Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:29 PM

8 posts, read 26,994 times

Advertisements

If you are a glutton for punishment, my conclusion is to invest in Cape Coral. With high unemployment, high crime rate (and rising!), a bankrupt city, newspaper reports of corrupt city officials, a decline in population (never seen before!) and the #2 city in America for foreclosures, you must be a glutton for punishment to invest here.

Come on, I would invest on the Gulf Coast before investing again in Cape Coral!

Old 07-20-2010, 05:10 PM

616 posts, read 1,567,034 times
Guess I'm double glutton for punishment. We just bought a house, and I'm doing the research for a business proposal to start a business in the Cape.

Where else can the Cape go? Can it get worse, sure... but I'm banking on it improving. If you want change, you have to work for it. Go to council meetings, be active in the community, and vote. The citizens of Cape Coral are in control of what happens - whether you believe it or not. Don't like where the new city manager is going - vote him out. Don't like what the mayor is doing - vote him out.

We can all sit around the computer and gripe and moan about this and that. If you want change or see potential in something (no how matter how small) - take the small change and run with it. Make it into a big change or potential.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:38 PM

33,595 posts, read 18,231,520 times
There are many foreclosures but there are many buyers coming into the Cape.
With a smaller mortgage because of the great buys in the Cape, more money for the buyers to put into the economy.

I see the Cape in years to come being the very best place because the cost of home ownership will not strap the buyers and they will have the funds to support local businesses and pay their share of property taxes. It will be healthy again.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:34 PM

681 posts, read 887,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.L. View Post
If you are a glutton for punishment, my conclusion is to invest in Cape Coral. With high unemployment, high crime rate (and rising!), a bankrupt city, newspaper reports of corrupt city officials, a decline in population (never seen before!) and the #2 city in America for foreclosures, you must be a glutton for punishment to invest here.

Right on!

Unempolyment has fallen everywhere else except in Lee County
Related to crime..whatever is not screwed down is stolen from falt screen TVs to cars.
Bankruptcy, Cape Coral debt is pilling up while its tax base is shrinking.
Declining population is a trciky matter. On one hand I read that Lee County population has fallen to 102,xxx on the other hand Cape Coral alone is estimated to have the same number of population. Have to read more about it.
Of course with glut of foreclosures in commerical and residential properties Cape Coral/FM has jumped back to its place of #2.
About Corruption, it is still unclear why mayor Sullivan thinks to give
$20 000 to the new city manager as incentive is justifiable.

Source: For all of the above news just GOOGLE the red highlighted words.

I come back to them in detail anyways.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:05 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,745,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
Where else can the Cape go? Can it get worse, sure... but I'm banking on it improving. If you want change, you have to work for it. Go to council meetings, be active in the community, and vote. The citizens of Cape Coral are in control of what happens - whether you believe it or not. Don't like where the new city manager is going - vote him out. Don't like what the mayor is doing - vote him out.
Umm, the Cape city council is notorious for doing exactly the opposite of what their constituents want. Do some research on the utility debacle of last year.

The city manager is appointed, and wages set by city council, again typically without regard for what the citizens have to say. He is not elected......

Welcome to Cape Coral. Now get to work on that change.......

YC.......

Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,103,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.L. View Post

here we go another poster that likes to make up things to make the city look worse than it really is. Crime has gone down for the last 2 and 1/2 years
http://http://www.news-press.com/article/20100722/CRIME/100722009/1075 (broken link)

initial foreclosure filings have been dropping like a rock from it's high of 2900 in October 2008 to avg only 900 month.

population: the only reputable population info is from the census bureau everything else is just an estimate based on unreliable info in a revolving door type of housing market. as yoko reported earlier the census is reporting virtually unchanged population which is amazing considering how many of the homes are being sold to cash buyers and foreigners, future retirees.

the city is not going bankrupt. the council has a budget than decide how to fund it. the difference with this council it has decided to keep the millage rate the same as oppossed to increasing it which largely represents a tax cut for the home owners. Also the tax base is not shrinking, this is misuse of terms by reporters. the taxes are a large percentage of property taxes so the only way you can have a shrinking tax base is less property that can be taxed. So technically the only shrinking tax base is the house fires that are eliminating improved property. the amount the gov't is choosing to tax the property is what has been shrinking and that is not a bad thing.

on a previous post you said property taxes are going up or the city will default on it's bonds.. I guess you were wrong.

Last edited by nhkev; 07-22-2010 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 10:05 AM

29 posts, read 57,560 times
was in the Cape just last week successfully flipping one completed foreclosed fixer-upper and starting on the next.
So far netting a little over $140K in 6mths of investing in the Cape

Here is to a bad economy.. I'm making more money now than when it was great!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:10 AM

132 posts, read 557,798 times
Robert L are you and Yoko the same person?????

Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 PM

335 posts, read 665,344 times
People will always want to retire/move to Florida. As far as I know, they are not enlarging the state. The amount of space is very finite with a growing amount of people who will want to retire there. People laugh at FL when they are young then move there when they are old. There will always be a long term demand for property in FL. Bet on it.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:09 PM

964 posts, read 2,068,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
People laugh at FL when they are young then move there when they are old. There will always be a long term demand for property in FL. Bet on it.
You are spot on. That was me 25 years ago. 50 was old to me then. I hated the idea of FL. And here I am now, a property owner who can't wait until October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area