Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:40 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Lets see:
  • in line at the deli at Publix - you are waiting with your number - the deli assistant mistakenly looks at someone else - either you get someone loudly interrupting or cutting in line ahead of those waiting;
  • At the mall - waiting on a parking space and permitting someone to back out - I cannot tell you how many times people on the other side - seeing me waiting with my indicator on have pulled in - and looked at me like - whatever;
  • getting assistance from anyone in "customer service" - you get a yea, no hello - no how may I help you;
  • at the airport coming back from a recent trip I was almost run over by a cab driver crossing the street;
  • pull into Pembroke Gardens and watch how many people double park - seemingly oblivious to the people who they are blocking to speak with friends; let people out etc.
I agree that those are all examples of rude behavior, but you see things like that everywhere (at least everywhere I have lived) it really is not unique to this area.

I guess that the people that really matter to me are the people that I make friends with and deal with on a daily basis. Rude people that I encounter on a chance basis are not a big factor in my happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 08:41 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I take offense to that. I don't see many Russians by Fort Lauderdale, but the drivers here are worse then in New York.
You are not making a lot of common sense.

What's not making sense, and what do you take offense to? I get offended too when someone screams "F you" at me for coming to a stop in our subdivision, but it happened. And they blow through the stop sign all the time, I see it. Not sure what is offensive.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Stillthesame, although this is all examples of rudeness, but you will see this EVERYWHERE. Honestly. I don't know, maybe I'm just used to seeing double-parked cars in Brooklyn, but these examples are very mild in comparison.

I love the ones who park, sometimes even double park in a handicapped spot when they are not even handicapped. I have seen that SEVERAL times at the shopping center by my house. Always accompanied by a NJ tag and usually the SUV is half full with the driver speaking loudly in spanish.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I know what you're saying, and you being from NYC, I think you'll be fine in S FL. You're already used it. My point is, or what I cant seem to grasp, is why deal with that kind of crap? All those things I highlighted above are definitely things you have to consider when moving to S FL, so my point of view is, why even bother? I'd much rather go elsewhere where I can at least decrease the chances of that BS happening. To me, warm weather just isnt worth it, but to a lot of people, I guess it is.
I think that your own personal philosophy plays into this a bit. I don't really care if people I don't know and encounter infrequently are rude. Those people don't mean anything to me so I am able to just let the small stuff slide. I can't get my panties in a bunch over some store clerk that doesn't say hello. I realize that other people have different philosophies and that stuff may mean more to them, but I just can't see letting people I don't know affect me in any meaningful way.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki9947;12043170[B
][/b]I would have to say that on a daily basis I probably encounter at least 1 rude person/event per day. It usually begins with the sh*ty drivers on the way to work and ends with some sort of awkward impolite behavior like someone bumping into me without saying excuse me, a stealing of a parking space, a non greeting at a cash register, a really snooty rich person, a general a**hole, and now that's it's Christmas the rudeness is even worse. It's a daily grinding type of atmosphere and anything goes down here. I understand what you are saying about there being rude people everywhere and yes I actually agree with that. And honestly, maybe it's just me, who knows? I also do understand that in other countries outside of America, this attitude may seem very mild. BUT in comparison to the rest of the US, it seems like the rudeness/aggression/take advantage type of attitude is just VERY concentrated down here (except for maybe in NYC). It's very agitating and it makes you wonder where in the hell that attitude comes from. Unfortunately, it's so noticeable that it outshines the normal/nice people.

Wow, that's it? LOL! I see more than that up here in Orlando (kidding aside - I still think S FL is worse than Orlando, but Orlando is getting there) and yes, usually the same type of garbage and the same people!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think that your own personal philosophy plays into this a bit. I don't really care if people I don't know and encounter infrequently are rude. Those people don't mean anything to me so I am able to just let the small stuff slide. I can't get my panties in a bunch over some store clerk that doesn't say hello. I realize that other people have different philosophies and that stuff may mean more to them, but I just can't see letting people I don't know affect me in any meaningful way.

My post was actually directed to Chelsa. I think you'll be fine.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
My post was actually directed to Chelsa. I think you'll be fine.
I have been here in south FL for 9 years. I agree that I see the same sort of behavior you describe. What I disagree with is that it affects my life in any meaningful way. I have surrounded myself with people that I like and the rest of the people I encounter don't matter to me.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:25 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,425,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I'm a legal assistant and my husband is a Pipe Fitter. We both make about 170K between the 2.
Chelz,
How have you been? I know NYC is expensive, but you can make it in NY with that combined salary. I know couples (with kids) that make slightly less (some more) than you guys and are living well in NY. Gotta work on the budgeting skills . You can make it out there, especially in these hard times. If you're complaining about NYC with that salary, you'll be incessantly in South Florida. Anyone can tell you that. While $170k is not for an excessively opulent lifestyle, if budgeted right, you can live very comfortably (no expensive cars, but decent..not buying kids expensive clothes & latest sneakers all the time, excessive credit card debts, and spoiling oneself all the time etc). It can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Anyway, I'm back to trying again - we shall see what this summer brings us.
I hope you find what it is you're seeking here. Good Luck! (I mean it )
But, have you considered Central Florida? South Florida can't be your only option, or is it?
If you want good advice, I say: Duke it out in NYC. Have you considered moving to NJ, CT? and commute to NYC? I know it may be a bit demanding, but the family/suburban atmosphere you're seeking may not be as far as you think.
And please, don't let the sunshine and palm trees reel you in. You will hardly notice them when you live here . It's a novelty because you don't see it everyday....that's all.

I see people clamoring over the housing market down here. Yes it has improved, but not quite where it should be. That's my opinion though.
I guess it depends, since what I find for $250k-$300k in Metro Atlanta blows anything South Florida has to offer out the water (for the same price, that is). Anyways, if you were to move here, rent first. Don't jump and buy. It takes a while to get acclimated, so a quick purchase may lead to regrets later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Provitt View Post
Hello Everyone, I'm new to this. I was just surfing the net to find affordable and nice places to check out in Florida and came across this site. I don't know exactly when I'll move but I have been thinking about this for a long time. I really would like to move there when I do make up my mind. I work for the state here in Alabama and could possibly get a transfer, but I do have this medical condition that may eventually cause me to get a medical retirement. I suffer with sleep apnea and I drive from Troy to Montgomery. I sometimes drift off to sleep driving and at work. Yes, I know, a person like me don't need to drive. I'm taking meds that keeps me awake during those crucial hours of the day where I have to drive to work and from work. So, that's working out real good. So, right now I do want a change of scenery from Troy, Alabama and I chose Florida. I'll decide within the next year or so, hopefully by summer I'll know exactly what to do. I've lived in Los Angeles and Atlanta, but haven't experience Florida and it's weighing heavy on my mind. Don't know which city, but I think Florida is my next move. Not getting any younger, single, kids are grown, on their own and I'm tired of Alabama, love my State, but need the change.
Uh oH!! Another driver sleeping at the wheel down here........Seriously.. (j/k..well.... not really...). I think you'd be better off living in a city with Public Transportation, better than anything South Florida has to offer (in these terms).

I don't really know you, but I think Central or North Florida would suit your needs better. From Alabama to South Florida, I don't know.
Travel to many areas in Florida, and see which one would work for you. With age and wisdom (anything near retirement or looking for a moderately paced lifestyle), I'd opt for Central Florida and north of it. Just advice.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:58 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
Quote:
What's not making sense, and what do you take offense to? I get offended too when someone screams "F you" at me for coming to a stop in our subdivision, but it happened. And they blow through the stop sign all the time, I see it. Not sure what is offensive.
That's because everyone and anyone does that, it's not unique to russian population only.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
That's because everyone and anyone does that, it's not unique to russian population only.

Everyone does that? Wow! How sad that you think everyone and anyone does that. I really encourage you to visit other states in the southeast.

Of course it's not unique to Russians... that's why in my post, I said, "it's funny you say that..." I never said anything about Russians doing it a lot, I just simply gave an example of something that happened to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area