Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 PM

386 posts, read 1,016,782 times

Advertisements

I've been on this forum and due to (contractual) employment obligations I have been living in Cape Coral/Ft.Myers for appx. 3 months. I am glad to be relocating (North) to the Sarasota/Bradenton area. My heart goes out to the folks in Cape Coral. IMHO the area is really depressed and has a long way to go. All of the local (and national) economic forces that have been brought to bear seem to have really wrecked havoc here. My experience is personal. I formed my opinion on what I have encountered on a daily basis---living here, going to work, to the store, trying to find a nice gym, dining in local restaurants etc. For me it was a wake up call from living in an upscale area of New Jersey. I wish everyone in this community the best. Even though I am gainfully employed, (and usually optimistic) over a period of 90 days of working and living here I became increasingly depressed with my surroundings.

I am a politically active person. From my observations, there are MAJOR PROBLEMS in Cape Coral. Hopefully, those who choose Cape Coral as there home will take an active role in the community and not be naive.

I'll return to visit (my relatives) here in the future and wish everyone the best. I am just so glad to be leaving...

Old 07-28-2010, 07:25 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,741,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrita View Post
I have been living in Cape Coral/Ft.Myers for appx. 3 months.............. I am just so glad to be leaving...

Best two sentences in a post regarding the Cape Coral experience.............ever!

YC.......

Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 PM

964 posts, read 2,067,384 times
Quote:
I've been on this forum and due to (contractual) employment obligations I have been living in Cape Coral/Ft.Myers for appx. 3 months. I am glad to be relocating (North) to the Sarasota/Bradenton area. My heart goes out to the folks in Cape Coral. IMHO the area is really depressed and has a long way to go. All of the local (and national) economic forces that have been brought to bear seem to have really wrecked havoc here. My experience is personal. I formed my opinion on what I have encountered on a daily basis---living here, going to work, to the store, trying to find a nice gym, dining in local restaurants etc. For me it was a wake up call from living in an upscale area of New Jersey. I wish everyone in this community the best. Even though I am gainfully employed, (and usually optimistic) over a period of 90 days of working and living here I became increasingly depressed with my surroundings.

I am a politically active person. From my observations, there are MAJOR PROBLEMS in Cape Coral. Hopefully, those who choose Cape Coral as there home will take an active role in the community and not be naive.

I'll return to visit (my relatives) here in the future and wish everyone the best. I am just so glad to be leaving...
ImaRita, that comparison is similar to one you could make between Manhattan and Baltimore. Equating NJ to SWFL is just as unfair - both are completely different cultures.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
ImaRita, that comparison is similar to one you could make between Manhattan and Baltimore. Equating NJ to SWFL is just as unfair - both are completely different cultures.
Izmack, I don't mean to compare. Coming from the "Soprano State" as a politically active citizen I have more than a little experience working against corruption. Believe me, it knows no boundaries. I thought I had seen/heard everything until I lived here. The Cape Coral situation is not unique. You are behind an eight ball. It doesn't have anything to do with culture.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Izmack, I don't mean to compare. Coming from the "Soprano State" as a politically active citizen I have more than a little experience working against corruption. Believe me, it knows no boundaries. I thought I had seen/heard everything until I lived here. The Cape Coral situation is not unique. You are behind an eight ball. It doesn't have anything to do with culture.
Ah, but you did compare, though! Gyms, dining, etc. CC doesn't attempt to be like northern NJ and thank heavens. It's a completely different place with challenges like many other cities in the US that are offset by benefits that NJ can't hope to match.

I flew into EWR one day in April and felt my entire mood sink as did the plane's altitude. Why anyone would choose to live there is beyond me. Hoboken, Jersey City - pick up a paper any week and there will be a new FBI bust on some gov't. official. To each his own, though.

I truly hope you find the utopia you seek, but IMO, anywhere there's politics, there's dirt. Bon voyage....

Corruption is nature's way of restoring our faith in democracy.
Peter Ustinov

Old 07-30-2010, 09:02 AM

Just to clarify, I am from Southern New Jersey. Newark, Trenton, Hoboken, etc. are very foreign to us "farmer folks" from the Garden State!

Old 07-30-2010, 05:48 PM

681 posts, read 886,937 times
Quote:

I am glad to be relocating (North) to the Sarasota/Bradenton area. My heart goes out to the folks in Cape Coral. IMHO the area is really depressed and has a long way to go. All of the local (and national) economic forces that have been brought to bear seem to have really wrecked havoc here.

My experience is personal. I formed my opinion on what I have encountered on a daily basis---living here, going to work, to the store, trying to find a nice gym, dining in local restaurants etc. For me it was a wake up call from living in an upscale area of New Jersey. I wish everyone in this community the best. Even though I am gainfully employed, (and usually optimistic) over a period of 90 days of working and living here I became increasingly depressed with my surroundings.

Sadly what you wrote is so very true.

Not only the economic environment is depressing but most importantly the lack of ethics, morality and leadership.

Thank you for taking your time writing about your experience in Cape Coral...just a small warning signal for whom blindly trust fairy tales of realtors and house flippers who portray Cape Coral as a heavenly garden with pearl gates.

I am happy for each single person who leaves and free himself/herself from a depressing economic/social/political situation in Cape Coral.

Iamrita, thank you for being honest. Sarasota/Bradenton area is lucky to have a new resident like you.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,360,151 times
Brick, New Jersey was just voted safest place to live. I had a friend that lived in Flemington, New Jersey, one of the most affluent places in the country. Beautiful. If you think all of New Jersey is Newark or Hoboken then you should not be commenting because you know nothing, really, about the state. Most of it is far more upscale than Lee County could ever hope to be.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Brick, New Jersey was just voted safest place to live. I had a friend that lived in Flemington, New Jersey, one of the most affluent places in the country. Beautiful. If you think all of New Jersey is Newark or Hoboken then you should not be commenting because you know nothing, really, about the state. Most of it is far more upscale than Lee County could ever hope to be.
Hik, I don't know if your reply is to me? I spend a majority of my time in NJ for work, and so I'm aware of all its areas. The poster was regretting that there were no places in CC that were similar to her upscale NJ neighborhood. I was setting the record straight that the 2 areas were not comparable - CC is a lot of things, but upscale is not one of them.

The poster also seemed convinced that any corruption in CC was greater than that of one the most (if not the most) corrupt states in the union. Side by side, again, not a fair comparison.

And...NJ in winter - regardless what area - is pretty barren, unless you like snow and ice. Yes, even in Flemington, Summit, Madison, Toms River and Cape May.

Landing at EWR (vs. landing at RSW) is definitely a downer anytime of year...

Anyone who comes to SWFL with visions that it's going to be anything like the NE should consider moving to Miami....

Old 08-01-2010, 04:45 PM

33,594 posts, read 18,215,849 times
I am from NJ and live in Central Jersey ,Monmouth Couny area.I have been here all my life . We have lots of tourists here and it is too built up in my area .

I bought a home in the Cape and enjoy the quiet slower pace.

True- Jersey is different.The beaches are packed like sardines now.. No slow pace.

As far as Brick as being the safest town, I question that.The drivers there are crazy. My opinion is taken by many. We have the most densely populated state per sq mile.

The Cape will recover. The boomers will be getting a bargain for a retirement or vacation home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area