Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:50 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Fauve - how would you know what your child could get in the way of a scholarship. I would like to give my boys every opportunity possible too. As you know NYC only gives academic scholarships, nothing to do with Sports, which I think my boys may actually qualify for. However, who knows baseball and basketball is played year round I'm sure so, they may actually be behind a bit.
My son took the scholarship exam in 8th grade and is on academic scholarship. Academic scholarships are 50% or 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 05:52 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Hey Momma how are you -Hope all is well - that is really excellent to know, I will definitely look into that, a free ride to AH sounds really good to me. Can you get both academic and sports?

Old 03-11-2009, 05:54 PM

this is fantastic - I'm definitely going to ask about this. Thank you fauve.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:55 PM

This is music to my ears Momma - I hope that my Josh can get in.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Hey Momma how are you -Hope all is well - that is really excellent to know, I will definitely look into that, a free ride to AH sounds really good to me. Can you get both academic and sports?
I would go and tour the school and ask about scholarship opportunities. I do not think that give official sports scholarships and it would only apply for high school. They do give parents and opportunity to work for the school in return for tution. As a result there are some middle class kids mixed in with the rich kids, but the school does have quite a number of rich kids. My son was invited to a b-day party on the family yacht in the fall.

Are your kids true stars where they are? Do you have highlight videos? The big sports at AH are baseball, basketball, soccer and football.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
This may be just in the high school, but my son was sitting in one o his AP classes and the conversation turned to scholarships. Of the 14 kids in the class not one of them was there without a scholarship. To make this even more interesting is that one of the kids was the son of a golf pro and 2 were the kids of doctors.

Most of the kids are learning the value of a dollar quickly in this economy. There were a lot more ostentatious displays of wealth in years past. It is much cooler to be driving a "Smart Car" than a Lexus right now. There are also a ton of kids working to pay for their own cars and insurance. If you are not hung up on money, your kids won't be, and they won't hang out with kids who are.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:02 PM

Honey girl, we are on the same page with that. I don't have enough money to be hung up on it - LOL.

Okay, but now I have to get to the part that is really giving me the heart attack. 14 kids in a class? That is just down right amazing. I really hope my son is given a scholarship. Sounds like it is more likely than less.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
If you are not hung up on money, your kids won't be, and they won't hang out with kids who are.
I agree 100% with this statement.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:26 PM

Momma, I'm the quintessential soccer mom. I'm involved in every sport they participate in. Right now that is Baseball, Basketball and Football. My oldest plays for a travel team and is pretty special here, but I don't know how he would fair there. Baseball is played all year around there, so he might be behind. I won't know that until we get there and I put him in Little League. Basketball and Football are played for fun, but he is okay at thoses sports. My youngest is just one of those kids that are good at what ever they put there hands on. He plays for both a travel baseball and a travel basketball team. He is in the 2nd grade and plays for the 3rd grade team. I don't know what will come of any of their activities if anything.

I'm a proud mom, but don't like to brag about them too much. If they have a bad day, I will have the world looking at me like what the heck is she talking about - LOL. I love them so much that I don't care whether they play well or not. It is just fun for me to go through this with them.

So, to answer your question Momma, I am pretty sure they are stars, but I would like to be more modest about it if you know what I mean. Obviously, the level of play there is different than here. I'm just hoping it isn't that far off. I mean I have other people tell me they think the boys are very good, but who knows whether their opinion is valid or not. I guess I'll know better when we finally move and they are amongst the other kids. I hope they do fine.

Last edited by Shoegal1075; 03-12-2009 at 01:08 PM..

Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 PM

13 posts, read 27,689 times
Hi There...
Im also looking into private school for my kids. I have heard great things about AH and PC. I have also heard things about Broward Prep. Not all so good im afraid. I have heard alot of parents have been pulling their kids out but have not heard why. I always heard great things about them until now. Does anyone know why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area