Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 08:49 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
Yes I'm serious. I moved to FL when I retired and my kids were middle aged. They had an idyllic childhood in a small NJ town. I would never have uprooted them for taxes. I can see leaving the sprawl of city life, but don't think Florida is the best choice for kids.
That very much depends where in NY/NJ and where in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 05:44 PM

278 posts, read 316,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
Yes I'm serious. I moved to FL when I retired and my kids were middle aged. They had an idyllic childhood in a small NJ town. I would never have uprooted them for taxes. I can see leaving the sprawl of city life, but don't think Florida is the best choice for kids.
Gotta say, this is a very subjective view. Im also a former New Yorker who chose Florida to raise a family independent of tax reasons. When I graduated college in miami after leaving NY, I wasn’t making enough to even recognize the tax benefits in Florida lol. My wife and I chose to stay here because of weather, great school system for our eventual family in weston, year round sports and activities etc… and now that we are almost 12 years removed from university with better jobs, also consider ourselves lucky to in a tax friendly state.

Old 03-05-2023, 05:50 AM

451 posts, read 455,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrekid View Post
Gotta say, this is a very subjective view. Im also a former New Yorker who chose Florida to raise a family independent of tax reasons. When I graduated college in miami after leaving NY, I wasn’t making enough to even recognize the tax benefits in Florida lol. My wife and I chose to stay here because of weather, great school system for our eventual family in weston, year round sports and activities etc… and now that we are almost 12 years removed from university with better jobs, also consider ourselves lucky to in a tax friendly state.
Did you move your kids from a different state?

Old 03-08-2023, 10:36 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
New York Presbyterian/Columbia. I don't think that he should pass that up. You don't have to stay there forever. If or when you choose to leave the area having (Wow!) that on your resume will make things easier.

Old 03-08-2023, 02:07 PM

17,614 posts, read 6,894,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would think twice with leadership in FL doing all they can to dumb down public education (eliminating AP classes) and unbelievably make it a constitutional carry state for guns. Look at other warmer weather states like GA or NC for comparison and better options going forward.
Nobody is "eliminating AP classes" in Florida. Just another lie. AP courses that push "***** theory" and discrimination based on race are illegal here in Florida, which they should be. If you or the OP don't like it, then pick another state, because that stuff is not going to be taught in Florida schools anytime soon.

Old 03-08-2023, 02:18 PM

846 posts, read 680,865 times
Your children will probably get a better education in NY.

But it may be easier for your children to be in the top of their class in FL, since their education is less competitive. Though you may need to take some extra time out of your day to help tutor your kids and teach them whatever they need to so they can be ahead of the class.

Because if you just leave them to the Florida education system, they may have the performance of the average Florida student.

Old 03-08-2023, 02:23 PM

846 posts, read 680,865 times
The avg high school sophomore from NJ/NY writes better papers than the avg college sophomore in FL.

Old 03-08-2023, 02:31 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Your children will probably get a better education in NY.

But it may be easier for your children to be in the top of their class in FL, since their education is less competitive. Though you may need to take some extra time out of your day to help tutor your kids and teach them whatever they need to so they can be ahead of the class.

Because if you just leave them to the Florida education system, they may have the performance of the average Florida student.
I went on the federal gov't website and was surprised to see that Florida's students are doing better than New York. Years ago I would have argued that fact but not anymore. I grew up and raised my children on Long Island. I have lived in Vermont for almost 20 years and the education system here is horrible. High education taxes with nothing to show for it.

When my husband was alive, his grandchildren would come and spend a few weeks with us. I was blown away by how well educated they were. Their teachers deserved every penny they made, and I'm sure they made a lot. They were from a nice area of New Jersey.

Old 03-10-2023, 07:23 AM

317 posts, read 825,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Are you serious? I know dozens of families from the NY area that have moved to Florida. Both West and East coasts. Especially the Tampa area. Saving on state taxes is indeed looking out for your kids.
If your homeowner's insurance is double what you paid in NY state taxes, does that make you a bad parent?

Old 03-10-2023, 07:27 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,265,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litgirl29 View Post
Hi, long time lurker here decided to make an account just to post a question that has been a taking most of my mental space. My husband is graduating medical school in 2 months. He is specializing and his top choices to continue his career is New York Presbyterian (Columbia ) and another hospital in Florida not prestigious but somewhat close to family >200 miles. We need to make a decision on his job offers but we have 2 little girls ages 4, and 2 that drives our conflict. We are not sure if it’s better to take the NY offer with better school systems or if to stay closer to the family. What would you all take into consideration?

If you plan on sending your kids to college, FL offers the best deal. We have Bright Futures for kids that are high achievers in high school to help pay costs for college and the Florida state universities are still a relative bargain compared to other states. U of F is called Harvard of the South.

If you don't like the public school system, FL has tons of "charter schools".

I moved to FL with my three sons from New Jersey 23 years ago when they were 6 and 7 years old. They all did wonderfully in school and went on to state universities here. None of them have student loans more than 27K and all have great jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area