Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 07:18 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times

Advertisements

Two young children and everything that involves, I hope that the OP comes back to comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 07:30 AM

276 posts, read 747,337 times
why does OP think she has to live in NY? live in NJ or in Conn and commute!!

Old 03-25-2023, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 7,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
They literally are throwing out historical standards to gain entry into "high end" NYC public schools that have been in place for decades. All in the name of DEI. So if you have a smart kid who wants to be challenged, he/she will have a tough time finding it in NYC over the next 10 years or so. Nothing is worse for a smart kid than to be held back in a class with kids who can't keep up.

I know nothing about FL schools, just being honest. But whatever preconceived notion anyone from outside of NYC has about NYC schools being elite should go out the window. And even worse than that is that vast majority of "regular" kids who learn at regular grade level in middle class neighborhoods are now stuck in classes with 30 and 40+ students due to mass influx of both legal/illegal immigration from around the world. Talk to any NYC school teacher and they will tell you what a nightmare position they've been forced into. These are the folks you want leading a kid's education?
This is alarmist and false. What historical standards are being “thrown out”? I hope you’re not referring to the SHSAT which is still fully intact and operational.

Further, what school in NYC in the last 40 years has not experienced a “mass influx” of immigration? It’s NYC, there’s always a ton of immigration and large class sizes. You told another poster to “put [his] politics down” but you need to take your own advice.

OP, as a third generation NYer, I don’t know much about FL schools but I know statistically FL hasn’t had a great reputation in terms of scholastic achievement. That said, I left NYC to go somewhere less congested, cold, dirty, and dangerous. And so far I couldn’t be happier. Ditto to whoever said the lack of state tax going straight into the kiddo’s 529 doesn’t hurt either

Old 03-25-2023, 04:07 PM

184 posts, read 316,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Kudos!

Metro Areas(MSA) by % of Public High Schools in the Top 25% Nationally, 2022

73% San Jose
57% Miami
56% Los Angeles
54% San Francisco
54% Milwaukee
54% Bridgeport
54% Hartford
51% Boston
51% McAllen, TX
50% Washington DC
50% Madison, WI
49% Raleigh
49% Orlando
45% Austin
44% Tampa
42% Seattle
42% New York
42% Houston
42% San Diego
42% Sacramento
41% Chicago
40% Grand Rapids
40% Jacksonville
39% Dallas
39% Buffalo
38% Atlanta
38% Minneapolis
38% Rochester, NY
38% Virginia Beach
37% Denver
37% Worcester
36% Durham
36% Baltimore
36% Little Rock
35% Springfield, MA
34% Cleveland
34% El Paso
33% Albany, NY
33% Cincinnati
33% Columbus
33% Fresno

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...hools?slide=42

Old 04-08-2023, 07:46 AM

17,293 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionsdolph View Post
Comparing the Miami Metro area schools isn't exactly fair. Miami is actually a completely different county than Broward (Ft Lauderdale) and no doubt the OP was going to end up in a suburb like Weston that has significantly better schools.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:49 AM

17,293 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
If you plan on sending your kids to college, FL offers the best deal. We have Bright Futures for kids that are high achievers in high school to help pay costs for college and the Florida state universities are still a relative bargain compared to other states. U of F is called Harvard of the South.

If you don't like the public school system, FL has tons of "charter schools".

I moved to FL with my three sons from New Jersey 23 years ago when they were 6 and 7 years old. They all did wonderfully in school and went on to state universities here. None of them have student loans more than 27K and all have great jobs.
Ok........UF is a fantastic school (ranked 5th in public universities nationwide, UVA is #1) but anytime you advertise something as "Harvard" linked it actually reflects poorly on the school you are trying to promote.

The ultimate combo is FL prepaid and Bright Futures, kids would graduate with cash in the bank and no debt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area