Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:02 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I am in the IT field for the last 10 plus years. Most of my friends are programmers and network admins. While non of use have lost jobs we all have been looking for jobs else where. I assure you, finding a IT job right now is not the easiest thing in the world to do. One search on monster for jobs in dade and broward will prove that. Most are temp jobs and pay crap. New York City has a ton on monster but again a lot are temp jobs.
I imagine that IT jobs are more plentiful in an area with a major base like Jacksonville or Pensacola... Also I think that Defense contractor jobs are more secure than on the commercial side...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 11:10 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,133,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
I make $11.75 per hour and work part-time of 24 hours a week. They denied me and told me that I make too much money. Also they said no cash assistance for those who don't have a "family".

Pretty weird but it's so hard to find any type of job down here at this time.
Most of this state caters to old, financially static Republicans.

The rest of us are either commie collaborators or the hired help.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:39 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I imagine that IT jobs are more plentiful in an area with a major base like Jacksonville or Pensacola... Also I think that Defense contractor jobs are more secure than on the commercial side...
I work in higher education. I have worked for major fortune 100 companies in the past and I will NEVER go back to the private sector again. No job security what so ever.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:41 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,817 times
Quote:
I work in higher education. I have worked for major fortune 100 companies in the past and I will NEVER go back to the private sector again. No job security what so ever.
Civil Service>Contractor>Commercial in terms of job security in my opinion...

Old 06-26-2009, 01:10 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Well the good thing is, for a lot of these "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" types. A lot of them are not going to make it through this downturn. A lot of them are going to lose everything. I can't wait for that because I want to see how well their theories hold up.

Well since those are the guys that are paying the taxes so you can "Survive" on public assistance, you may not be all that happy with your opinion shortly when your check "isn't" in the mail.

Pretty much shows how clueless you are... And anyone else that whines about not having enough money, but has a cell phone, computer and Internet when they should spend the money on food and extra time playing on the Internet making stupid statements, insteasd of getting a second job like the rest of is did when we pulled ourselves up by the "Boot straps"

Old 06-26-2009, 01:36 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,751,508 times
Quote:
Well the good thing is, for a lot of these "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" types. A lot of them are not going to make it through this downturn. A lot of them are going to lose everything. I can't wait for that because I want to see how well their theories hold up.
They will do what the generations before them did that pulled themselves up by whatever means necessary....they will start over. The founding fathers some of whom had lots of $$$ lost everything and went on. What I am most interested in seeing is how you entitlement dolts react when you realize that the gov has no money left to give you anything.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:22 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well since those are the guys that are paying the taxes so you can "Survive" on public assistance, you may not be all that happy with your opinion shortly when your check "isn't" in the mail.

Pretty much shows how clueless you are... And anyone else that whines about not having enough money, but has a cell phone, computer and Internet when they should spend the money on food and extra time playing on the Internet making stupid statements, insteasd of getting a second job like the rest of is did when we pulled ourselves up by the "Boot straps"
i have three degrees, have worked at fortune 100 companies and now work in higher education so your ridiculous post doesn't apply over here sweet heart.

Secondly, I don't need a second job, my job pays well, so again doesn't apply here.

Third, one of my degrees is in economics, I have a firmer understanding on the economy and what is going on than most here so again doesn't apply

lastly, I really cant wait to see a lot of these pull yourself up by the boot strap types lose everything. I really want to see them put their theories to the test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
They will do what the generations before them did that pulled themselves up by whatever means necessary....they will start over. The founding fathers some of whom had lots of $$$ lost everything and went on. What I am most interested in seeing is how you entitlement dolts react when you realize that the gov has no money left to give you anything.
good theories, they sound cute and even funnier to those of us reading them that know history. Try researching what happened during the great depression. Many of the "pull yourself up by your boot strap" types lost everything and many died penniless and some committed suicide. Their metal was tested and they didn't make the grade. That is a historical fact. They founding fathers didn't face a economic tsunami which generated tons of wealth destruction. So again your theory just as the person above you doesn't hold up in light of reality/facts. Go to google video and I think if you type in "great depression" you will see a nice 1 plus hour video on the fincial oligarchs back then and it goes over what happend to them after the crash. Unfortunatly for them, the pull yourself up by the boot straps theory didn't hold up for them.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:45 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,713,503 times
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Wild Style again.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
i have three degrees, have worked at fortune 100 companies and now work in higher education so your ridiculous post doesn't apply over here sweet heart.

Secondly, I don't need a second job, my job pays well, so again doesn't apply here.

Third, one of my degrees is in economics, I have a firmer understanding on the economy and what is going on than most here so again doesn't apply

lastly, I really cant wait to see a lot of these pull yourself up by the boot strap types lose everything. I really want to see them put their theories to the test.

good theories, they sound cute and even funnier to those of us reading them that know history. Try researching what happened during the great depression. Many of the "pull yourself up by your boot strap" types lost everything and many died penniless and some committed suicide. Their metal was tested and they didn't make the grade. That is a historical fact. They founding fathers didn't face a economic tsunami which generated tons of wealth destruction. So again your theory just as the person above you doesn't hold up in light of reality/facts. Go to google video and I think if you type in "great depression" you will see a nice 1 plus hour video on the fincial oligarchs back then and it goes over what happend to them after the crash. Unfortunatly for them, the pull yourself up by the boot straps theory didn't hold up for them.
If those ledge jumpers during the crash had stayed in the stock market they would have recovered financially. There is an old saying "the foolish have a way of weeding themselves out of society." My parents were survivors of the depression and I find more truth in their stories than on Google. Glad you are employeed and successful and avoiding any pain from this downturn. Perhaps you can lend a hand, give some of your money to an unemployed family you run into. I think they did that during the depression, took people in, gave them money or food when the well off could give it. My parents lived with friends after the war when my dad returned. There will be millions of stories in the future revolving around this. You certainly can't save everyone, nor can the government. What are your ideas for solving this situation? I am not being flippant, just would like to hear some concrete suggestions instead of whatever history you dig up off of google.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Why would any person who has a soul want to see the demise of another because they feel trapped in his or her job or state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area