the other passengers have been through today. Live and let live. Don't get drunk and stupid. But don't judge either. Just wrong.

meantime, mustang, while I sympathize - careful with those "nips" in your carryon - that's a serious offense (not kidding). Having said that, I once shared a fifth of rum with a fellow passenger that he bought in duty free - after our flight made an unscheduled emergency landing in a foreign country and we weren't allowed to get off the plane. The flight attendant brought us glasses and ice. I suspect those days are gone...

Old 09-06-2023, 09:58 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
any one can't wait a couple hours to get a drink, clearly has a problem.

Well, if it's "CAN'T" - then yep, problem. But if it's simply DON'T WANT TO - then that's no one's business. Remember, a three hour flight is just that - but I already drove an hour to the airport, where I sat for two hours before boarding, and another two hours after the delay. If I want a drink on the flight, after all that, I'm having one. It's not "JUST" a three hour flight. Maybe it's the second or third or fourth leg of a long journey. Ever fly (across different planes) for 20 or 30 hours to get where you're going? Sprint from one flight to the next? It may SEEM a "short" flight to you - but you have no idea what the other passengers have been through today. Live and let live. Don't get drunk and stupid. But don't judge either. Just wrong.

meantime, mustang, while I sympathize - careful with those "nips" in your carryon - that's a serious offense (not kidding). Having said that, I once shared a fifth of rum with a fellow passenger that he bought in duty free - after our flight made an unscheduled emergency landing in a foreign country and we weren't allowed to get off the plane. The flight attendant brought us glasses and ice. I suspect those days are gone...
Haha, that never even crossed my mind that it was a serious offense to do so! I certainly dont hide them and my bags have been searched and TSA never said anything about them.

Old 09-06-2023, 10:41 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I wish airlines would not serve alcoholic beverages at all.

In case of emergency, I don't want drunks sitting in the exit row or stumbling and blocking the aisles!

Are people drinking because they are bored or because they can't go without an alcoholic drink for the few hours they are airborne?
I think some likely drink because they are afraid of flying. Back when I was afraid of flying, I would drink on the plane. I am no longer afraid to fly, nor do I want to drink on the plane. It makes me feel kind of icky.

Old 09-06-2023, 11:05 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
I suspect those days are gone...

Yes, sadly.

Before 9/11, I once carried on board the rest of a 12pk of beer because I hadn't drank all of it. Once we landed, they made us sit on the tarmac for three hours. I offered to my neighbors, but most people were sleeping. It was funny how people's heads swiveled every time we popped a top!

Old 09-06-2023, 11:18 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,873,638 times
I certainly dont hide them and my bags have been searched and TSA never said anything about them

No offense taking them on - that's perfectly fine. It's OPENING THEM that's the offense.

Old 09-06-2023, 12:12 PM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I think ive been on a plane 3 times in the past 8 years, but ironically, I have never had to pay for a drink while flying. I have attempted to pay but they always say dont worry about it...maybe they see the fear on my face and feel bad for me. That said, I think two drinks on a flight is about the most ive ever had but I always come prepared with some nips in my carry on if I need a little more calming. My goal on a plane is too sleep, so however I can get to that point is ok with me.

It depends on the length of the fight, the type of airline, the class you are flying and other such factors.

Generally budget airlines on short haul routes don't even provide a free mean or even a cup of coffee any more, never mind an alcoholic drink, and a lot of people in these times would rather just take a cheap flight than be plied with free booze.

However I am not against drinks on airlines as long as it carried out sensible, and if someone is drinking too much then the flight crew can refuse then many more.

Old 09-06-2023, 01:52 PM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
There is no good reason to serve alcohol on planes.

There's no good reason NOT TO either. It's a huge profit center for all involved. Very few incidents. All airlines WORLD WIDE allow it (a few exceptions). And just because you - personally - do not find it appealing doesn't mean you get to make that decision for all the other people*. Lots of folks do things on planes I don't like - but it's still permitted.

1. Let your kids run rampant.
2. Put your BARE feet on the armrest or bulkhead.
3. Eat garlic-curry chicken from a takeout box.
4. Where a skirt or shorts so short - or a shirt, for that matter - that I have to disinfect the seat before using it.

There is NO GOOD REASON for any of those things either - but I live with them. Because flying is just a tiny slice of our overall world, and it is what it is.

Qatar, Gulf and Emirates all serve alcohol - 100% agree, just flew Emirates AWESOME - but my point was, of all the airlines that DO ban alcohol - ALL OF THEM are middle eastern. Didn't mean to imply ALL middle eastern airlines ban alcohol. Clearly not true.

*approx 80% of folks who fly drink at the airport, approaching 90% if you include the plane. 2 billion people flew last year. So - that's, uh, 1,800,000,000 who don't get a drink because YOU don't think there's "any good reason" for it. That's a whole lotta people you're making a decision for. And it's billions - with a b - in revenue you're trying to get rid of for airports and airlines. Ya think that would raise ticket prices or lower them?
I think there should be enforced rules about those things too. People are too stupid and rude to police themselves. Some people are required to fly a lot and they have to deal with this crap all the time.
BTW, some women have been told to cover up or get off the plane because they're half naked.

So what about smoking? Should that still be banned or do we let people light up on planes again, because who are we to tell others what to do. Maybe let them light up a nice skunky blunt too.

I'm not buying that 80-90% of people drink at the airport. Seems most of us barely make it on time to board.

Old 09-06-2023, 02:11 PM

333 posts, read 153,214 times
My wife and I usually fly business class to Mexico for vacation every year. We begin the vacation the moment we get on the plane, and are offered free alcohol as part of the flight. I've never seen anyone in business class become "a problem" on any flight we've taken, despite having free access to alcohol and friendly stewardesses constantly filling your glass. The last time we flew down, one of them decided I needed doubles without me even asking her for them.

If you can't handle your alcohol, don't drink. But please, stop projecting your issues with it on everybody else.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:30 PM

821 posts, read 464,660 times
Quote:
If you can't handle your alcohol, don't drink. But please, stop projecting your issues with it on everybody else.
This is all that needs to be said. People use the "alcohol" excuse to act like you-know-whats. That is no excuse.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind paying a higher fare for better transportation.
DW and I started flying business about 15 yrs ago. It was just too much flying coach. I think if people weren't so chincy about spending another $100 or $200 bucks to get where you want to go in 5-10 hours instead of 1 or 3 weeks airlines could easily put back in bigger seats and give everyone more room. People just don't think about how good we have it. Every time I start getting uppity I think about a picture of my great aunt going to NM in a wagon train back in the early 20th century. Puts things in perspective pretty quickly.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-06-2023 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates