Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:54 AM

604 posts, read 4,622,424 times

Advertisements

Get a second job. I know plenty of people (teachers) who work nights/weekends/summers who work in restaurants or the mall making extra $$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 10:58 AM

305 posts, read 805,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post
Get a second job. I know plenty of people (teachers) who work nights/weekends/summers who work in restaurants or the mall making extra $$$
Gee, I never thought of that....

What the hell do you think I've been doing? Just haven't had the opportunity yet.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:00 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
should he create this second job through magic and incantations to satan? 10% unemployment in Florida, jobs are HARD to come by.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
I guess you don't live around here. Jobs are hard to come by. Even teens who will work for next to nothing are having trouble getting jobs this summer.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:58 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
At 11.75 part time, you are taking in... what... 1000/month roughly after taxes? Roughly?

In college I could eat on $5/day if I had to.

Even after $300/month rent (which I assume includes utilities?) that is enough for food. You won't eat steak, but the necessities in life are food, shelter, and clothing. Anything else the government is not to worry about.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,713,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Well the good thing is, for a lot of these "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" types. A lot of them are not going to make it through this downturn. A lot of them are going to lose everything. I can't wait for that because I want to see how well their theories hold up.

I hate to wish bad on anyone, but couldn't help thinking "amen to that," after reading your post.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:34 PM

924 posts, read 2,604,817 times
I'm 21 and have lived on my own since I was 18... When I moved out at 18 I made about $14/hr and that was in MD where the cost of living is significantly higher... I lived with a roommate and lived a very modest lifestyle... You can do it to... It used to **** me off when I was at the grocery store buying ramen noodle soup and off brand toilet paper while the person in front of me was 10+ years older than me and buying brand name stuff with food stamps...

I moved to FL about a month ago, I had no problem finding a job as a software developer and my girlfriend had a job locked down at Panera bread before we even moved... She makes $8.50/hr...

You're right it is tough to find a job right now depending on what you do... You know who I heard was hiring? The U.S. Marine Corps...

Old 06-25-2009, 01:11 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I hate to wish bad on anyone, but couldn't help thinking "amen to that," after reading your post.
Fauve,

don't get me wrong. I was unemployed during the dot com recession. I was out for almost one year and suffered financial ruin at that time. So I know how painful it can be, believe me. I wouldn't wish it on my enemy. With that said, it is just a matter of reality that a LOT of people are going to be affected by this. I mean if I can liken this depression to anything it would be like a mountain. Well we have just entered the foot hills. So as things get worse and finally make our way of the mountain, a lot of people will be hit by this. It stands to reason a lot of those hit will be those smug so and sos who believe they are the makers of their own destiny and that they can pull themselves up by their boot straps. Fortunately/unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) that wont be the case this time and I want to see them put their theories to the test. See if they still hold on to these ideas when things get crazy.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,713,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Fauve,

don't get me wrong. I was unemployed during the dot com recession. I was out for almost one year and suffered financial ruin at that time. So I know how painful it can be, believe me. I wouldn't wish it on my enemy. With that said, it is just a matter of reality that a LOT of people are going to be affected by this. I mean if I can liken this depression to anything it would be like a mountain. Well we have just entered the foot hills. So as things get worse and finally make our way of the mountain, a lot of people will be hit by this. It stands to reason a lot of those hit will be those smug so and sos who believe they are the makers of their own destiny and that they can pull themselves up by their boot straps. Fortunately/unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) that wont be the case this time and I want to see them put their theories to the test. See if they still hold on to these ideas when things get crazy.
And, it'll be a nice bonus when it's the Obama administration keeping them off the street!

Old 06-25-2009, 01:31 PM

845 posts, read 2,744,193 times
Well I was in Americorps in Oregon and I was getting about $700 a month after tax. When you are in Americorps you are not allowed to get a second job. My rent was $400 and I qualified for a whopping $14 in food stamps. It really sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area