Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:42 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
You don't get much of an argument here. I'll add that a family needs to make at least $100k per year, and not be piled with debt (expensive car notes, a mtg they can't afford, credit card bills, school loans, misc expenses, etc).
I concur about debt.

We don't know enough about her to determine whether there are money management issues in her family and I doubt the internet is the place to discuss those issues.

In Weston there is tremendous pressure to "keek up with the Jones". However, there is just no way of knowing how people live based on internet postings.

Quote:
I never said the OP and her hubby couldn't make it. That was not what I wanted to convey, but with enough money and low debt, almost anywhere can be pleasing. It needs to be a combination of both for them to succeed.
Agreed. I try to make sure everyone is aware of the pros and cons of living here but ultimately different people weigh the pros and cons for themselves. I think the OP is under estimating what she can make, but the job market for her skill set is slow right now. My husband just hired a support person in his office and he got resumes from ATTORNEYS wanting the job, that's how slow the legal job market is.

Quote:
I also want to make clear, that with a combined income of $170k in NYC, they can live relatively well in NY. I see it over and over. I have no reason to lie. Unless there are (poor) money management issues or heavy debt in the picture, I don't know how they can't do well in NYC. I see people do more with less. Something is just not adding up.
When we lived in NY we lived in Westchester and both of us worked in NYC. We were making $250K per year and we were doing ok. I don't know if we could have made it on $100K a year less. One of the reasons we wanted to move is that in NY we had long commutes and we both needed to work to make ends meet so life was very stressful.

Our lives are much less stressful than they were in NY. We had good timing though. My husband was able to easily get a job prior to moving. In addition, he started his own firm with another attorney and he is now making much more money than he made when he was working for a firm. Some of that is just the luck of timing though. Things are harder now than they were 9 years ago in terms of labor.

Quote:
I never said it was impossible. You'll never hear me use that word. I just dont want her or anyone to think that life will be rosy here, with way less than they did in a city like NY and live in Weston, or any affluent neighborhood comfortably. That's crazy. That's selling false hope.
I like to point out concrete facts, and things that people may not be aware of as well. However, it will be up to each individual to decide on their own. There are plusses and minuses to living here but whether it adds up for an individual family is hard to assess over the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 09:52 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
"In Weston there is tremendous pressure to "keek up with the Jones"

^^^ And that's sad, a lot of that here in Orlando too. So materialistic and fake some folks are. My neighbor, a nice guy, but always brags about how much his house was, and how much his car was, etc... and then I find out my wife makes more than he does, but my wife drives a 5 yr old car and our house is half the size of his.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:21 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,770,778 times
You are absolutely right Mister. Truthfully, I never thought that you were discouraging, just honest about your perspective. I'm not looking for rose colored glasses, but an objective opinion and I think you have given one. For that I thank you!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:02 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,770,778 times
To all of you thank you - I don't want anyone getting upset over my question it is the last thing I want! I take every one's opinion into account and I appreciate it as well. I have to ask these questions as I am not there yet and want to take as much in as I can!

Mister - you are right when you say I can live in LI, but the amount of time to travel is rediculous and I actually like my family (LOL), so I want to be home with them, not spending my life on a train. The places you mentioned Queens are not acceptable as they are very far and well not very integrated. I would stick out like a sore thumb to say the least. Now, please don't take offence by what I just said as it isn't meant to be negative. I just wouldn't want to live in any place that is geared to a specific group of people. I like that I have all sorts of neighbors. I realize that i will not have as much a variety in Florida, but it would be far less in the areas you suggested in Queens (if you could even believe that). Also, I was just using the $15 mark because that is what I was seeing in the Sentinel so, that is what I ran with. I am happy to hear that it is very likely that I will make more and it sounds like it is much closer to what I am making here than I thought. I am not going anywhere until school ends or a job that pays in the high 50's. Momma and Max's are 100% correct when they say I want a change of scenery! To add a bit to what you said about space. It makes complete sense to me that you find Atlanta better bang for your buck, but in the same breath you can then understand why I fing florida better bang for my buck coming from NY. Again thank you for all your advice, it really was objective and helpful. It has given me some new things to think about which I will!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area