Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,323 times

Advertisements

Hi, long time lurker here decided to make an account just to post a question that has been a taking most of my mental space. My husband is graduating medical school in 2 months. He is specializing and his top choices to continue his career is New York Presbyterian (Columbia ) and another hospital in Florida not prestigious but somewhat close to family >200 miles. We need to make a decision on his job offers but we have 2 little girls ages 4, and 2 that drives our conflict. We are not sure if it’s better to take the NY offer with better school systems or if to stay closer to the family. What would you all take into consideration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2023, 12:39 AM

786 posts, read 485,117 times
I'm 50 years old born and raised in Queens, NY. Actually looking to move to Florida which is why I'm in this forum. Every one of my friends that grew up in any part of NYC that have kids and have the means to leave (either by job relocation or by retirement (ex: nypd, fdny), ARE GETTING THE HELL OUT. Most left years ago to greener pastures (literally).

Cost of living aside, the quality of life in the "nice" parts of the boroughs, like outer Queens/Long Island, NJ or even Westchester is on the decline. Nevermind living in a place like Manhattan or Brooklyn/Bronx with kids. Would never think of it. It would be ok for now since your kids are really young and at home but by middle school then high school you run into problems. Especially high school. Most are terrible...and becoming ever more dangerous. In NYC you can either pay ridiculous tuition for a private catholic school or try and get into one of the eight specialized schools like Stuyesant or Bronx Science. But I'd never let a kid, even a younger teen get on the subway nowadays. And it's only getting worse as more of the middle class of NYC leaves (to Florida) and are replaced by Central American migrants who are flooding public schools by the thousands.

Not such great schools in Florida > NYC quality of life and possibility of crime/danger

Old 03-03-2023, 03:37 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
I'm 50 years old born and raised in Queens, NY. Actually looking to move to Florida which is why I'm in this forum. Every one of my friends that grew up in any part of NYC that have kids and have the means to leave (either by job relocation or by retirement (ex: nypd, fdny), ARE GETTING THE HELL OUT. Most left years ago to greener pastures (literally).

Cost of living aside, the quality of life in the "nice" parts of the boroughs, like outer Queens/Long Island, NJ or even Westchester is on the decline. Nevermind living in a place like Manhattan or Brooklyn/Bronx with kids. Would never think of it. It would be ok for now since your kids are really young and at home but by middle school then high school you run into problems. Especially high school. Most are terrible...and becoming ever more dangerous. In NYC you can either pay ridiculous tuition for a private catholic school or try and get into one of the eight specialized schools like Stuyesant or Bronx Science. But I'd never let a kid, even a younger teen get on the subway nowadays. And it's only getting worse as more of the middle class of NYC leaves (to Florida) and are replaced by Central American migrants who are flooding public schools by the thousands.

Not such great schools in Florida > NYC quality of life and possibility of crime/danger
I would think twice with leadership in FL doing all they can to dumb down public education (eliminating AP classes) and unbelievably make it a constitutional carry state for guns. Look at other warmer weather states like GA or NC for comparison and better options going forward.

Old 03-03-2023, 04:43 PM

451 posts, read 456,230 times
Quote:

I doubt many people move to Florida for their kids sake. I think they do it for themselves.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:17 PM

20,038 posts, read 20,839,727 times
Florida.
NY schools are garbage. Don’t believe the hype. They suck.
And everything about the NY metro area sucks.
Get out while you can.

Old 03-03-2023, 08:35 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would think twice with leadership in FL doing all they can to dumb down public education (eliminating AP classes) and unbelievably make it a constitutional carry state for guns. Look at other warmer weather states like GA or NC for comparison and better options going forward.
Have you experienced the curriculums in greater NY vs FL? If not, you can’t provide an accurate comparison. I’ve experienced both. NY has some good institutions but the public school curriculum is abysmal. I would never *ever* send my kids to public in NY. And the private schools in greater NYC are 3x what they would cost for private in FL. The educational quality isn’t far enough apart to justify the insane cost difference.

Put down your politics when answering these threads. The OP didn’t ask for it.

Old 03-03-2023, 09:24 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Have you experienced the curriculums in greater NY vs FL? If not, you can’t provide an accurate comparison. I’ve experienced both. NY has some good institutions but the public school curriculum is abysmal. I would never *ever* send my kids to public in NY. And the private schools in greater NYC are 3x what they would cost for private in FL. The educational quality isn’t far enough apart to justify the insane cost difference.

Put down your politics when answering these threads. The OP didn’t ask for it.
Perhaps not but it's 100% relevant when discussing school quality present to future, as well as the perception of value attached of those in charge of charting FL's public school education in the coming years.

Old 03-04-2023, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
I doubt many people move to Florida for their kids sake. I think they do it for themselves.
Are you serious? I know dozens of families from the NY area that have moved to Florida. Both West and East coasts. Especially the Tampa area. Saving on state taxes is indeed looking out for your kids.

Old 03-04-2023, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Perhaps not but it's 100% relevant when discussing school quality present to future, as well as the perception of value attached of those in charge of charting FL's public school education in the coming years.
They literally are throwing out historical standards to gain entry into "high end" NYC public schools that have been in place for decades. All in the name of DEI. So if you have a smart kid who wants to be challenged, he/she will have a tough time finding it in NYC over the next 10 years or so. Nothing is worse for a smart kid than to be held back in a class with kids who can't keep up.

I know nothing about FL schools, just being honest. But whatever preconceived notion anyone from outside of NYC has about NYC schools being elite should go out the window. And even worse than that is that vast majority of "regular" kids who learn at regular grade level in middle class neighborhoods are now stuck in classes with 30 and 40+ students due to mass influx of both legal/illegal immigration from around the world. Talk to any NYC school teacher and they will tell you what a nightmare position they've been forced into. These are the folks you want leading a kid's education?

Old 03-04-2023, 04:50 AM

451 posts, read 456,230 times
Quote:
Are you serious? I know dozens of families from the NY area that have moved to Florida. Both West and East coasts. Especially the Tampa area. Saving on state taxes is indeed looking out for your kids.
Yes I'm serious. I moved to FL when I retired and my kids were middle aged. They had an idyllic childhood in a small NJ town. I would never have uprooted them for taxes. I can see leaving the sprawl of city life, but don't think Florida is the best choice for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area