Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:53 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,764,850 times

Advertisements

How generous are these scholarships Fauve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 11:40 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,708,707 times
Partial to full. They cover fine arts, academic, financial need, athletics, disabilities, etc.

American Heritage Plantation Campus

Old 03-10-2009, 12:22 PM

9 posts, read 49,452 times
Default A question about American Heritage

It sounds like American Heritage has a more down to earth approach/student body than Pine Crest.
Does Pine Crest have the reputation of being the best academic school but not the best community?
What do you like most about American Heritage? What kind of colleges do the students get into? Also where do the majority of the families live that go to American Heritage?

Old 03-10-2009, 12:29 PM

Momma _Bear,
We have family in Stuart and are so we are considering the Palm Beach Gardens area but we have spent more time in the Boca Raton area over the past years. Can you provide any insight as to which area is safer and more family friendly? Thanks1

Old 03-10-2009, 01:25 PM

Pinecrest has traditionally been known as the best school in S Florida. You really can't go wrong with either.

In recent years, with the growth in communties out west, Heritage has, imo, really taken the lead. Heritage this year has done better in many areas including number of NMS finalists and the performance of its math team, just to think of a few. Also, Heritage's athletic and fine arts programs can't be beat. The addition of pre-law, pre-med and this year, pre-engineering, has been attracting a number of top students. They also give every AP class under the sun.

Definitely visit both along with University School and N Broward Prep. Where you decide to live will probably count for a great deal. But these are the best schools. I also like Sagemont in Weston very much for lower school.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:22 PM

Smile Fauve reply!

Thank you for all the info on schools. I have another question. What is it like to live in Florida and did you grow up down there?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:49 PM

We all have our opinions on S Florida on this board, and you just asked someone who's not a huge fan I grew up in NYC and while I wouldn't go back there, because I'm not a huge fan of the cold, I'd like to either live in an area of Florida that's less suburban (walk to shops, restaurants, etc) at the beach, or leave the country entirely (I'm crazy about the small towns in central Mexico).

Definitely consider whether the western suburban developments are for you, or whether you would prefer a place closer to the beach. Going the private school route definitely gives you the flexiblity to live in the nicer downtown areas, like Victoria Park.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:13 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,764,850 times
Fauve - how would you know what your child could get in the way of a scholarship. I would like to give my boys every opportunity possible too. As you know NYC only gives academic scholarships, nothing to do with Sports, which I think my boys may actually qualify for. However, who knows baseball and basketball is played year round I'm sure so, they may actually be behind a bit.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 PM

^^^ Call the school and make some inquiries. This is the time of year they are making decisions for next year's class, especially regarding scholarships. A visit and try-outs coordinated with your next visit would be the way to go. Their number is 954-472-0022. They are also open to doing barter with parents - like your husband could do plumbing work, or you could be a secretary(paid) - staff/faculty kids get free tuition. They are definitely flexible and open to suggestions.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:49 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr4141 View Post
It sounds like American Heritage has a more down to earth approach/student body than Pine Crest.
Does Pine Crest have the reputation of being the best academic school but not the best community?
What do you like most about American Heritage? What kind of colleges do the students get into? Also where do the majority of the families live that go to American Heritage?
My kids are at AH also and I don't agree that all the kids are down to earth. There is a mix of kids in high school because there are scholarship opportunities. However, if you pick your kids up in the student lot many luxury cars driven by 17 year olds are on display. I do like that AH has many international students though. It makes for a very enriching school environoment. I also like that AH doesn't focus solely on academics or sports, or the arts, but maintains a healthy balance for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area